Friday, January 1, 2010

Nicolette's Gift & Book Win

Happy first day of the New Year!!! Did you manage to stay up til midnight? We got to sleep around 1:30am so I'm dragging the chain a little today!

We have constantly had friends staying with us, or been visiting friends so from the start I apologise for not visiting all my blogland friends (you!) lately. I really miss chatting with everyone, and hope to get back to it soon. Anyway, I'm finally able to show you the beautiful table runner that Nicolette from Dutch Comfort made for me for our SSCS gift.

Isn't it gorgeous? I love the bright colours she has used (she discovered on my blog my love of bright fabrics), and the gorgeous snowflakes she has appliqued onto the table runner.

On the back Nicolette has used a gorgeous linen that really highlights her quilting of stars and snowflakes. It's finished off beautifully with a multicoloured binding, made up of the fabrics used in the quilt top. Great idea.

Thank you so much Nicolette, I appreciate the time and effort and love you have put into this gift for me.

In receiving a gift in Chookyblue's SSCS, you also have to make a gift for someone else. I made this lap quilt for Nancy from Patchwork Penguin blog. It is such a wonderful feeling to make something for someone else, someone you haven't even met!!

And talking of gifts, I received this beautiful book Liesels Funfecke from the gorgeous Sarah of The Last Piece. The book is written in German, but the pictures so beautiful and the patterns so clear you don't need the instructions to make the quilts. They are all paper-pieced which I adore.

It is written by Hilde Klatt and Liesel Niesner and I'm definately going to make the gorgeous quilt on the back cover called Mandala. Thank you so much Sarah for a fabulous book and more inspiration and ideas!

We have spent most of today entertaining different visitors, as one family left, another family arrived, been busy, but so much fun! We now have some of our sons friends around so I'm off in a minute to go and feed them all. How have you spent your first day of 2010? xo

28 comments:

Kim D. said...

Pretty Table runner and I love the colors in your quilt. You have a lovely blog.

Janet said...

The table runner is lovely and the quilt you made is just as wonderful with those colours and your great swirly quilting. I must have a go at that sometime.

One Flew Over said...

A stunning table runner, I was lucky enough to win one of Nicolette's runners...beautiful work.

Chookyblue...... said...

gorgeous gifts sent and recived and I had also seen a photo of the back of Nicolettes gift and it is beautiful......
I spent the day sewing and watching the rain fall yet again.........beautiful

Marls said...

Happy New Year Cathy.
Gorgeous table runner and lap quilt. I have spent the day at work, as i did last evening so not alot of sewing in this household.

nicolette said...

Happy New Year Cathy!

Love the pictures you’ve taken, they’re much better than mine!

Yourlap quilt for Nancy is gorgeous and that book in German is an easy read for me, so I’ll have to check that one!

Stephanie said...

Happy New Year! Just having my morning tea and then I hope to have some sewing time. Beautiful gifts given and received.

ranette said...

Happy New Year Cathy!!!

Great SSCS gifts sent and received!!!

Nedra said...

Fun gifts. The book from Sarah looks amazing. I think I'd find a German friend to interpret. I've had to do that with some Japanese books.

Jackie said...

Happy New Year to you too, Cathy! What a wonderful table runner you received. I just love it!! The quilt that you made is just gorgeous too. Hmmmm... so can you speak German. I guess you really don't have to, because we quilters can translate the pictures, right!

alobsiger said...

Happy New Year, Cathy! What a great table runner! And I love the lap quilt you sent along -- I want to reach out and touch your quilting. And now I have funfecke envy. I think I need to order that book because it looks like a lot of fun.

BUMBLE BEANS said...

Happy New Year! 1:30! wow you late nighter! I was in bed and asleep by 12:30, and gosh I have a headache this morning and I don't even drink! what a party girl huh? ;-) you gifties look wonderful. the lap quilt is so cozy!

kendall.micayla said...

happy new year!! i hope that this coming year is just lovely in every way for you! the table runner is simply gorgeous! i love the reds she used, what a beautiful piece to have. :) xo

Jenny said...

what a fun filled posts of gifts and wins. love the table runner, nice and colorful! your lap quilt looks so peaceful. good luck with that book, looks like fun!

wishes, true and kind said...

Happy New Year, Cathy! Great tablerunner and book (I'll bet you make an absoulutely fabulous Mandala quilt!), but I especially love the lap quilt you made. Beautiful! Looking forward to lots of inspiration from you in 2010!

Hi! My name is erica. Would you be my friend? said...

Oh wow, that runner is gorgeous! :) I'm excited to see your take on that mandala quilt! Exciting! :)

We're just hanging out today. There's a lovely gusty rain that makes for a nice cozy day inside! We're a little tired too...people were lighting off fireworks last night and my daughter was too afraid to go to bed... *sigh*

RED PEPPER QUILTS said...

Happy New Year, Cathy! What great gifts! Love the table runner.

I spent the first day of the year getting together and taking pictures of my first blog giveaway that will be posted in a few days! Then I went to work till late evening. It pays for the fabric addiction!

Cardygirl said...

Happy New Year Cathy...love both SSCS presents...two clever ladies. The book looks great too!

Deb said...

What lovely gifts you made/received. I hope you manage to get some time to create once the house clears out!

Julie said...

Fabulous table runner, I love the big snow flakes and how they are quilted around.

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

Really cute stuff. Love the snowflake and the table runner is perfect.

Dee said...

Beautiful pieces to ring in the New Year and I can't wait, can't wait! to see you do the Mandala quilt!

Happy New Year!

Rene' said...

Happy New Year! Love the table runner you received as a gift. The snowflakes are gorgeous. The quilt you made is also beautiful. Great colors!

Sarah said...

Your lap quilt is gorgeous! I'm sure the receiver will be very grateful. :-)

Busy As Can Be said...

Happy Happy New year! I love the table runner!

modloft furniture said...

Love this particular quilt of yours a lot..it is like painting a huge picture of many many colors.

maui water sports said...

GREAT! I should get the book you have there.

network mrketing said...

I might get this book soon and help me out with my quilting. :P