Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Inspirational!!

Kaffe Fassett and Friends from Rowan have produced another winner...and I just love it!! I received my copy of the new book Quilt Romance from Kathy the other day, and I can't decide which quilt I will make first.


Luckily I have the wonderfully kind permission from Brandon Mably (Kaffe's Office Manager and Designer in his own right) and Kim McLean to show you some of the quilts in this fabulous book. The twenty amazing designs have been so breathtakingly photographed (by Debbie Patterson) around the little village of Portmeirion in North Wales. I never grow tired of looking through all my Kaffe books (you know I have them all!), the backgrounds for the quilts are chosen carefully to make the colours in each quilt dance.


Kaffe's Pickle Dish looks so happy hanging on the little turquoise gate.


I just adore Brandon Mably's Two Up Two down quilt, the clouds fabric he uses to tie the quilt together gives it a wonderful, cheery feel. I know I will make this one.


Kim McLeans Hearts and Flowers Quilt is another masterpiece from this Aussie designer. Kim is the designer featured in this book, it's lovely to read about her quilting life. Another must make for me!


Kaffe's Icecream Quilt is so yummy I could eat it!! I will definately be making a version of this quilt. Doesn't it look wonderful hanging off the whitewashed wall with the deep yellow and blue colours in the background?

Liza Prior Lucy, Mary Mashuta, Roberta Horton, Pauline Smith, Sally Davis and Pam Goeke Dinndorf have all contributed to this book with their fabulous quilt designs.


Pauline Smith's Tulips Quilt

I don't buy many quilt books, (Material Obsession 1 & 2 are in my bookshelf of course), but I do buy all Kaffe's books, they are such an inspiration and I can't help but be influenced by the marvellous use of colour, shape and design throughout. Well done Kaffe and Team, another fabulous book!

22 comments:

wishes, true and kind said...

I have it on my wish list on Amazon to purchase when I get paid at the end of the month. I went a little over my budget for fabric, quilting books and supplies this month! A colleague at work has caught the quilting bug from me, but her taste in fabrics and colors has been a little bland to me, but I loaned her several of Kaffe's books, and she is hooked! She has been checking them out of the library and yesterday even had one of his knitting books checked out. I don't knit, so I never looked through one before, but was amazed at how many designs I recognized and could name from his books. Gridlock, Two up two down, pennants, Roman Blocks, Circus Tents, and on and on. It's interesting to see the knitted versions. Love the cover quilt on Quilt Romance and can't wait to read the profile on Kim McLean!

Janet said...

I know! where do you start, it's like pick a quilt, any quilt. They're all so wonderful. I will have to do the pickle dish for certain.

RED PEPPER QUILTS said...

Great book review Cathy! I can't wait to receive my copy in the mail! I too have each and every one of Kaffe's books and never get sick of looking at them.

Rita

One Flew Over said...

I just love that 'Pickle Dish' quilt...maybe I should give it a go!

Deb said...

Thanks for the preview Cathy - I have one coming to me as we speak. I am also a big Kaffe fan - and I love what Kim Mc does with the fabric. ßhe's just too clever!

Lizzie said...

I love the Tulip Quilt, amazing colours, just you Cathy.
Lizzie
XXX

sewpam63 said...

OoooHhhh my goodness!!! Thanks for the inside peeky!!! Just GORGEOUS! I NEED this book!!!

Are all well/healthy in your home now? I hope so...sew! ; )

Bronwyn said...

Hehe - I am getting my library to buy this and Country Gardens for me - of course, I told them that our quilting section needed serious updating and that it wasn't just for me (course it was!!)
What a fabulous collection to have though - most jealous!! Look forward to seeing what you do.

Cardygirl said...

Inspirational! it is hard to know where to start...just look & dream till inspiration hits!

Martine said...

de passage à paris chez mon fils moi aussi je viens de l'acheter en version française évidement c'est plus pratique ,je suis une fan de kaffe fassett ,lecture dans le train en rentrant tout à l'heure plaisir assuré .

alobsiger said...

You've shown some of my favorites too, Cathy! Lately I've been regularly pondering that ice cream quilt...hmm...

Stephanie said...

I agree...I love looking through my Kaffe books because the photographs are so gorgeous. I can't wait to get my hands on this newest book. Thanks for sharing.

Jackie said...

I am just like you, I love Kaffe and have all his books. I can't wait to get his newest. My hopes is that he will be at market again. When he is there he signs his books. I have 2 of his books autographed! Wish me luck!

Quilts on Bastings said...

Great book review - his quilts are just so inspirational .. Might have to add this one to the collection.

Hi! My name is erica. Would you be my friend? said...

I have that one on hold at the library! I LOVE that ice cream quilt! LOVE!!! Now my stomach's all butterflies!

Thanks for sharing! :)

West Michigan Quilter said...

Great book review. Beautiful quilts. Thanks so much for sharing.

quiltycat said...

Wonderful book! I'm waiting for receive it...I'm trilled!
nichi

Robyn said...

Wow Cathy, like you I don;t buy many books but gee, this is gorgeous and I simply adore the Pickle quilt!! yum!!
Thanks for sharing this.

Marit said...

Thank you for the review and wonderful pictures! I will buy it when it is available over here... Yesterday I received Cottage Quilts by KF, and have started planning making one of the quilts. I agree with you, so much inspiration, so much color, those books are well worth it! Thank you for your nice comment on my blog! I am feeling a connection here, KF fans across the globe...

Janet said...

This is another MUST HAVE book. I'll put it on my Christmas wish list.

YankeeQuilter said...

Beautiful...adding to the wish list on Amazon!

a blogger said...

Wow, I just discovered Kim McLean's work through a shop I visited yesterday. They had the Hearts and Flowers applique quilt all made up on the wall using the same fabrics from the photo in the book. It is so beautiful. Lots of bright intense colors for the applique resting on a very soft buttery yellow background, I just loved it. They still have a few kits left in case anyone from the US is looking for help finding the fabric. Its at www.sewingparty.com

Cheers!

Kathy in California