Monday, May 17, 2010

A Shocker on My Design Wall

I've just spent a wonderful weekend with a friend who took me to stay with her parents on their small farm at Phillip Island. Before I left I managed to get a quilt cut out and hung on my design wall. This quilt is based on a quilt in Kaffe Fassetts new book Simple Shapes Spectacular Quilts. Kaffe's quilt is called Haze Kilim and it's a divine mix of stripes and triangles. I hope to make it in its gloriously stripey form in the future, but this time I wondered what it would look like made up with florals and dots.

I began with some of Kaffe and Philip Jacobs magnificently grandiose florals which I hung on my wall.
Then the fun part...collecting enough dots to give the quilt a bit of shock value. I chose my dots mainly from Kaffe and Brandon Mably's gleefully eccentric dots, with a few Amy Butlers and Michael Millers thrown in. Initially I began with some dots of lighter value, but soon realized I wanted these dots to stand out from the romantic florals and tingle the senses! The darker purples, pinks and tobacco's certainly assault the eye first, but then it's fun to see other patterns emerge around the quilt.
My design wall by the way, is simply a piece of quilt batting that I pintacked to a wall in our house. It is fabulous to have a place to lay out all the colour and shapes and mix them around until I'm happy with the end result.
 I did get some sewing started on this last week, another wonderful thing about having a design wall is that I can work on little units from the quilt, sew them, trim them, iron them......
and then place them back onto the design wall before moving onto the next unit.
I decided it might be fun to turn one of the coloured photo's into a black and white one, you can really see where the darker dots stand out when you do this. They are reasonably balanced over the quilt, I think they will do anyway!
I will leave you with some pics I took while staying at my friends parents farm on the weekend. Frisky little calf...
Inquisitive foal called Kenny....
Aren't the tulips gorgeous?
Til next time xo

27 comments:

Kate said...

Looks great! Such an explosion of colour. I really need to put up a design wall...

sewpam63 said...

Wow, Cathy!!! You stun me and leave me with my mouth hanging open. : ) BEAUTIFUL quilt! I like the farm photos too.

Jackie said...

Cathy, you just know how I feel about this quilt! It is just beautiful! I so agree with you about doing a picture in black and white. It really does help you to determine values and the balance of those values all over the quilt. I think you have done a wonderful job with this quilt! I have made some progress on mine and am hoping to post some pictures this week. Loving the process.

Andi said...

Stunning!!
Beautiful!!
You are amazing!!!

Kelly said...

Wow Cathy! It is fantastic! I love the idea of the b&w to check for balance! Cute animals too!

quiltmom said...

Cathy,
A lovely quilt- I just got this book in the post. It has such great photos to drool over - never mind the patterns. Some of his patterns are a bit too busy for me but I like many of them. I have bought a few of his fabrics in the last few months- I found some on line for more reasonable prices than what I can buy locally. It is interesting to see his fabrics close up- the computer does not always give a good sense of the size of the design.
I love how you used the black and white part to give a sense of the color value. Thanks for sharing your new quilt.
Regards,
Anna

Lizzie said...

Can I just say - WOW! I love it Cathy, you have such a wonderful eye for colour, turning a paler shade of green here.... ;o)
I have lived in Victoria for over 30 years now and I STILL haven't been to Phillip Island!!! Love those tulips too.
Lizzie
xxx

Janet said...

It's wonderful Cathy, I'm still poring over my book. I even like the squares sitting in the first photo. Love the animals, sounds like you had some great R&R. I love the orange tulips.

wishes, true and kind said...

Your quilt is dynamite! And I love it both before and after the addition of the triangles. It almost reminds me of the difference between my hexagon WIP and my cross quilts (WIPs) -- one energetic and vibrant, and the others calmer, quieter. I guess there's a quilt for every mood!
And those tulips look like they were made just for your quilt. Or is it the other way around?

Rafael's Mum said...

It's beautiful Cathy!! Amazing how much design talent you have! No wonder you are in Kaffe's top ten blogs! I am jealous and in awe. It's just lovely !!

meli B said...

Hi, I just put something together that is almost the same. What I love is the way you planned it all. I am nowhere nearly so organised but I guess with Fassett fabrics I can get away with it most of the time. Looking forward to looking through the rest of your blog as this quilt is a stunner.

Brianna said...

Love the first photo, looks fantastic with just the white framing the florals. I do love it with the dots around it as well! So bright and it looks great in the black and white photo as well. Can't wait to get started on mine!

Helen in Switzerland said...

Hi Cathy,
that is going to be one eye-popping quilt! Love it, love it, love it! It makes me want to get the colours out....
Have fun with it - I can't imagine anything else but fun is possible!
best wishes,
Helen

Rebecca said...

You always look out side of the box and I like that about you. The quilt is looking great and loking forward to seeing the end result.
Hugs Bec

Cardygirl said...

Looking great Cathy...& thanks for sharing your creative process too. Look forward to seeing it evolve further.

Christine said...

Another stunning quilt, you know my daughter saw my Kaffe fabrics and ask me what I was on when I bought them, cheeky girl

cheers
Christine

Marit said...

Just love what you are doing here....
and your designer wall is super. Mine is removable, would love to make it stationary like yours. Have fun working on your beautiful quilt!

; )

Stephanie said...

Wow Cathy I couldn't imagine adding more color to the florals but those dots are just perfect and they really do add to the quilt's overall look.

alobsiger said...

This quilt is going to have so much pizazz! I love it! Zippy, bright and FUN! Fantastic job as usual, Cathy!!!

YankeeQuilter said...

Looks great! I use the black and white option to view contrast often...really helpful with placement.

Chartreuse Moose said...

What great fabrics...they all just zing!!!

Doris said...

Wow...I wish that was my design wall.....

Karen said...

I agree with Doris (above) - I wish that was my design wall. Both quilts are fabulous!! Great choices so far.

frayedattheedge said...

Super quilt - and a good idea to look at it in B&W.

Claudia said...

It's great to see your process. I use a flannel sheet but I could really use a bigger spot like yours. Looks like a spectacular quilt shaping up although I really like the florals alone against the white.

Char said...

Beautiful, beautiful quilt.

bingo~bonnie said...

Oh I la,la,love those TULIPS!!! I'll just pretend that you posted that photo just for little ole me ;)

they are beautiful! I don't recall ever seeing orange ones before!

Love from Texas! ~bonnie