Monday, June 8, 2009

On my Design Wall

I'm really enjoying the half hexagon quiltalong. I have now cut out all my half hexagons and laid them out on my temporary design wall (more of this in a minute!!). After much arranging and rearranging, I have decided I am very happy with the pattern I will use. (Sorry, my photo's are not great quality).

I love the circular design that hexagons lend themselves to. A bit like concentric circles moving outwards, plenty for the eye to see.

I'm putting little 1/4 hexies (half hexie chopped in half!) on the edges of the quilt to square it up.Then I numbered each row and placed them in neat little piles all ready to sew.

Back to my temporary design wall. I knew when I was planning this quilt that I would definately need to lay each of the half hexies out somewhere to come up with this pattern. Trouble was, I don't have a design wall. In the end I had to make do with pinning some flannel fabric onto a quilt I have hanging in my living room.

You can see the quilt poking out at the edge. Not a very effective design wall, the half hexies were falling off a lot! Later, while I was doing a bit of blog surfing and reading some of my regular blogs, I came across Karen's idea for a fabulous portable design wall that looks very easy to make. Karen gives wonderful step by step instructions for making this small design wall.

In a future post Karen will give us the instructions for a much larger one.

What a wonderful idea...I'm off to the hardware shop!! If you haven't visited Karen's blog before, check her out at Sew Many Ways, I especially love her idea's on Tooltime Tuesday!

Now if you want to see a beautiful half hexie layout, checkout Aneela's hexi's...and she has very good instructions there too if you are interested in making your own half hexie quilt.

Have a lovely week xo

17 comments:

Stephanie said...

Love your hexagon quilt. Terrific color combination. I love a huge sewing room with design boards on each wall. Well maybe that would lead to lots of UFOs!

RED PEPPER QUILTS said...

Love it! You are inspiring me to jump on the half hexie bandwagon! Can't wait to start pulling out some fabrics! Love the layout and colors of yours! Thanks!

Rita

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Love your hexagon's too. What a neat layout!. How big is yours as it is on the design wall? Did you cut colors as you went along or cut them all at once? I have a fabric in mind for mine and am not sure how to approach it. Any suggestions?

comfortstitching said...

You truly are a fabulous genius!!! I knew you would come up with something great but you truly have knocked me completely off my sofa this afternoon!!!
You're so superfast n speedy too!!!

Bunny said...

Love your hexagon quilt looks fabulous.

merumo said...

Now I am even more motivated to get started on mine :) Yours look absolutely gorgeous!!!

Karen said...

Love the hexagons and isn't Karen a clever one with her design wall.

Andi said...

Your design looks wonderful.
Love the concentric circles.
Beautiful fabrics too.
Andi :-)

Bronwyn said...

You are such an inspiration Cathy! I would have never thought to go around in circles - I desperately need a design wall too - I think I need to put hubbie to work to make one like Karen's. I think I am about to join in with the half hexes quilt along, as if I haven't got enough projects to do!!

Nedra said...

You always come up with the most fantastic fabrics to put together in a quilt. I wish I could go shopping with you sometime.
Love the hexagon quilt.

Sherri said...

I love your half-hexagon quilt!

jean said...

Cathy
Your quilt is looking stunning. love your colour combo
I'm tempted. there are just so many fab quilts around and i spend my time blog surfing that I don't have time in the end lol
look forward to the updates.

Janet said...

This is an easier piecing technique but real challenge to keep the order inn place. Looks like you have it under control. Great color combo. That frame idea is very doable. Thanks for sharing.

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

Oh I love it! Don't you enjoy a quilt on the design wall. How beautiful this will be.

Sew Many Ways... said...

Hi Cathy,
This is why I love your blog. Your quilts are beautiful and this hexagon is such an ispiration. I want to dig through my fabric and start one now. Can't wait to see yours all together. Thanks for the link to my blog too. You are a sweet heart!!
~Karen~

pamina said...

Wonderful hexagon quilt !

Jenny said...

super quilt Cathy...in so many ways...the colors, the arrangement...the hexies!