Friday, June 19, 2009

Not much action...

...been going on around here as far as quilting and half hexies and applique goes. Been pretty quiet on the achievement front. Nothing much to show, no quilts quilted, no binding bound, no applique stitched, no fabric arriving in the mailbox (I'm waiting for the backing for my half hexi quilt to turn up so I can get moving on that one, but no, not this week!).

So I will pull an oldie out to show you. This quilt was my first serious needleturn applique quilt. Prior to that I had only done blanket stitched applique.

I finished this quilt in July 2003....see, aren't labels handy?!!! (I'm usually very bad about putting labels on my finished quilts, but really, a label is like an artist signature and so time should be taken to attach this important little sign with info about the quilt, it's maker and at least the year it was made...I will try harder I promise!!). It was such a lovely quilt to make and came t0gether quite quickly. I loved the simple colour scheme and find it looks quite striking up on my wall (in this pic it's on the roof of the dog kennel!!).

It was also my first attempt at handquilting. I don't tend to do much handquilting these days as I'm usually in too much of a rush to get a quilt finished, however I really do love the look and feel of a handquilted quilt.

I tried to do my quilting in a quilt frame, but in the end found that quilting without the frame was much easier and more natural.

I've since moved on to bigger applique quilts and will show where I'm up to with the Kim McLean one I'm working on in a future post.

Oh, and I have met a lovely quilty friend through flickr and she has just started up a blog, so head on over to Joan's blog Wishes True and Kind and make her feel welcome to blogland. She has a lovely Kaffe quilt that she is working on which will be spectacular when it's finished.

Have a wonderful weekend. (I know I will, my parents from Brisbane are coming down for a visit, I'm very excited!!!) xo

21 comments:

Jackie said...

It is always great to see firsts. You did a beautiful job on this one. I have to say, I am also not so great at labeling my quilts. The ones that I give away always have a label on them.

Janet said...

I love it! you did a great job with the beautiful quilting. I wish I was that even with my echoing. Thanks for the link to Joan, I'm going to look forward to her posts. I'm busting to see your Kaffe applique.

Christine said...

Enjoy your parents, hope you have a great time with them.

cheers
Christine

Kelly said...

That is such a lovely quilt! Enjoy your weekend!!

Joan Callaway said...

Wow, Cathy! You are so sweet to mention me in your lovely blog! I'm sure I'll be famous now and will be fielding autograph requests all day. Things are slow here, too. I'm trying to think how to squeeze some sewing in during the upcoming busy Father's Day weekend.

Love your applique wall hanging! I have a big applique project that I need to get back to. It has long panels that run the length of the quilt, so it will be a lot of work -- like your Kim McLean. But if I just get organized, I can have some handwork to do while I'm piecing other projects. So many projects, so little time. Sigh.

Nedra said...

I checked out Joan's blog. Love those Kaffes. On the shop hop I did the last few days I found Kaffe's at 50% off. Bought lots of backs for future quilts.
Have a wonderful weekend with your parents.

Kathleen said...

am pleased to hear you did t use a frame....the few quilters who have found out i do not use a frame seem horrified,...as if it is just not quilting to be frameless!

I love to see this kind of needleturn quilt...thanks for showing us.

I wonder if joan managed to get her photos uploaded the way she wanted? Will check when she posts next.

don't need to tell you to have a lovely time...though you might need to wrap your folks in a couple of quilts...not quite brisbane weather where you live

Karen said...

A beautiful applique quilt. Something you can be proud of. Your fabric choices really add to the quilt!

amy said...

What a lovely quilt! Looks like you did a fantastic job with the applique and the hand quilting! I'm off to say hello to Joan--I'm sure I'll be adding her to my regular list of blog reads!

Gwendie said...

Cathy, your first needle turn quilt is so lovely! I hand quilt without a hoop, too, and do much better that way than with. All that echo quilting really does take time. The finished quilt is a beauty!

RED PEPPER QUILTS said...

Cathy, your first needle turn quilt is lovely! I know what you mean about labeling quilts, I am soooo bad for not doing so. None of my quilts are labeled. Will have to do something about that! Thanks also for the link. Will check it out now!

Have a great weekend!

Rita

Stephanie said...

Beautiful. Needleturn applique is what I learned from a fantastic teacher. I'm so remiss in labeling my quilts. Thanks for the reminder.

Janet said...

Glad you feel the same when things are going slow or not at all, post one from the past. Love seeing this applique, beautiful! I too love the feel of handquilted pieces but they do take a long time. (I work with a large hoop. It's better than a frame.)

Lizzie said...

I have one very similar in size and colour, I love applique. I find that some quilts are easier to quilt in frames and some on your lap, Sams quilt is too hot to do on the lap but I have another that I love to do without a frame (oops, just told you about another UFO)
Big hugs, lizzie

Maree said...

Your Applique Quilt is Lovely...know what you mean about the Hand Quilting method ..I am the same...can't get use to a Hoop..shhh..
Enjoy your Visit with your Parents..hope the weather is Kind to You...
cheers

Carol R. said...

This is a lovely quilt. Enjoy your time with your parents.

LeKaQuilt said...

What a beautyful quilt! Love the fabrics :o)

karenfae said...

if that was a first I would love to see what you do now - I just found your blog and will mark it to give it more of a look.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

pamina said...

An another beauty !

Trish said...

Could you tell me who the designer of your applique quilt is and where the pattern might be available? Thanks...Trish Chesterfield, VA USA

Rena said...

I love your quilt. It´s absolutely
beautiful !

Hugs, Rena