Friday, June 5, 2009

Half Hexagon Quilt Along

The lovely Aneela over at Comfortstitching has started a Half Hexagon quilt along and I've decided to join in the fun. The idea is to make a hexagon quilt that is sewed on the sewing machine, rather than English paper pieced, thereby being a lot quicker to put together! It has taken me a while to decide on which fabrics I will use for this quilt. I have finally decided on a 2 colour quilt....raspberry and aqua.

Aren't these colours delicious? I know the blue and white jug did not need to be in the photo, but he decided to sneak in and I didn't have the heart to tell him to go stand somewhere else!

So I have chosen the colour of the quilt, cut some of the fabric into 2 1/2 inch strips, now I'm off to make the half hexagon template and cut them all out. Hopefully I will have something to show you in a few days or so...at least some half hexagons on my design wall!!

I will leave you with a pic of my favourite tree in our garden...our humble lemon tree. I love our little lemon tree, its glossy green leaves, white flowers and bright yellow fruit brings joy to my heart. Sometimes the simple things are the best.

Have a lovely weekend xo

13 comments:

RED PEPPER QUILTS said...

What wonderful fabrics you have chosen! I am off to check out the Half Hexagon Quilt Along! See what ii's all about. Thanks for the inspiration!

Rita

Jackie said...

I love the fabrics that you chose. Now since I am doing a traditional english paper pieced hexagon quilt, I surely must check out this one. Off to the link

Janet said...

I love it when you post, your colour choices are inspiring. I'm going to look forward to seeing how this comes along. I have an old lemon tree, it needs to come out, every time we get the green lemons, the cockatoos come and eat them. The darn things never forget either.

Kathleen said...

ooh can't wait to see our our progression with the quiltalong and i bow to you as the kaffe master

Joanna said...

I do believe I counted no less than 5 of those same fabrics in my own stash so you KNOW I love your choices!!!

comfortstitching said...

Cathy your fabric choices are as always exceptional, I just know you are going to come up with another awe inspiring quilt. I love your bold sense of colour!!!!
And lemons...just a sniff of one....instant happiness!!!!!

amy said...

Beautiful fabric choices, Cathy! I was just poking through the quilt-along notice the other day...looks enticing and fun!

Andi said...

Heavenly fabrics.
Wish I had the time to join in the quilt along.
Maybe I'll be a late joiner in a couple of months
Andi :-)

danielle said...

beautiful fabric- cant wait to see your progress

Maree said...

Gorgeous Fabrics...I am to pop on over too & have a look...looking forward to seeing your Hexie's come together.....
cheers

clare's craftroom said...

Oh yes beautiful fabric . Thankyou for following my blog it's nice to meet you .

cathleen said...

Those yummy colors are going to be totally delicious together. Cannot wait to see how they play together!

Dew Drop Inn~*~(Diary of a Quilter in Kentucky) said...

i am patical to hexagons( english paper pieced)....I really like your idea here...