Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Mmmm what to make?

When Kaffe Fassett's new fabric line came out a little while ago with this sumptuous fabric called 'Russian Rose', I just knew I had to make something with it.

It's such an unusual colour grouping, with the vivid orange background, the brown, red and tan roses and the brilliant aqua and raspberry leaves. I couldn't resist it. And then Brandon Mably had his first fabric collection (congrats Brandon, great job) and I fell in love with his spotty fabric called 'Dapple'. I thought I might use these two fabrics together in my next quilt.

I'm also thinking of using one of my all time favourite fabrics from Philip Jacobs called 'Banded Poppy'. This is an older range now and I love each colourway in this range, but especially love it in the sage.

But what to make with them? I'm thinking it will have to be something simple and quick, to offset all the hexagons and needleturn applique I am doing (so time consuming). Sometimes you just want to get results fast, don't you agree?! Hopefully I will have something to show in a few days.

I am on the edge of my seat at the moment waiting with anticipation for the new fabric lines coming out from our Westminster friends next month. You can go here to see that Kaffe, Brandon and Philip have come up with some beauties, and there are some cute bag patterns from Amy.

I'm off to play with my fabrics!!


9 comments:

Nedra said...

You know I love anything Kaffe. In fact, I'm going to do a post with some of his fabric this evening.

comfortstitching said...

And i'm on the edge of my seat waiting to see what you do with these spell bindingly lovely fabrics. I have a little of the russian rose in pink and in deep red, I've also got a few half metres of different colourways of banded poppy.
The only trouble with these fabrics I find is that you have to cut them up large so you still get all the glorious charm of the prints else they get lost. I'm sure you'll come up with something extremly covetable!!!

alobsiger said...

I love your fabric combo! That Russian rose color is so pretty. I'm awaiting the new fabrics also--some of the best are coming!

Karen said...

Russian Rose. A very good name for that fabric. And I think the dots you picked go with it well.

Crafty Girls Workshop said...

OK, I have two pattern suggestions (if you would accept my humble opinion.) One is from the book Material Obsession by two Australian quilters, one of whom is Sarah Feilke. The pattern is called Avalon, and it is both FAST and great for those LARGE scale prints! It just uses 12 fat quarters and they are sashed with a 3" white (or other solid) border. If you want something a little more involved than that, have you heard of the patterns called Turning Twenty? I just finished one called Turning Twenty Again (it uses 20 fat quaters) and I used bright and sort of busy fabrics, but I think the quilt turned out cute. You can see pictures of both of these quilts I've made (the tops at least) on my personal blog http://sewgoodsewfar.wordpress.com Good luck and I'll be curious to see what you end up choosing!

Anna

Janet said...

I can't keep up with their fabrics although I do my best. I can't wait to see what you come up with using that colourway. It's going to look so rich. The banded poppy looks fantastic next to the orange.

Bronwyn said...

There are just so many wonderful Kaffe fabrics - and now there are more coming - the Buttons design is going to make people squeal! and I love the Gothic...oh so many to choose from!

lil said...

that russian rose and dapple combo thrills me

anyway, all of his fabrics are killing me, lol, as your work, lol again

Jenny said...

yummy combo