Thursday, May 28, 2009

Forties Retro

Does anyone remember the fabric that was designed by Sharon Yenter called Forties Retro that was around in 2004? Have you made anything with it?

I made this simple 9 patch large lap size quilt with it and still love it, 5 years later.

It was such a sweetly designed fabric range with flowers, cherries and teacups, as well as a lady doing her washing and ironing. How cute. I love the stripe which made a fun binding.

I learnt how to do mitred corners for the first time. Still not sure if I did it the right way, but at least they looked ok.

Here's another pic of the lady on wash day...I couldn't resist it! (my photo's don't do her justice, sorry).

For this quilt I purchased 25cm (10inch) of each fabric, and extra for the borders and binding. Once the squares for the front of the quilt are cut up and the quilt top is made, anything left over can then go into making the back of the quilt. This way, most of the fabric bought is used up.

Aren't we so fortunate with the AMAZING ranges of fabric out there these days.... just waiting for us to find them, buy them, cut them up and sew them into a wonderful quilt!! What fun.

13 comments:

Béa said...

So simple, so beautiful ! I love it. Kiss from France

Janet said...

What a neat quilt. I have a fabric very similar with retro ladies and with a wash day theme. I love the back of the quilt too.

Andi said...

Gorgeous quilt!
I feel the same way about the fabric range containing the old "Dick and Jane". Such childhood memories for me!
Andi :-)

Jackie said...

The quilt is absolutely gorgeous! The Front and back are just amazing.

Susan said...

Beautiful quilt. The colors are so lovely. Very creative backing too.

Nedra said...

Beautiful quilts. Thanks for sharing. I saw some fabric yesterday that had similar pictures so I know there is a new line out there.

comfortstitching said...

ooOOh! this fabric is right up my street! Domesticity made divinely glamourous!!
Love how you used it in your lovely lap quilt.

imquilternity said...

What a beautiful quilt. Great binding fabric!

RED PEPPER QUILTS said...

Oh that fabric line brings back memories! I love the quilt that you made, both the front and the back. Lovely design!

Rita

erica e said...

i love this. sometime the simplest (9 patch) is the best. beautiful!

cathleen said...

Oh, my, I adore your quilt. The fabrics are so darn cute. You did a great job on it.

Kathie said...

Love this quilt you made, what fun fabric!

Darlene said...

I had to leave a comment about this quilt and fabric! :-) I've had it stacked neatly waiting for 'the' project - wanting to make sure I make best use of it. LOL Your quilt is darling! I have enough of the white with the clothes on the line for backing. Thank you for sharing yours!