Sunday, August 9, 2009

Quilt free weekend!

No stitching or quilts or quilt related pics to show you here this week I am sorry! Instead I will show you a little of what my sister Rochelle and I got up to when she flew down from Brisbane on Friday to stay with me for the weekend. For those who don't live in Australia, Brisbane is about two long days drive away from Melbourne so we don't get to catch up very often.

I met her in Melbourne where we drank lots of coffee (& these to die for hot chocolates above), shopped lots, talked heaps, walked many kilometres, ate beautiful food and eventually fell in a heap in our hotel that night! Look what she bought me from Brisbane...a beautiful handmade glass bead in the cutest little box, how special.

Melbourne city at night is just gorgeous!

Today we went to church in the morning, then spent time up at Red Hill (a beautiful place on the Mornington Peninsula full of arts and crafts, wineries and cafes). We visited an amazing glass blowing gallery (Gordon Studio Glassblowers), where they had the most amazing glass sculptures in the gardens outside.

As quilters I think it becomes easy to see the talent, hard work and design that goes into the making of other mediums like glassware.

My sister and I thoroughly enjoyed wandering through the colours that bounced off these incredible creations.

Rochelle does only a little quilting, but she is a graphic artist and makes the most amazing lead lighting and mosaic works herself, so she loved it!

Thanks Sis for a fabulous time of catch up, reminiscing and discovering some amazing places.

I miss you already! xo

22 comments:

Christine said...

Sisters are special, I have three and they all live overseas, so time spend with them is special.

cheers
Christine

comfortstitching.typepad.co.uk said...

Aww!! Nice to see you having you having fun with your sis, definately worth taking a break from the stitching for! Love the pic of Melbourne at night!!

Andi said...

What a fab excuse for a great girly weekend.
Glad you had fun.
Andi :-)

Nedra said...

How wonderful that you are so close to your sister. I'm sure she feels just as fortunate.

Maree said...

What a Lovely time you had...must be great to share things with a Sister..
cheers

Stephanie said...

What a lovely weekend. The glass blowing is fantastic. Crafters can certainly appreciate the time and talent put into crafts. What a beautiful night skyline.

ranette said...

Reading your post made me miss my sister...isn't it nice to have that special bond with someone.
The glass works were spectacular!

alobsiger said...

Oh my, it sounds like you had a fabulous weekend, Cathy! That glass work is gorgeous. And that hot chocolate?? Yum yum yum yum and yum.

clare's craftroom said...

What a lovely post , thanks . That glass is amazing !

Lurline said...

Looks like you have had such fun, you Gorgeous Girls - a perfect pic of both of you and great to see the beautiful sights of Melbourne - wish I had been there longer!
Hugs - Lurline♥

Bunny said...

Beautiful gifts, beautiful glass and I am sure you had a wonderful time.

Mama Spark said...

Looks like you two had a wonderful time!

RED PEPPER QUILTS said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend! How wonderful to share such a great time with your sister. I am glad you had such great weather too!

YankeeQuilter said...

Sculptures in the garden are just great...no need to water and color all year long!

I have 4 sisters and love when I get to spend time with them too.

One Flew Over said...

What a lovely way to spend the weekend!

Lizzie said...

Glad you had a great weekend with your sister and thanks for sharing those amazing glass sculptures, fabulous.
Lizzie

Julia said...

What a Lovely time you had...must be great to share things with a Sister..great photo of you both..
Julia ♥

Hi! My name is erica. Would you be my friend? said...

Sounds like a most wonderful weekend! That hot chocolate looks so yummy!

Melbourne is indeed beautiful...wonder if I'll ever see it in person.

Christina said...

I love having the Australian blogs to read to find out more about the country. We are so isolated here in the US and this is such a great way to see more of the world. I hope to make it down that way some day - but I think i'll need a month to explore the whole continent!

Dee said...

Love your photos Çathy. I often thought of stopping in at the glassblowers, but never have. Look what I've missed out on - it looks amazing! Was great to see Rochelle on the weekend. Thanks for making time to drop around for a cuppa, I really enjoyed seeing you both together! Sisterly love : )

Robyn said...

Cathy what a wonderful weekend spent with someone you love and beautiful creations and a lovely city.
I love the photo of you both.. beautiful!!
hugs
Robyn xx

Michell said...

Every thing is really cute...
I really like this blog...
Thanks for sharing...
--
Michell
Home Security Systems no CREDIT CHECK everyone is approved