Monday, April 5, 2010

Little Folks on my Design Wall

Did you have a wonderful Easter? We had a fairly quiet one this year, with two wonderful Church services Friday and Sunday, a lovely meal with some friends, a bit of walking and lots of relaxing. In between all that I have managed to cut into my Little Folks fabric and place it onto my design wall ready for sewing. I decided to make a snowball quilt with this scrumptious fabric. In almost every Kaffe Fassett book (yes, I own them all) there is a variation on the snowball quilt. I have been admiring Kaffe's snowball quilts for so long I thought it was time I made one for myself.

First I cut out the larger squares and arranged them onto the wall until I was happy with the layout. Yes, I realise there are two blank squares in there...that is where two little applique blocks will go!!
These Anna Maria Horners fabrics are sooooo yummy. I was very nervous when I began cutting them (didn't want to waste a scrap!), but I soon relaxed and enjoyed cutting out these divine fabrics. I'm sure I've mentioned before how amazingly soft they are. Next I cut out the plain voiles and the dobby voiles to make the corner diamonds. Initially I put one square in each corner just to check my colour layout.
Once happy with the colour placement, I laid out all the corner squares (which will eventually become diamonds again once sewn, cut and pressed). Can you see the pattern? I can't wait to make them into diamonds again.
Lastly I pinned all the little squares onto each larger background square, collected up each row and now I have a pile of squares ready for sewing.
Aaahh I've had so much fun playing with all this wonderful colour, how satisfying it is to be a quilter!!!

25 comments:

Andi said...

OMG!!
This is going to be AMAZING!!!!!

Jackie said...

Cathy, This is going to be one terrific quilt! You have a wonderful eye for color! I love it all. Can't wait to see more.

Lesly said...

Wonderful! I've got a stack of voiles I'm scared about cutting into, but your quilt is an inspiration to get going!

Stephanie said...

Amazing how a simple design can look so spectacular. Gorgeous fabrics too.

Nedra said...

I have made a snowball quilt out of Kaffe's and it is proudly displayed on my Master Bedroom wall. So simple and yet it allows his beautiful fabrics to shine forth.
Looking forward to seeing your finished project. It's beautiful already.

alobsiger said...

This is going to be a beauty, Cathy! The most recent Kaffe snowball I want to make (note the "want to make") is the luscious colorway shown in the first issue of Quilt Life mag (the kit can be seen at Glorious Patchwork). Your AMH fabrics are going to be luscious!

Greener Pastures Farm said...

This is so yummy! Thank you for sharing the process. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool scrappy quilter, and look forward to future postings from you!

wishes, true and kind said...

Great visuals! I, too, have noticed that Kaffe constantly returns to that snowball shape. Your pictures help show why. As I was reading in Google Reader, all I could first see was the lovely squares, and I thought -- "No, they look great! Leave them like this!" But then you showed how adding the little pops of color that would turn them into snowballs actually enhances those gorgeous fabrics! It is satisfying to be a quilter, and these yummy pictures are enough to satisfy me all day!

Katy said...

gorgeous!!!! I've been cutting my little folks too - aren't they lovely?

Kim said...

Cathy this is going to be wonderful!!! I am always drawn to his snowball quilts too! Just love what you're doing on this one!!

Lorraine said...

This will be stunning , the fabrics are so beautiful

Lizzie said...

Wow Cathy, it's going to be fabulous. I so admire your colour 'eye', it's always a treat to see how you put it together.
Have a good week
Lizzie
xxx

imquilternity said...

Hey....were you peeking at my latest project? I LOVE your taste in fabrics and patterns!

Kelly said...

Happy Easter Cathy! It's amazing what the little diamonds do for the plain squares, Cant wait to see what your doing with the applique!

Carla said...

Cathy, I enjoy your color sense and fabric selection.......so pretty and yummy. Simple is all it takes to turn gorgeous fabric into a stunning quilt and this project proves it once again!

Lynette said...

Kathy this is going to be just gorgeous - you are so clever - all your projects are just divine.

Sarah said...

Hi Cathy, these fabrics are indeed divine! You are so good at putting colours together.
:-) I can't wait to see the snowballs!! Hope you are well. Cheers, Sarah

Janet said...

Delicious fabrics Cathy and the snowball is on the list if I ever get around to it. I'm sure the applique is going to be a graet addition too.

Sonnja said...

Cathy this is going to be wonderful!
Bear regards,

Beertje Zonn
Bear from the Netherlands

Cardygirl said...

Beautiful Cathy! I always love snowballs...can't wait to see it progress.

Quilts on Bastings said...

Hi Cathy,
This is going to be another stunning quilt!

Hi! My name is erica. Would you be my friend? said...

It looks great Cathy! I love the look of the snowball, but I don't enjoy making them. I can't stand having to mark before I sew, and I'm not good enough to eyeball it. :D

sewjourn said...

You have been productive! Can't wait to see it finished - looks divine so far.

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

What a great design to feature the Little Folks fabric. Love your appliqué designs - it is going to be stunning.

XUE said...

oh my goodness! I enjoy this post with the step-by step pics & being able to see/read how you are going about making this beautiful design!