Thursday, June 17, 2010

Au Revoir!

Clothes packed....house ready for the sitter....stitching packed....camera in....we are almost ready for our road trip! At 4am tomorrow (Friday) morning we will drag ourselves out of bed (and its freezing at that time of the morning here), bundle ourselves into our car, and head off towards Brisbane. Over the next three weeks we will drive well over 4,000 kilometres and visit all our families and many friends that we left behind nearly 6 years ago when we moved from Brisbane to Victoria. We are very excited!

I have been very busy over the past couple of weeks trying to get a quilt finished to take with me. My Fassetted Mosaic quilt is now almost finished. I only need to handstitch the binding and cut all the remaining threads.
I used Charcoal Kona cotton for the binding, it doesn't show up well in the photo's, but it worked a treat.
The backing had to be more of Kaffe's mosaic fabric.
The quilting process has been so much fun on this quilt. In my last post I showed how I quilted the diamonds. For the border I simply quilted along the gold lines already on the fabric. It helps give the border an even more pronounced mosaic look.
On the way home from Brisbane we are going to stay with relatives in Sydney where I will get a chance to visit Kathy and her wonderful team at Material Obsession...Yay, lucky me! I hope to get my mosaic quilt totally finished to show Kathy at the shop!

Talking of Material Obsession, my last Sue Ross block arrived today. I have become very behind in my blocks, but will prioritise these blocks when I return from our trip. The whole time we have never known what our finished quilt will look like....today we received the finished photo...and I'm thrilled, this quilt is gorgeous don't you think?

Also in the mail today I received a very exciting press kit from Rowan (thank you Sarah). Amy Butler and Kaffe Fassett have combined forces and come up with this divine cotton....100% extra long Mercerized Egyptian Cotton nr 50.
The boxes delivered to me are Stones from Kaffe, and Soul Blossoms from Amy, aren't they gorgeous? The threads are designed to harmonise with their individual fabrics, for example, Amy's thread matches her new range Soul Blossoms due out in September (which I am so excited about, roll on September!!). Aren't the little boxes cute?
Like Mrs Schmenkman, I have not sewed with this thread yet. I had to give my baby away today....my sewing machine has been put into the shop for a service while I'm away...does anyone else get jittery when they don't have their sewing machine in the house, even if they are going to be away the whole time?!!! Anyway, I will let you know how these cottons sew up in the future.

Have you had enough of me yet? Cause I also received some Philip Jacobs fabric in the mail this week. They are divine and these colours remind me of vintage sheets.
 I'm thinking I will add some Kaffe shot cottons and some Kona solids with them for a more muted colour range than I am perhaps used to lately.
Phew, I think that is all for now. Please be aware I won't be able to answer emails for the next 3 weeks. I may be able to pop in here now and again if I can get to a computer somewhere in our travels, otherwise, I hope you all stay well and keep creating. See you in a few weeks xo

44 comments:

susi said...

daer kathy,thats just fantastic!!!very well done,have a nice trip,susi

Kelly said...

Love the quilt more and more each time I see it!
Have a great holiday!

Cardygirl said...

Great fabrics...if you are on the New England Highway call out & call in! Love to see you as you pass through NSW!

Janet said...

I love your quilt and the quilting on it was perfect. You have some nice goodies there and I'll be interested to see you playing with those fabrics. Have a wonderful safe trip and wave to us all when you're in Sydney.

VeeV said...

this mosaic is incredible!!!!
amazingly beautiful!!!

xo
eva

izzy inspired said...

your quilt is a mosaic beauty! have a wonderful vacation enjoying all your friends and family.

oh, I can't wait to hear how those threads work....the colors are gogeous!

Claire - Matching Pegs said...

Cathy, it looks amazing!

Congratulations. I love the Philip Jacobs fabric too - I am quite envious.

I finished my little tile and grout piece, you can see it here....
http://www.matchingpegs.com/2010/06/13/finished-be-it-flower-or-rabbit/

Have a great trip!

Robyn said...

Oh Cathy, it's all so divine!!
Love the mosaic...it turned out so wonderfully!

The fabrics are yummy and the cottons sound like such a great idea.

Ditto to the sewing machine 'thing'. Yep.

Oh and have the best trip catching up with family and be safe.

two hippos said...

I love your mosaic quilt, have a wonderful trip too!

Sarah said...

Hey Cathy, I hope you have a fantastic trip! Brisbane is beautiful at the moment. The mosaic quilt looks really, really beautiful. Congratulations on a marvelous creation! Where do you get your Kaffe shot cottons? I've never seen them in the shops up here and haven't had much luck finding them on the internet... Anyway! Enough nattering from me!

Chookyblue...... said...

hey I got the SR BOm today too and was so peeved with myself for not keeping up as it looks great and I like you had no idea it would look like this........

what way you heading north???

alobsiger said...

Ahhh, what can I say about the mosaic except GORGEOUS and AMAZING! A true beauty! I want to touch it with all the stitching. Oooh, your thread colors are pretty too! Love the new additions -- the shot cottons you have to go with the new prints are yummy. I'm especially in love with that primula print. Have a wonderful and safe trip! We'll see you when you get back!

nicolette said...

Some pictures of luscious stuff!

Bon voyage!

Jackie said...

You are going to have a fantastic time visiting friends and family!! I just know it. All I can say is wow, you are a dynamo for finishing the Fassetted mosaic so quickly. It is a beauty!! Just unbelievable. Yes, the threads are gorgeous and are ordered for the shop. They will be in soon I hope. Philip Jacobs has done a wonderful job with his new line. I have been playing with the ones that have arrived in the shop and just like you pairing them up with solids. Brandon's new fabric should be arriving soon as well, and you can imagine how giddy I am about that!! Anyway, have a safe and wonderful trip visiting friends and family!

Maree: said...

I got my SR BOM today too and had no Idea it was to look like it is...I am Surprised but Pleased...I'LL wave to you as you drive up the M1 from the GC to Brissy...I'm off exit 41..Enjoy your Trip & I'm Jealous that you are visiting MO's Shop...do Enjoy.!!...I'm sure Kathy will just Love your quilt..
cheers

Tatkis said...

Your Mosaic quilt is absolutely beautiful! I'm very-very impressed :)

Best wishes,
Tatyana

two hippos said...

I love your Mosaic Quilt. It is gorgeous.

Nedra said...

Your quilt is amazing, and the ladies at MO will love it! Lucky you to be able to go to MO!
Have a safe and wonderful trip, and we look forward to lots of news and pictures when you return.

Ann Champion said...

Your Mosaic Quilt is spectacular! You finished it in such a short time too.
Your new fabrics and threads are yummy..I can't wait to see what you come up with.
Have a safe trip! :)

imquilternity said...

Have an absolutely wonderful vacation!

Darlene said...

Your quilt is STUNNING!

Mama Spark said...

Have a wonderful vacation! Love, love, love your mosaic quilt too. I will be anxious to hear how you like the new thread once you get a chance to try it. I also get jittery when my machine goes in for service, except that I usually do it around Christmas when things are so hectic, seems to help.

Shelley said...

Have a fantastic trip with your family! Congrats on your lovely mosaic quilt; it's a one-of-a-kind treasure. The Sue Ross quilt is going to be fantastic as well - I am signing up for the next go-around of that program from MO starting in August.

sewpam63 said...

Enjoy your trip, Cathy. Safe travels, God speed and FUN, FUN, FUN!!! You certainly deserve a rest after so much sewing. You are one creative wizard with cloth and sewing machine. She will be fine and all ready to stitch when you return! Don't fret. Beautiful, special, Awesome, gorgeous, Spectacular Fassetted Mosaic quilt, Cathy.

Stephanie said...

Your quilt is just spectacular!!! I absolutely can not wait until September for Soul Blossoms and I want to try some of the new thread too.

Denice Barker said...

That mosaic quilt is mesmerizing. Absolutely fascinating. Congratulations on your hard work. I don't know that I could have done a project like that. Amazing.
OH! Thank you for the tote! It arrived in the mail yesterday and it's a beauty! I posted a picture on my page. Thank you and good trip. Drive safe.

Miriam said...

Travel safely, Cathy.

Your mosaic quilt is a true work of art! Magnificent!!

Those threads look very tempting. Delicious colours!
Gorgeous fabrics. I saw some shot cottons yesterday and the colours are wonderful.
I am going to be without my machine next week too.....I do have a back up machine to keep me from getting too jittery!! lol

BRODERIE & THE KINGSTON GIRLS said...

cathy, your quilt is amazing, you are a master of that sewing machine. i think you deserve a holiday after such a project. safe travels!

Andi said...

That quilt!!! THAT QUILT!!!!!!
You are seriously clever.
Has Kaffe seen that?????
Have an amazing trip.
Catch you when you get back.
Andi :-)

Blossy said...

I {heart} that quilt! It looks fantastic!!
Enjoy your holiday! And be careful with all that driving.

Sonja♥ said...

Your quilt is magnificent!!!!!
Have a lovely vacation with your family:)

Kathie said...

beautiful
OH I LOVE these threads, they sew wonderful and yes good for applique too!
can't wait to hear how you like them
Kathie

Ineke van den Akker said...

Just love this! The fabric, the Quilt!
greetings from Holland,
Ineke

Muddling Through said...

Your quilt is just incredibly beautiful! What an awesome job you've done.

Hope you're having fun on your trip.

Hi! My name is erica. Would you be my friend? said...

WOW! It's awesome Cathy! And that border fabric is just perfect! I just love it!

What a fun bundle of threads! I just love the colors. It almost seems a shame to use them! :D

Valerie said...

I hadn't seen that mosaic fabric before, now I want some!!!! Plus, even those Kaffe styled boxes for thread are good looking. He's been a total inspiration to me over the years, just love his sense of colour and his patterns.
Just saw your work on Flickr, that mosaic quilt is fab, a real stunner. Best wishes, Valerie

Rafael's Mum said...

Have a great trip! A wonderful post full of lovely work and colours. You are amazing!

Juanita Johnson said...

Your mosaic quilt is beautiful! I love, love, love it! Have a great trip and enjoy all of the family and friends that you are going to see!

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

It is fabulous and amazing. You are fabulous and amazing.

Lizzie said...

Just wanted to say congrats on the FQ interview, loved it and of course as always, your gorgeous quilts..
Lizzie
xxx

Felix said...

Oh, how brilliant is your mosaic quilt!!
I am just finishing my 5th quilt (none were for me) and am looking for a project for me - you have inspired me to give the mosaic look a try.
Thank-you for sharing not only your quilt but also technique.
Have a safe, happy and memorable break!

bearpaw said...

Your mosaic quilt is one of the most amazing quilts I have ever seen! I would so love to see it in the flesh - can you send it on a tour of the UK please!?
Thanks for sharing all that news about the threads, they look very interesting.
Have a really great holiday!

Pots and Pins said...

I bought Kaffe's book about two weeks ago and have studied it every night since! I love your quilt - truly love it! You did such a wonderful job and it's so creative and unique...I'm working on his other "diamond" quilt in the book - it's coming along slowly but I think it will be great when it's done. Thanks for much for posting your quilt pics - they are a huge inspiration to me! xo, Nan

Sarcastic Quilter said...

That is just a fantastic mosaic! I'm drooling and my gears are turning at some ideas for one of my own in something other than diamonds. :D Yours is simply too pretty to try to replicate.