Sunday, July 26, 2009

A Pretty Birdie

A short while ago I spied this gorgeous fabric on Kathy's blog Material Obsession. It was love at first sight, I just knew I had to have it!

'Deaville' Alexander Henry 2008
home decor weight fabric


You know I just adore Kaffe Fassett fabrics, and other contemporary fabrics along the lines of Denise Schmidt, Amy Butler, etc, so this love affair was a suprise to me. While Alexander Henry does do modern, I feel that this design is more old fashioned, reminding me of an old English wallpaper or heavy curtains. I spent a few days with it hanging over the back of my kitchen chair trying to decide what quilt I would make with these beautiful, rather unusual birds. To complement the birds I pulled out some Kaffe's, Amy Butler's, Denise Schmidt's and Jennifer Paganelli fabrics.

I love trying to match up fabrics with the coloured dots in my main fabric, makes for a fun afternoon, but leaves the sewing room in a huge mess!!

I work in a library in my day job, so you can imagine I always have a lot of books lying around. Funnily enough I just happened to be reading an Earlene Fowler book called Goose in the Pond. The book had a picture of the quilt block called Goose in the Pond on the front cover.I was quite taken with this block so I decided to keep with the bird theme and use the goose block to set off my bird fabric. I'm thinking blocks of geese next to strips of birds!! Hard to imagine I know, but I will have a play with the fabrics and see what happens!

22 comments:

Lorraine said...

Sounds fantastic to me .
I love birds & love flying geese !!
They'll be great together .

Janet said...

I love hearing about the design and ideas process. I love that part where you pull out the fabrics and end up with something pleasing, then you get to add and discard along the way. How exciting, a new plan for a quilt that's in your minds eye.

Cardygirl said...

Great idea...I have some of that fabric too & am still playing with ideas. I love those books...fun for quilters. Have fun with your project!

LeKaQuilt said...

Fantastic fabrick's! They look so great together :o)

Maree said...

Gorgeous Fabric...looking forward to seeing what comes of it...
cheers

Stephanie said...

Not your typical Alexander Henry for sure. Gorgeous. I've read all of Earlene Fowler's Benni Harper series. You work in a library? Heaven.

Rafael's Mum said...

Such a coincidence, just found someone else who is a booseller, you work in a library and I love to read (I keep those booksellers as much in the profit as the fabric shops :-)

The colour palette goes really well, you are clever! Am looking forward to seeing what pattern you are making with it.

alobsiger said...

Oh, I LOVE your pretty stack of fabrics, Cathy! What fun you are going to have!! Can't wait to see what transpires. I've been toying with a strippy quilt with vertical zig zags and a Kaffe feature fabric. It's fun to plan and select.

Jackie said...

That fabric is really gorgeous. I like the idea that you have with keeping the theme of birds. This will be one beautiful quilt!

www.deezebra@blogger.com said...

Go girl! You have very clever eyes for colour and design. Looking forward to seeing it come together.

Janet said...

This sounds like fun. I too like more graphic, modern designs but the bird design is gorgeous and deserves to be featured. The book cover is a great inspirational source. Keep us posted.

cathleen said...

This sweet post of yours is making my heart beat faster.....because those pictures of your fabrics are just delicious looking. I would love to get my hands on them. I do have a couple of those dotty fabrics in my fabric cupboard. Can't wait to see what you do!

Faith said...

I know youre a very very busy lady but please come and visit my blog and come and collect your award which I have given you, as I always enjoy coming to your blog so full of colour and lessons

Nedra said...

I picked up a few more Kaffe's at the International Quilt Festival in Long Beach. One booth had mostly Kaffes and I went in and just absorbed the beauty.
Fabulous fabric finds on your end.

BUMBLE BEANS said...

oh! let's see what you do with that!
;-) Fun stuff!
I wish I had a bolt of every kaffee Phillip jacobs print... I'm sort of obsessed lately with the intense colors and up dated "old" chintz patterns.

comfortstitching said...

That fabric is gorgeous i can see why you love it so! I always come unstuck with how to use such bold pieces but you seem to fly with those ideas!! Can't wait to see this Cathy!

hotjamdonut said...

i feel in love with that fabric too. i'm going to use it in the 'calling it curtains quilt' from material obsessions 2nd wonderful book. look forward to seeing your quilt. 1 piece of material can go so many ways.

Mystica said...

What beautiful fabric! I am quite envious as we dont have anything like this here where the range is limited to simple prints and plain colors!

mamaspark said...

Wowsa, who wouldn't love that bird fabric. Can't wait to see what you do with it. I like the bird theme.

mamaspark said...

Have you seen Tula Pink's new sketches? Very similar to what you are showing of your fabric. Go here
http://tulapink.com/?p=191
and check it out.

edward and lilly said...

This sounds so fabulous, I look forward to seeing the end result! That fabric is lovely, I was surprised it's Alexander Henry.

Flickettysplits said...

I love that Alexander Henry fabric ... in fact I love it so much that I think I'm off to buy some right now!