Friday, June 26, 2009

Long Weekend

I'm a little bit sad today, Mum and Dad left this morning. We had a wonderful time together, I guess the blessing of living so far away from family is that when they visit you get to spend quality time with them. I have almost finished the socks I was knitting with Mum, just the toe on the second sock to finish off.

During the week the backing for my half hexies quilt turned up, I have spent some time this afternoon cutting out the half hexies for the feature strip I wanted to put into the backing.

The fabric I have used is from the Bubblegum basics. I have had such a lot of fun experimenting with these half hexie blocks, I think I am going to spend some time in the future playing with these...I'm sure there are many more variations that could be used.

Thank you to everyone who stops by my blog and to all who leave wonderful comments and encouragements and hints...I am so appreciative of you and your friendship. Our family is off to Anglesea for the next 4 days, so I won't be able to reply to any comments for a little while. We are going with some friends and are all very excited about getting away and spending some time in another beautiful part of Victoria. There will be lots of surfing by the boys (they are truly mad!!), and lots of walking, drinking coffee, chatting, chocolate and cheese nibbling, and stitching by the girls!!! Ahh, holidays!! See you next week xo

17 comments:

Kelly said...

Love the socks, and I love how you have done the backing for that quilt it looks fantastic. Enjoy your holiday!

Lizzie said...

Have a great holiday Cathy, bet those socks get a work out on a beach holiday in June, big hugs, lizzie

Maree said...

Your Socks looks Great...Love the Colours..Clever You...Enjoy Your Break ...sounds Fab.!!
cheers

Kathleen said...

that back is looking great...i love the half hexagons too and am playing around with some other things while i wait for more dark liberty fabric to arrive...

glad you are going away...should cheer you up a bit

am very glad to have met you online, you seem like my kinda gal!

Janet said...

I love those socks! You do such wonderful backs on your quilts, Once I did a strip of fabrics up the back and was asked if I ran out of fabric, lol. Have a great holiday.

karenfae said...

I tend to forget about the opposite seasons until I see a photo like that - fireplace is cheery, and knitted socks on feet -- and here it is in the high 90's all week!! LOL
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Nedra said...

Someday I want to learn how to make socks just like those, and have a wonderful vacation.

Christine said...

your socks look great, I knitted some for the first time this year and love it, the backing looks fantastic and I am glad you had a great time with your parents..
Enjoy your few days away.

cheers
Christine

wishes, true and kind said...

Have a wonderful time!

Janet said...

Love the socks. Love the backing. I like the back to be as much a part of the quilt as the front. Hope you had a relaxing and fun trip and come back refreshed.

Carol R. said...

Have a lovely holiday!

Donnelly said...

I love the back to your quilt! I am doing a traditional hexagon quilt; I have loved seeing your half-hexagon! If I do another one, I will definately have to try it out.
Have a great day.

Danielle said...

ooh I like the socks and the quilt back - great fabric!

Serena said...

Love your quilt back!

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

Have a very lovely time. I really like the colors in your quilt. The back is very sweet.

Dee said...

Love your socks and your photo. In fact I'm wearing the pair you made for me right now. They are so warm.

Jenny said...

very cool finish on the back