Tuesday, October 6, 2009

What a difference a cupboard makes!!!

Thank you to everyone for your lovely comments and all the amazingly yummy icecream favourites out there. Ranging from the simple Vanilla Bean (home made of course!), to the weird Turtle (that IS weird Amy!!), to the 'I have to try it' like Butter Pecan or Coconut! Hhmm I think I need to get a bowl of honeycomb & chocolate with crunchy icecream that hubby bought home tonight!


Thank you too for your encouragement to get stuck into my messy sewing room and clean it up. I was so inspired by you guys that yesterday (after waving goodbye to the boys as they went to school, sigh, school hols go too fast!), I sat and pondered on the state of my room. Now I realise how blessed I am to even have a sewing room. Granted it is a very small room, but it is a room where I can leave my sewing machine all ready to go, all the time!

I have a wardrobe in there where I store most of my fabrics in drawers. My frustration with this set up however was that whenever I pulled the many fabrics out for my quilts, it was rather hard to put them all back in neatly, and usually I just needed them out for the next quilt anyway! It was also rather hard to remember what I had in those drawers. I had a hunt in our garage and found an old cupboard with shelves....just the answer I thought! I cleaned it up, took the doors off the hinges and hammered a couple of nails into it and voila...the perfect stash holding, easy to see what I've got, cupboard!!!


On one side I have a pinboard where I can keep cards and ideas, and a hook where I can hang my current blocks I'm working on.


On the other side I have nails to hang my cutting board and 2 rulers. Also a couple of nails to hang up my tape measures.


I will paint the cupboard one day, perhaps a nice pistachio green or antique white, but for now, it tidies up my room so beautifully. I am calling it my paintbox, as all my colours are lined up nicely where I can see them.


This is the wardrobe where this fabric used to be. See how uninspiring it is looking at that and trying to imagine my fabric in there? (That's why most of the time it was out of there and all over the floor!).


I now keep my wadding, my backing fabrics, my knitting wool, buttons, scraps of fabrics, etc in here.


Next to the wardrobe is my sewing machine and books. I love my Janome, this one is a work horse and I do all my piecing and quilting on this. I have even stipple quilted a king size quilt on this baby!


As I said I don't buy many books, but I do have all the Kaffe Fassett ones (of course), Material Obsession and a few others. I guess that is a few books in there!!!




Now I am raring to go and get creating again. Hopefully I will get some time on Thursday to get back in there.  I will leave you with a pic of one of my favourite fabrics...flea market fancy!! Have a wonderful week and thanks for checking out my tidy sewing room with me xo


30 comments:

Wendy B said...

I can surely relate to this Cathy....I spent three days tidying my room but I really want to be in it all the time now!!! Check out my makeover at http://sugarlanequilts.blogspot.com/2009/09/mia.html
I relate it to feeling like a cool, refreshing shower after a hot sticky day!!!
Enjoy your 'new' creative space!!
'o) Wendy B

alobsiger said...

Beautiful re-organization, Cathy! I can see that your stash is looking very proud of its new surroundings -- all tidy and ready for action! Good for you! Oh, hey, it's Tuesday. Turtle Something ice cream is available today! :-)

Janet said...

Thanks for the tour of your creative space cathy. You could have called on me and I would have helped you, I'd have loved handling your fabrics, folding them lovingly for you. I think I would have done it for a bowl of icecream and the pleasure of handling the stash. I think I'm going to look for another skinny bookcase at the op shop, I may be able to squeeze one in. I like the idea of using the sides too.

Andi said...

What a lovely stash you have!!!

RED PEPPER QUILTS said...

What a great sewing room you have! And OMGosh great stash! Beautifully orgranized, you deserve that icecream!

Rita

Jackie said...

I so wish you lived closer. Your stash looks like mine so bright and colorful. Lots of Kaffe. You just can't beat that. I love how it looks. By the way, I love the quilt that is hanging by your machine.

Dee said...

Hooray for you! The new cabinet is awesome! How very clever to use the outside and the inside! We recently rescued a bookcase from hubby's old building...it's now a sewing shelf holding my books and magazines and fabric stash! Love all your fabrics and I'm glad for you to have a space you can call your own!
blessings!

Kathie said...

that was a lot of fun taking atour of your quilting room
ah yes a great place now for your fabric collection, looks so pretty
Kathie

Meredith said...

Thanks for showing us your sewing room. like you I have a small room. Your fabric is nice and organized. It fits all in one space. I have bought so much fabric I have had to store it in another room! I filled the closet in the room I am in. LOL. I also like how bright your fabric looks.

Jenny said...

Thanks for the mini tour, your cupboard is fantastic...many happy hours to you there with your fabrics, and may your piles of fabrics always be so nicely kept!! love your fmf.

Nedra said...

Thank you for a tour of your sewing room. I love seeing where people create. All the fabrics neatly folded are inspiration in and of itself!

BUMBLE BEANS said...

It's so much work to clean our studios, but int he end it's worth it! If only I could find my other embroidery blocks!! only downfall, i can't find a thing! Your space looks great!

Karen said...

...your stacks of fabric look so yummy!

cathleen said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous, Cathy! I love your cupboard full of fabrics. I just want to keep staring at it...so pretty!!! And your books...I could surely have some cozy armchair reading with those!

YankeeQuilter said...

How wonderful to have all that tidying up behind you! Looks great.

Petit Debutant said...

Way to tackle the mess!!

I did the same thing this past weekend and will be posting some pics on my blog. Feel free to visit because I came up with some cute ways to be able to "see" my materials.

Now doesn't it feel so inspiring to walk into a clean crafting space?! at least until it gets messy again!

Hi! My name is erica. Would you be my friend? said...

It does make a difference! How could you not be inspired/excited to sew seeing all those lovely fabrics? :) And the storage on the sides is wonderful!!

West Michigan Quilter said...

When you mentioned ice cream I had to stop by and read. Then I saw how organized your sewing room is. I love it. You have inspired me to get busy and get organized.

Quilts on Bastings said...

How organised you are! I love your stash.. Thanks for letting us have a look around your sewing room - I like you teapot collection and the circle quilt on the wall..

Kelly said...

I drooled over your ice cream, then over your fabric stash, then over your book pile, Then I went back to read! I love how you have organised your room Cathy. I have all my quilting fabric in drawers and now im wondering if that is why Im having trouble getting going, or if its just the never-ending sickness in our house, topped off with school holidays hmmmm, now im dreaming of ice cream and big shelves!!! Oh and is there any chance of a close up of your teapot collection? (i love teapots!!)

Christine said...

well done, looking fantastic, you have a very beautiful stash, lots of yummy fabrics.
I have to stop buying magazines, that it a real problem for me and they take so much room.

cheers
Christine

Kaaren said...

Thanks for the tour of your new and improved sewing room, Cathy. It looks wonderful and I'm sure it's an inspiration for you to get busy once again.

Robyn said...

Well I gotta say Cathy, WOW!!
When you go girl...You Go!!!! lol
Gosh it looks fantastic and what a great idea your paint cupboard is!
You have been inspired!.. and I think you'll find a few others inpired by your 'inspiration'.
Feels awesome doesn't it?!
I really need to do something like this as my are stored in a wardrobe too...but we have so much dust here, I need something but still working it out yet...after 15 1/2 years...ha ha... maybe it changes with our needs.
I agree, we are lucky girls to have our own sewing rooms!
hugs
Robyn xx

Deb said...

What a great stash (of fabric - and icecream by the looks of it) although I have to say it's a bit chilly for frozen goods here! Must be time for spring cleaning - I did mine too but guess what? A week later, a few visits from the postman and back to square one.

One Flew Over said...

I would adore a sewing room...just like yours!

Cardygirl said...

Your room looks great...a marvellous creative space! Your new cupboard looks good too...the fabric piled inside looks like brightly coloured gelato!

Corrie said...

oh the neatness! wow, and the flea market fancy! you're killing me

wish my room looked as neat and your fabric is so lovely and neatly folded unlike mine!

Corrie:)

imquilternity said...

How organized you are! Wow! I love your fabric stash...it's so lively and colorful!

Lizzie said...

Thanks for the glimpse of your creating room Cathy, satisfies my voyerism nicely! ;o)
Why would you paint the cupboard though? How could any paint compete with the fabulous riot of colours contained in and on there? Lovely.
Lizzie
XXX

ranette said...

Cathy...I am so impressed with the redo of your sewing room. Looks terrific and easy to get around in. I think I should get busy in my room and then I'll be a little more inspired to create...maybe...lol