Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Hello from Sunny Brisbane

Just a quick hello to you all...we had a wonderful two day drive to Brisbane, it's been lovely to see family and friends some of whom we have not seen for nearly three years. After leaving cold Melbourne behind, we have welcomed the warmth of Brisbane's winter days. We are sure the sun shines brighter here, and the clouds have been treating us to stunning displays....check out these clouds over the Brisbane Eye in Southbank.
We had a wonderful time with my sister, her husband and four gorgeous boys over the weekend. My sister is a graphic artist and her house is filled with wonderful art and crafts that she has designed and created. She doesn't mind me sharing some of them here. As you know I had fun making my mosaic quilt. My sister has designed and made a real mosaic for her toilet floor....it is incredible.
Her fish are amazing, swimming in their stream over the tiled floor!
She has also made some incredible stained glass windows. This one is based on designs by the Scottish artist and jewellery maker Rennie Mackintosh. It looks stunning with the sun shining through it over her stairs.
Of course she can make quilts too, this crosses quilt will cover her daybed when finished. Very talented girl!
Being away from home, hasn't quite meant that I haven't bought new patterns....I have been eagerly awaiting Kim McLeans new quilt Roseville Album....have you seen it yet, Oh My! I have bought it from Glorious Colour and it should be waiting for me by the time we arrive home in a week on Friday, yay!

Thinking of you all, Cathy xo









29 comments:

Sue said...

wow you certainly are part of a talented family aren't you Cathy.

Rafael's Mum said...

Great photo of the eye and WOW, what a talented sister you have! Love that mosaic! Fantastic! and the stained glass too.. So glad you are having a nice time!

Janet said...

What beautiful photos. Your family are so multi talented. I love the floor mosaic a lot and the stained glass is gorgeous.

two hippos said...

Your sister is certainly very talented, I love her mosaic!

One for a wish.. said...

That cloud shot is fantastic! And one clever sister!

Marit said...

Enjoy your visit! And congratulations on a lovely interview with Fat Quarterly!

; )

Margaret said...

Terrific post I support all the comments before , talent galore in your family. I twas the Hello from Sunny Brisbane that bought me over. I wonder how many Miners Couches were made during the turn of the century ?

RED PEPPER QUILTS said...

What a talented family! Love love love the mosaic fish and the stain glass window.

Enjoy your holiday,
Rita
x

Jackie said...

Wow, your sister is quite talented!! That floor is gorgeous. I am very partial to stained glass. I have lamps all over the house that are stained glass and a window over my stairs too. I adore what your sister made. Just gorgeous!

Stephanie said...

Your family has a crafting gene apparently. Perhaps a future quilt idea using the mosaic in the bathroom for inspiration???

Marina said...

Sunny Brisbane sounds much better than freezing Sydney. It's so c-c-c-cold!! Love your sister's mosaic -- and your Kaffe Fasset one!

Chartreuse Moose said...

Grand post, thank you! Might there be a new quilt in the photo of the eye brewing??? ;-) Oh what a lovely bathroom floor...I'm drooling! Sounds like the perfect holiday!

Shelley said...

So wonderful to hear from you - glad you are having fun on your trip. Wow - you and your sister are BOTH so talented! Congrats on your FQ interview - you really do have a gift for the art of quilting :)

ranette said...

Sounds like you are having a great time Cathy...you and your sister are cut from the same cloth, both extremely talented! Her stained glass window and the mosaic on the bathroom floor are amazing. Keep on having fun!!!

Cardygirl said...

What a talented pair you are! Glad you are having fun!

Maree: said...

What a Talented Family you have...that Mosaic is Stunning...wow that new pattern of Kim's is a whole lot of work but Beautiful...I have just got Lollipop Trees from the same co..very prompt service...Glad you are enjoying our weather...
cheers

Jody said...

Oh Cathy! The sky above the ferris wheel is extraordinary! I need to come "Down Under" to see with my own eyes. Your sis' mosiac is inspirational. Is it fair for so much talent to reside in one family!!!!

Busy As Can Be said...

Its so fun to see what you are up to!

wishes, true and kind said...

Well, I see artistic talent runs in the family!

Bobbie Ashley said...

Cathy, love the floor, what a talented sister. Talent must run in your family. The ferris wheel is so inspiring, take a ride for me. Have a wonderful time.

Cheers,
Bobbie

Victoria @ BUMBLE BEANS said...

ooh! everything looks sooo goood! great photos!! have fun!!

Katherine said...

That first photo is absolutely gorgeous! Stunning!

sewpam63 said...

I LOVE the fish floor!!! I can see that creativeness is in your genetic code, Cathy!!! : ) Wonderful fun stuff you've posted here! And, just think - your sewing machine will be all tuned up and ready + Roseville Album will be waiting. The FUN continues!!! Enjoy!

Nedra said...

I can see you two have a lot in common in the talent department. Looks like you had a wonderful trip.

Talin's Corner said...

The mosaic fish floor is absolutely amazing! I wish it was in my house.

Sarah said...

Glad you're enjoying Bris Vegas! We love it, but we're a bit biased I guess :-)
Kim McLean's pattern is indeed gorgeous... Can't wait to see what you do with it Cathy!

Jeannette said...

Beautiful photo of the sky & ferris wheel!

Anonymous said...

Love your blog and thought you may love this...

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9781906007775/Kaffe-Fassetts-Quilts-En-Provence

Hi! My name is erica. Would you be my friend? said...

Oh wow...that fish (and the window too) is just awesome! What a happy house that must be! I wish I had some sort of creative talent...

The cloud picture is just lovely. There's something so wonderful about a happy, white-clouded sky. It always puts me in a wonderful mood!