Sunday, March 14, 2010

Making a comeback (hopefully)!

Wow, I can't believe it's been a month since I was here last. Thank you so much for all the wonderful emails making sure I was ok, I really appreciated them and they helped me get through many non-stitching, non-blogging days!!

Ok as far as the shoulder goes, I have now had a cortisone injection into a couple of joints (not very pleasant as it took about 20 minutes for the doctor to get the needle in the right place, even under ultrasound!). This does seem to be settling things down a bit so I'm slowly allowing myself some stitching time. Between the injections, the physio and joining up with my local gym to do some aqua aerobics for strengthening muscles, fingers crossed perhaps my shoulder will be ok.

I do have some quilty pics to show you, I have just completed the fourth border on my Love and Romance quilt. To refresh memories (cause I haven't been here for awhile!), I'm using Kim McLeans Hearts and Flowers Pattern from one of Kaffe's recent books Quilt Romance.
My goal was to make this quilt using ONLY Amy Butler's gorgeous Love range of fabrics (although one Kaffe navy shot cotton has crept in there). I have adapted Kim's pattern slightly to allow for the highly patterned fabrics.
What a wonderful pattern this one is, I'm so thrilled how it's coming together with Amy's fabrics, this quilt has given me a lot of joy.
It's been fun fussy cutting from the fabrics to make up each block.
The patterns and colours blend into each other somewhat thereby making the eye spend lots of time looking at all the different details within the quilt.
I'm not entirely sure which fabrics I will use for my final two borders, I may even use one of Amy's Home Dec fabrics, again from the Love range.

When I'm not stitching or at the gym/doctor's/physio I'm drooling over Kaffe's most recent book that has been popping up over blogland, and yes here is another pic of it!
All I can say is OH WOW, Kaffe and team you have done it again. Living up to the books title Simple Shapes, I love how Kaffe has shown his inspiration for his quilts from everyday patterns and shapes, check out the back cover of the book.
Oh yes, I'm inspired again!

Hope to be back sooner next time, til then, keep those fingers busy xo

33 comments:

Miriam said...

Great to see you back Cathy!! :)

I love how you quilt is looking! Gorgeous!

I hope your shoulder recovers fully very soon.

Lizzie said...

Welcome back, we've missed you! Gorgeous quilt - as usual, I love your sense of colour relations...
Lizzie
xxx

Lynette said...

Welcome back missed your blogging. Your quilt is amazing

Quiltefia said...

Wow!! I love your work!! I realy hope that your shoulder will bee ok again!! AnneK:-)

wishes, true and kind said...

Woo hoo! Welcome back! You have been missed. I'm glad to see you have kept up working on this quilt. It's a beauty!

Valentina said...

Dear Cathy, hoping you will back to normal soon, we all need to keep making such inspired quilts! What a stunner. I could spend days studying your quilt...so much to learn from YOU!
xox from Cyprus
Valentina

Andi said...

Quilt is looking gorgeous.
Glad you're on the mend.
Andi x

One Flew Over said...

So glad you are back Cathy! Hope your shoulder is on the mend x

Janet said...

You were missed Cathy but it's good to hear you've had some improvement. Your quilt is a stunner as all yours are. Keep looking after that shoulder, it's not good to have a quilter down. I have to get that book!

dragonfly gypsy said...

Hi Cathie, great to see you are back and feeling a bit better. I am a friend of Kim McLeans so I am very impressed with what you have done so far with her quilt. I will let her know to check it out. Cheers Sharron

Marit said...

Beautiful quilt! Take care and be well soon!

Nedra said...

You have been missed. I hope your shoulder continues to improve rapidly. I bought a few fabrics from the LOVE line yesterday. Can hardly wait to play with them. Your quilt is stunning!

Rafael's Mum said...

So glad to see you back! The quilt so far is looking fantastic!! I'll have a look in the love collection regarding prints for the border. Love all the turquiose coming through.

Jackie said...

Hi Cathy, So glad to see that you are back and doing better. I had been checking your blog and couldn't wait to see you back. Your quilt is looking fantastic!! I love it!! And don't you just love the new Kaffe book? I am already planning on making several of the quilts!

Quilts on Bastings said...

Hi Cathy,
Great to have you back - and what a comeback - your quilt is coming along beautifully. I hope your shoulder keeps improving.
Cheers,
Karen

Stephanie said...

Welcome back. Glad your shoulder is progressing. WOW...that is THE most gorgeous quilt using LOVE fabric that I've ever seen. Gorgeous fabrics, pattern and stitching perfection. A definite show stopper.

Victoria @ BUMBLE BEANS said...

YOUR BACK!!!! eeeek! that shoulder stuff sounds dreadful! Hope your mending well! Your quilt is looking lovely!!! Fun!

YankeeQuilter said...

So glad you are back...love seeing your work! Hope the therapy works. Your latest quilt is gorgeous. My stitching group is making one of these for a member who is turning 60...I think yours is coming together faster than ours!

ranette said...

I'm glad you're back Cathy! You have really been missed. I hope your shoulder continues to get better. Steroid shots are the worst, but they really do help.

The quilt is amazing...just lovely and happy!

Cardygirl said...

The quilt is stunning...nice to know you are on the mend!

alobsiger said...

It's beautiful, Cathy!! Really stunning. My eye is happy to zip around the quilt admiring your fabric choices! That navy is a perfect addition! So great to hear your voice again and glad the shoulder is improving!!

Julie said...

Stunning!!

RED PEPPER QUILTS said...

Yikes! The treatment sounds nasty, but glad you are on the mend. The "Love" Hearts and Flowers Quilt is fantastic. What wonderful use of these fabrics.

Rita

Meerkat said...

Wow your work is so detailed! Beautiful !

sewpam63 said...

Good to 'see' you again. : ) Your Hearts and Flowers quilt is amazing, Cathy. Beautifully done!!! Take care of your shoulder - be careful, patient and mindful, please 'cause we ALL have missed you and your works. Best stitches for health and healing!!!

VeeV said...

I've been waiting a long time to finally "see" you. i'd just discovered your blog when you took a break...

good to see you... look forward to seeing lots of you

xo
eva

imquilternity said...

Wonderful to see you back in action, even if it is somewhat limited. Take care with your shoulder...I can relate. Your quilt is absolutely gorgeous...what a wonderful treat for us.

Sarah said...

Hey Cathy, It's lovely to hear from you again in blogland. Glad to hear there has been some progress with your shoulder. Sounds like you are doing everything possible! Your Love Quilt is stunning. I can't believe there's more to come! Can't wait to see the finished product.

Jenny said...

Welcome back Cathy, so nice to hear from you and see your progress. Hope your shoulder continues to mend.

Meredith said...

Pretty Quilt. I hope your shoulder heals.

Dee said...

Sew very glad to see you back and hear about how you're healing! The quilt is just gorgeous!

Missed your beautiful words and work.

izzy inspired said...

so happy to see you back in block land and more importantly to hear that your doing better. the quilt is gorgeous, a masterpiece in the making!!

belinda said...

L-U-V....L-U-V.....L-U-U-U-V this quilt!!