Friday, May 22, 2009

Wallpapered Goodness

As you know from my last post, I wanted to make a simple quilt with some of the gorgeous Westminster fabrics that I love. Anna kindly suggested a quilt from Material Obsessions first book called Avalon (Thanks Anna, I really appreciated your input). I have made Avalon before and it IS so easy and would be perfect to showcase the large florals. However I have decided to go even easier, and simply cut the fabrics into long strips. I pulled together more of the fabrics with the large, delicious flowers all over them, and picked up a few fabrics with smaller prints such as dots or stars or damask. The larger florals I then cut into 7 inch strips and the smaller prints into 2 inch strips. It took an afternoon to cut the strips and arrange them to my liking, and about 45 minutes to sew it all together. Very quick, very easy and I'm very happy with the result.

I think it shows off the large, repeated florals beautifully. It reminds me of oldfashioned wallpaper so I'm thinking of calling it Wallpapered Goodness (or something like that?!).

I have ordered some fabric for the back of the quilt from Quilternity's shop, Terri has Kaffe fabrics at a fabulous price. Then I will need to think about how to quilt it. I usually leave my new quilt tops hanging over a lounge chair for a couple of days and hope that inspiration will come to me as I walk past it. Again, something simple I think.

This quilt makes me feel happy....a quick and easy, fun and cheery quilt to make as we are coming into winter here in Melbourne. Once it's quilted I think it will live on the back of one of my lounge chairs to brighten up the place through the cold season.

Have a lovely weekend xo

16 comments:

Robyn said...

Oh yumm Cathy!!
This looks fantastic and does showcase the florals really well.
I do the same as you...leave the quilt laying around to ponder as I pass by.
What a wonderful project.

Robyn xx

Nedra said...

I'll say it again.... love those Kaffes.

imquilternity said...

"Wallpapered Goodness" is the perfect name for this gorgeous and very simple quilt! Can't wait to see how you quilt it and bring it to life.

RED PEPPER QUILTS said...

I always love simple quilts that just show-off the lovely fabrics. This is a feast for the eyes, so colorful and beautiful. Thanks for sharing. I might just have to make one with my stash of Kaffe fabrics.

Rita

Janet said...

Well you did say quick and simple and it does showcase the fabics, it's going to look great when it's quilted. I love the strippy style. Wallpaper strips, fabulous.

comfortstitching said...

Beautiful!! You did so well and SO quick too. I love these big and blowsey florals in quilts and you've inspired me to get on and do something with mine (about time too!!!).

Joanna said...

Gorgeous!! Just beautiful! Kaffe would love this :)

gypsylulu said...

I am a Kaffe fan too!...love your quilt here!

amandajean said...

oh, i love it! it's the perfect quilt to show off all those pretty florals. i have one similar to that on my list of quilts to make.

Deb said...

This looks fabulous Cath. I feel so privileged to be able to enjoy your quilts "in the flesh"! You're so brave and courageous with colour, and you get amazing results. Go girl!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
jean said...

Cathy
Your quilt is divine,it really showcases those gorgeous fabrics, and the name is just perfect. I will look forward to see what you put on the back.

clare's craftroom said...

It is really beautiful , I love its happiness !

Maree said...

Love how these Fabrics have come together...How Gorgeous they are...
cheers

Bronwyn said...

Looks great! Have you seen Jane Brocket's latest post - I immediately thought of her with this style.

Bluebell said...

What a great idea the fabrics in this quilt are beautiful I love florals and these are stunning, well done! that is such an easy quilt to do and I'm all for that.