Wednesday, April 14, 2010

How to Make a Snowball

For my sweet Sister who lives 1800 kilometres away from me!

For those of you who are living in a country where it snows, I realise you are probably very sick of seeing snowballs as you are coming out of winter. I promise these snowballs are a lot brighter, very cheery, and will eventually make you warm! This is how we throw snowballs around here:

Take one large square and four small squares (I cut them 6" for the larger square and 2 1/4" for the smaller).
Place the four small squares onto the corners of the large square, right sides facing. (Remember you need to layout your entire quilt to work out which colour squares go where...refer to this post!)
Sew diagonally across the small squares, I eyeball this line however you can rule a pencil line across first.
Measure 1/4" from the sewn line and cut off the top triangles.
Iron the blocks out flat and there is your first snowball block. So easy!
My applique design for my snowball quilt is finished and I'm very impatiently waiting for the postie to bring me some fabric so I can get started on the applique (I didn't have quite enough for the applique). I decided to go with a bit of a fern leaf look....this is the applique pattern for the larger square:
this will be the applique pattern for the smaller square:

On a different note, thanks  for all those asking about my shoulder. It is still very sore after work and computer work, so I may not reply to comments yet for awhile (I love reading them though, so keep them coming, I truly appreciate them), luckily stitching and even cutting out seem to be different motions and therefore don't seem to hurt my shoulder. I am still being careful though not to do too much too soon.

Now if you want to see a beautiful snowball quilt, the wonderful Nedra at Cactus Needle Quilts did a lovely post on my unfinished snowball (thank you Nedra), and showed her stunning Kaffe snowball (I love Kaffes!). Nedra based her colour choices for her snowballs on the desert where she lives, I think it is stunning!

23 comments:

Maree: said...

thanks for the Tutorial...I have one of these in mind with Kiddies Fabric...Good to hear your shoulder is feeling better...
cheers

Andi said...

Nice!
If you sew an extra line 1/2 inch from the centre lines before cutting, then cut between the 2, you have some cute little HSTs to make a matching cushion!!
See you at AQC?
Andi :-)

two hippos said...

great tutorial! I don't mind snow balls, its just what happens to the beautiful white stuff when it turns to a London grey mush:)

Janet said...

That's a great size for a snowball block. I love Andi's idea too. Nedras quilt is gorgeous the way she mixed the solids and prints is wonderful. Your applique designs are funky and fabulous, can't wait to see them stitched up.

RED PEPPER QUILTS said...

Great post! Love Nedra's Quilt too, thanks for the link.

Katy said...

I love snowballs - can't wait to see how the applique on your quilt looks, the design is gorgeous!

Rafael's Mum said...

Larger square? smaller square? Looking forward to seeing this as I am having difficulty visualizing this..

Quilts on Bastings said...

I love your applique design - can't wait to see it on the quilt you are going to make.

Christine said...

Glad you are able to post a little and get a bit of sewing done.
Hope you are feeling better very soon.

cheers
Christine

Stephanie said...

Those are my kind of snowballs. Bright and happy! It's going to be stunning in that yummy Anna Maria Horner voile paired with applique!

Stacy (S.E.W.Butterfly) said...

Thanks for your tutorials! And, I love Kaffe's, too!

alobsiger said...

Beautiful! I certainly don't mind festive snowballs! And, gosh, I need to get some of those Anna Maria Horner fabrics. SO PRETTY! Your applique designs are exquisite!! Nedra's snowball is so pretty!

O'Quilts said...

I have a number of snowballs on my blog. One of my groups was just asking how to do it and now I see your tutorial. I just made the link! Perfect and thank you.

wishes, true and kind said...

I'm glad your shoulder is somewhat better, and that you are taking care of yourself. I love your appliqué pattern and can't wait to see it all done up.

Victoria @ BUMBLE BEANS said...

looks good! I got two snowball tops done in the last couple months, gotta say though all those little corners drove me nuts.... I think it was just the monotony of sewing them that got to me!!
;-) oh well.. cute cute stuff as always my dear!

Hi! My name is erica. Would you be my friend? said...

Funny, I just remembered that I had a dream about AMH fabrics. I can't quite remember the gist of it...I was looking at them in a store.

I'm glad you're still able to sew and cut. :)

YankeeQuilter said...

I made a snowball quilt with Halloween fabrics in the centers and oranges, purples and greens on the corners. It is a great pattern to highlight some large fun prints.

Anonymous said...

OOOOO, thank you so much. I live in the Midwest of USA and though I'm pleased that there is no longer snow on the ground, I have been looking for an easy way to make "snowballs". I've been searching the internet and they all looked so time-consuming. I have been watching your blog closely because I admire your quilts and there it was. Bless you.

Deb said...

Lovely post Cathy - the snowball pattern is a favourite of mine. Can't wait to see what you do with the applique. Sorry to hear that your shoulder still isn't 100% - hope it is still improving though.

crystorama lighting said...

This was such a great tutorial thanks for all the tips

Allie said...

Definitely more cheerful than the snowballs we've had around here!
They look great!

Nedra said...

Thanks for the compliments! And I love your fabics for your snowball too! Such a fun quilt to make, and the tutorial should motivate many to get going on their's too.

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

I love snow balls. I love the block you made and of course, Nedra's quilt.