Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Background Quilt part 1

A few people have asked me to show the quilts I have used in the background of my photo's, the one's I have been laying my appliques on to make them look a little more zingy! So I thought it was time to bring those quilts into the foreground. I mainly use two quilts in my backgrounds, I will show one of them today, and the other one in a future post.

This quilt is called Pastel Floral Parade Quilt and is a Kaffe Fassett designed quilt which is published in his book Quilts in the Sun.

The minute I spied this quilt I just knew I had to have it....exactly as the master had made it!!!! I have always loved Amy Butlers Full Moon polka dots and Kaffe's shot cottons, so I knew resistance would be useless! And as for the pastel fabrics he has used in this quilt...just mouth watering! I bought the kit from Glorious Colour (one of my favourite Kaffe fabric shops in America), and made it up with absolutely no changes (except for the binding, I used lime shot cotton instead of the lime polka dot!!).

I kept the quilting fairly simple...some squared off spiral quilting in every 2nd square....


....and some free motion flowery things in every other square as well as the larger central square.

For the backing I used a Philip Jacobs fabric which I found at a very good price at a wonderful ebay shop I like to buy from (Fabric Square Shop), they sometimes sell Westminster yardage up to 47% discount!

I don't buy kits very often, but every now and again a quilt really speaks to me, and I am happy to buy the kit and make up the quilt without any thinking involved. The other quilt I use in my backgrounds is also a kit from Kaffe....show you that one soon. xo

19 comments:

RED PEPPER QUILTS said...

I absolutely adore this quilt, I too love Kaffe fabrics and designs. They do speak to me. The quilting designs are original and so inspiring. Thanks for sharing this gorgeous quilt!

Rita

Martina said...

This is really a wonderful quilt. Love all these colours.Sometime I really have to make one too.

susi said...

very beautyful,this quilt,i do love mr.fassetts fabrics, too,have a nice day,susi

Janet said...

I'm a sucker for dots as well as Kaffes and Phillip Jacobs. I like kits too if I want to own the quilt just as it was made. Your quilting on the quilt is very complimentary.

Jackie said...

This quilt definitely required the kit. It is just lovely and I don't know that I would have changed it. The fabrics just speak to me! Love it!

The Calico Cat said...

I bought the same kit & made the same "exact" quilt - mine even has the polka dot binding!

alobsiger said...

Gorgeous, Cathy! I do it too..sometimes I have to have THAT quilt just like it's shown. Such a bright beauty!

wishes, true and kind said...

Love this quilt! I've only purchased two quilt kits -- both Kaffe. I learn a lot just from studying the pictures in his books, but actually handling the fabrics and putting them together is a whole different learning experience.

Ann Champion said...

Your quilt is gorgeous! Buying the kit was the right way to go..you would have spent more buying yardage and trying to reproduce? This way you have just what you wanted. The quilting is just beautiful too!

Janet said...

Gorgeous quilt and colors. Can go wrong with Kaffe.

BUMBLE BEANS said...

Love that yellowish backing with the sunlight. warm and lovely!

Fiesta said...

Just beautiful!

Ruthdesigns said...

I think Pastel Floral parade was my favourite quilt from Quilts in the Sun.. I liked Lady of the Lake.. but drawing that diagram nearly killed me lol.

Maree said...

What a Gorgeous Quilt...love the Quilting ...thanks for the ebay shop...always on the hunt there too...
cheers

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Great quilt and love to hear the story - all interesting.

jaybird said...

love the mix of dots and florals!!

imquilternity said...

Simply stunning! I love it!

amandajean said...

this one is delightful as well! the backing is a wonderful choice.

Jenny said...

yes yes yes!!! I was just admiring this book from the library and was loving this one too. you did a marvelous job!