Saturday, September 12, 2009

Ugly Tulips

Early on in my quilting life I used to adore (and deep down I still do) the more antique looking fabrics. I loved the pretty prints with small florals and dots and checks. This is a quilt I made from those fabrics.

The backgrounds were machine sewed together, and then I needleturn appliqued the ugly tulips once the top was finished. (I called them ugly tulips because I designed them and thought they were ugly in a happy sort of way!).
Each block was then stippled and the tulips were outlined. The thick sashing has some loopy-loops and each sashing square has a quilted flower.

I had a lot of the border fabric and the thin white sashing fabric leftover so I used those up in the quilt backing.

It's yet another windy day here in Melbourne...I'm so over this wind we've had weeks and weeks of it...it's not much fun trying to take outside pics of your quilt in the wind, at least I managed to get a few good shots, unlike some pics...!

My husband and I have slept under this quilt for about 5 years now and it's so soft and cuddly and wonderful to wrap yourself in. Even though I tend to go for the brighter, perhaps more dramatic fabrics these days, this one is still a favourite.

A pic of some pretty tulips!

And pretty daffodils in my kitchen window.

18 comments:

Francien said...

I just love your "ugly"tulips Cathy..what a wunderful quilt...the flowers...the colors....the vermecelli quilting..awesome...the other quilt looks good too!!! and your pictures of the flowers...thanks for sharing...
greetings from Holland...Francien.

Janet said...

It's great seeing the older quilts, you were doing great machine quilting back then too. Thanks for sharing the tulips, spring is great we are expecting 31tomorrow, that's more like summer.

Cardygirl said...

Oh, I remember those fabrics...it is nice to see our quilting journey chronicled by the fabrics we used! How lovely are your ugly tulips....and also lovely in that they are still a useful favourite in your home. Thanks for sharing!

Karen said...

I like ur tulip quilt....I don't think its ugly at all!

alobsiger said...

Those are some beautiful ugly tulips (if you will...). The various pieced backgrounds are so pretty too! Yes, thanks for sharing! I appreciate seeing your real-life spring flowers as well since our summer ones are looking quite worn out now.

Nedra said...

Well loved quilts are the best.

Jackie said...

I really like the quilt! You did a fantastic job on it and plus you are using it too. You just can't ask for more.

cathleen said...

Cathy, I find your 'ugly' tulips quilt to be quite beautiful. It's homey and so cozy looking. Looks like a totally comfy quilt to lie under when unwell and drink tea and nap. The fabrics and tulips are lovely.

wishes, true and kind said...

Excuse me -- this was EARLY in your quilting life?!?!?! I'm thinking that a lot of quilters NEVER get to the skill level of designing something or the creative level of piecing backgrounds for appliqué in so many charming ways. And don't get me started on the machine quilting! Were you born quilting??? I think this quilt is very charming, including the tulips. You continue to impress me.

YankeeQuilter said...

I love the varied pieced backgrounds on this quilt!

Hi! My name is erica. Would you be my friend? said...

I think your tulips are very cute!

BUMBLE BEANS said...

ugly tulips turned beautiful! You really did it up nice on the borders, it really livens them up!
no uglies here. a blossom of beauty

Kelly said...

Thats a lovely quilt Cathy, I love your "ugly" tulips, and the real ones too!, I think the weather killed my daff's this year, only had 2 flowers :(, Your's look gorgeous, perfect vase too!

RED PEPPER QUILTS said...

I have a soft spot for tulips, and think yours are rather lovely, both the quilted ones and the real tulips. Thanks for sharing!

Rita

Jessica said...

i like it, and even more so because you've been using it all these years.

Bizarre Quilter said...

It's okay to like both vintage and modern and whimsical fabrics... you should see my variety of quilts!! LOL!!!
Now just repeat that mantra... VBG.

Miriam said...

Its amazing how our quilting tastes evolve.
The very best quilts are the ones that have been used the most.

LAPPETUSSA said...

This is a very nice blogg. I like it very mutch..
From Norway:D