Saturday, June 13, 2009

Afternoon for Auction

My lovely friend Deb contacted me recently and asked if I could help her make some coathangers that could then be auctioned off to raise money to help a blind girl who lives in a slum in Thailand. Another friend of ours is holding a silent auction this Sunday to raise the money, and many people will bring handmade items to include in the auction. These silent auctions are a fun afternoon, firstly to make something handmade to bring to the auction, then to inspect what other people have made or bought along, and to have a chance to bid on any items you might like to buy.

So with this in mind, Deb and I spent last Saturday, firstly going through my rather embarassingly large fabric stash, trying to choose which colours to make our coathangers. The rest of the day was spent cutting out fabric and pellon, pinning, making frills and sewing. (This is a photo of Deb, hard at work)!

These coathangers take a bit of time to make and we were able to make 5 of them for the auction.

The pattern we used was called 'Dress it Up' which is a Mum's Moment pattern. Mum's Moment was a wonderful patchwork shop in Brisbane that I worked in for a while (sadly, it's closed now)!! You can still purchase this pattern from Mum's Moment, just let me know if you want their details.

These coathangers also make wonderful gifts and I have made quite a few of these over the years to give away as birthday presents. Deb and I had a wonderful day together, it's so much fun having a sewing day with a friend. Hopefully we will be able to raise some money and send it to the young girl in Thailand.

8 comments:

Nedra said...

Very cute coat hangers. I predict they will sell fast. I'll e-mail you with another coat hanger idea.

Bunny said...

These are adorable love them wish we could get the pattern in Canada. They would make great gifts. Good luck with the sale.

sheddy said...

Is the pattern available in the US? Love to have it.

Sarah said...

GREAT blog! I have only just found you!
Lovely coathangers - I think I have that in my ever growing 'stash' lol
x Sarah

Janet said...

They are beautiful and what a great idea, not only for the auction but as gifts too. Good luck raising as much money as you can.

Dew Drop Inn~*~(Diary of a Quilter in Kentucky) said...

You have done a wonderful job...the colors are cheery....COngrads on a job well done

Bronwyn said...

The coathangers are simple lovely - I have had that sort of project in the back of my mind for a long time now - good luck with the auction! It is funny you mentioning that you like Fig Tree Quilts fabric too (Patisserie) - I feel the same way - they attract me but I'm not sure why, when I love Kaffe colour so much (as do you). They seem quite opposite each other.

imquilternity said...

Love the coat hangers and for such a good cause! How nice of you...