Sunday, August 30, 2009

Blue and White Hexagons

You have seen my blue and white hexagons before, but I have never shown the inspiration behind my quilt on this blog.

Kaffe Fasset's book 'Museum Quilts' (inspired by the Victoria & Albert Museum) came out about 3 or 4 years ago. I fell in love with all of the quilts in this book. But when I saw his 'Wedding Snowball' quilt, I knew I had to make one like it.

Kaffe Fassett's 'Wedding Snowball' quilt as seen in his book 'Museum Quilts'

The problem was, I have never got around to making it. Recently, as I was trying to find an idea for a new hexagon quilt, my thoughts turned back to Kaffe's beautiful quilt. I love the idea of having a showpiece for the centre of the quilt, bordered by blue and white check, then using so many different blue and white fabrics with the little accents of colour, bordered again by the check.

image from Kaffe Fassett's book Museum Quilts

For
the centre of my quilt I chose Kaffe's Blue Flower Basket fabric, and bordered it with his blue and white ikat check.

His navy shot cotton makes a great path around the flowers and I chose 7 different Kaffe fabrics as accent colours for the centre's of my flowers.

my choice of accent colours sitting the cover of Kaffe's book!!

This quilt still has a fair way to go before it's completion. Another row will be added to each side, and at least one more row to the bottom of the quilt. Once I have enough flowers joined on, I will then add a narrow navy border to square it up (or rectangle it up in this case!!), followed by a larger border in the ikat check.

I am fairly happy with how it is turning out, although it hasn't put much of a dent in my blue and white stash so I may go on to making Kaffe's wedding snowball quilt too!! These english paper pieced quilts do take a long time to finish, but it is wonderful to have something portable to take with you, and I think they are worth the effort in the end. xo

22 comments:

Cardygirl said...

Looks great...I love snowballs! I have that book & love it too.

Lizzie said...

What can I say!! I'd be 'fairly happy' too if it was mine. You can certainly use colour to it's best advantage, clever girl.
Lizzie
XXX

One Flew Over said...

Wow Cathy! I don't know if I would ever be brave enough to try something like this! Can't wait to watch your progress x

quiltycat said...

Great job! I like your choose of fabrics...I have this book and I love it too.
nichi

wishes, true and kind said...

I love this quilt and it was interesting to hear about how it has evolved. It always reminded me a little of the quilt from Kaffe's museum book, so it was interesting to hear that it was an inspiration. Quilts do take us on journeys, don't they?

Christine said...

It is a great book and I love your quilt

cheers
Christine

Nedra said...

You know how I love those Kaffes! I did his snowball quilt in the colors of the desert to match my house. Love it!

Lorraine said...

I love the navy shot cotton pathways ... it really sets all those beautiful blues .

Kelly said...

I love hearing about the inspiration behind quilts! And I love your quilt!!

pamina said...

Your qult will be wonderful, I LOVE this Kaffe Fassett book too !

LeKaQuilt said...

Your chose of fabricks and colour are so beutiful - I love it !

Jackie said...

I love the quilt and where you got your inspiration from. Kaffe definitely has a unique style and many wonderful ways to interpret his quilts into your own. You did a fantastic job! Of course, I just love those hexies.

ranette said...

Gorgeous quilt Cathy! Kaffe books always provide inspiration...I think I'm going to make this Winter my Kaffe Fassett time and make several of his quilts. Yummy!

alobsiger said...

I sooooooo enjoyed your post about your beautiful quilt, Cathy! It is really coming along and is wonderful! Your creativity and effort are much appreciated on this side of the computer screen! I know this will sound strange, but adore the blues on top of those greens, pinks, oranges and reds in your top picture... :-) Beautiful work, Cathy!

Janet said...

I love seeing how you have used the quilt as your kick off point to do your own inspirational version. Love the colours and the whole idea.

Joanna said...

I love love LOVE your quilt! I love Kaffe too of course, and it's hard to go wrong when using his fabrics:)

Deb said...

Beautiful interpretation of this quilt. I'm looking forward to see how it progresses.

Cheers

Deb

One Little Thread said...

Your quilt looks gorgeous. Love those Kaffe books too
Alison

Kathleen said...

absolutely fabulous cathy...i have long loved that one of kaffe's.

Again i bow to the kaffe master!

Hi! My name is erica. Would you be my friend? said...

Very nice! I agree on the time consuming nature of the english pp. And I'm such a slow gal...it takes me forever and a day!

Love your quilt! :)

Inside Out said...

Hi - I NEED Kaffe's Ikat Check Blue and would beg borrow or steal it, if I could find it. Happen to have a yard I could buy?

Anonymous said...

Maybe too late for this but I purchased the indigo ikat checkerboard (after seeing Kaffe's quilt) from Kaleidoskop in Germany. You can buy online, they speak excellent English and service is great.

http://www.patchwork-kaleidoskop.de/Stoffe-Rowan-Designer/Kaffe-Fassett-Streifen/