Thursday, July 2, 2009

Bubblegum Hexagon quilt finished!

Here it is....all finished! I have really enjoyed making this half hexagon quilt and being a part of Comfortstitching's quilt along. I certainly have plans to make more half hexagon quilts.

49 x 53 inches

I had a lot of fun quilting this quilt, partly because it's small and easy to manoeuver around the sewing machine. I decided to follow the circular pattern of the quilt and used four different free motion quilting patterns.

I used a zig zaggy type pattern.

A flower pattern.

Some stippling and some loop-the-loopy pattern.

The wonderful thing about free motion quilting is that you can make it up as you go along. Just pretend your needle is a pencil and you are filling in the spaces with your thread. I love it, no marking up patterns before you start, just pick your thread colour and off you go!! While the patterns may not turn out perfect (or anywhere near perfect), they are still fun and do the job near enough. They also look great on the back of the quilt!

The raspberry Kaufman fabric makes a great binding I think.

If you want to check out some of the wonderful half hexi quilts that other people are making, go here. It is so much fun to see what fabulous creations people are coming up with.Doesn't that dark aqua Sis Boom Nuala toile fabric stand out, I think that's my favourite.

27 comments:

Jeannette said...

You quilt is so amazing, I do love the machine quilting it really finishes it

Janet said...

I love it, love it love it. The custom quilting is incredible. Pat yourself on the back.

Janet said...

Just awesome, you must be thrilled with this quilt. I love the backing and the quilting is fabulous, especially the flowers.

Zarina said...

I love the quilting where you've inserted flowers all over. I plan to do the same thing for my Wild Blossom quilt.

Lulabell said...

Wonderful free motion! What a amazing quilt. Very glad I found your blog!

Lizzie said...

Just fabulous, awesome colours Cathy, you've done an amazing job.
Big hugs, lizzie

Isa said...

GORGEOUS!
Both in color, pattern and quilting!

Kelly said...

It looks Stunning!, I love the little flowers you quilted, actually I love all the quilting you did on this, It really looks fantastic!

Andi said...

Gorgeous quilt.
The machine quilting is simply divine. Especially that flower pattern. Too sweet.
Andi :-)

Martina said...

I really love it. Well done!

comfortstitching said...

Everything about your quilt makes me giddy, just when I thought it couldn't get any better.....you go and add all that ammmazzzing quilting!!!!!!

Maree said...

Your Quilt is Fabulous...Love All the Quilting you did...the Back looks Awesome...Well Done.!!
cheers

pamina said...

I love, love this quilt, and your machine quilting is wonderful, I would like to know to do it !

jaybird said...

i love it!! i started cutting the pieces for my 1/2 hex quilt but that is as far as i've gotten... but yours is such eye candy!!

Bunny said...

You did an amazing job on this quilt and the quilting looks fabulous.

amy said...

LOVE your half-hex quilt, Cathy! The colors are so pretty, the quilting is gorgeous! I do think that Sis Boom toile is my favorite too. I adore the back too!

Brenda said...

Just lovely

BUMBLE BEANS said...

What fun! love that radiating feeling!

Gwendie said...

Really nice job! I think the flowers are my favorite of the quilting designs. I love flowers! This is a great way to make a hexi quilt.

Stina said...

Its gorgeous..love the quilting you made.. so so lovely!!!

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

It turned out so beautifully. I love the colors and this is such a smart way to make a quilt.

Donnelly said...

This is gorgeous!!! I love your fabrics and color choices.
Have a great day.

Jackie said...

Fabulous finish!! The quilting is just fantastic! This quilt is definitely a keeper... great job.

Sharon said...

Terrific job, love the different styles of quilting, and your color choices are so fresh!

wishes, true and kind said...

Well, I already left you some comments on FB, but your quilting is perfection! As scrumptious as the quilt!

Hi! My name is erica. Would you be my friend? said...

That is absolutely gorgeous!

Sandra said...

Wow! Very pretty! The quilting really adds a nice touch.