Friday, July 16, 2010

The Humble Square

Before I left for holidays last month, I showed the gorgeous Philip Jacobs fabrics I had purchased. When I got home I wanted to dive into making a very quick and easy quilt....I admit, I was having withdrawals after three whole weeks with no stitching whatsoever!
 You cannot go past the humble square for simplicity. I teamed up the Philip Jacobs fabrics (most are from his newest releases, as well as a couple of old favourites like the banded poppy), with some Kaffe shot cottons a couple of Kona cottons, and one Amy Butler solid.

Once cut into 4 inch squares, I then played around with them on my design wall. Having the design wall up permanently in my house has been a wonderful tool. To be able to play around with different designs, and watching different patterns emerge, even simple ones, is a lot of fun.

This first design is interesting, and I might visit this one again another time, I quite like the almost zig zag effect....
 I love the downward stripes of the florals next to the downward stripes of the solids in this pattern....
 Keeping the downward stripes of  florals but mixing up the solids....
Back to stripes, diagonal this time...
 I think I have decided on which design to go with, I will get it sewn up before I show it (it may be a little different again!).

While we were away we mainly visited family and friends, very little sightseeing was done, so I really don't have many other photo's of our trip to show. I did however see this little guy calmly strolling across a park in the midst of suburbia one fine morning (not what you expect to see in suburbia). By the time I jumped out of the car with my camera in hand he had started to climb this tree...isn't he cute?
He was so close I could have reached out and patted him, but hey, I wasn't going near this koala...check out those sharp claws!!!
Have a wonderful weekend. xo

26 comments:

Andi said...

I have vague plans for a quilt like this using my Little Folks voile!
Yours will be, as always, stunning!!Andi x

Lizzie said...

Fabulous combination of colours as usual Cathy, can't wait to see it finished...
Lizzie
xxx

Lynne said...

I like the downward stripes the best - it reminds me of Kaffe Fassett's diagona madness!

Helen in Switzerland said...

Sometimes when you have great fabrics and great colours simple just knocks the socks off everything else - I can't wait to see what you decided on! And I so agree about getting withdrawal symptoms when you are separated from your sewing machine for too long!

Robyn said...

Oh Cathy it sounds like you had the best time and what a little cutie you found in town.
Yep keep away from those claws.

I couldn't agree more about the square.
Love what you're doing... I wonder what you'll do. I know what I like from what you've shown.
It will be gorgeous :-)
Have fun!!

two hippos said...

the quilts colours and fabrics are great! Amazing to see a koala in the wild! They are such beautiful animals, I cuddled one once in a zoo in South Australia.

Oops-Lah said...

wow, how lucky were you to spot that Koala! During the two years we lived in Oz I was always on the lookout for one, but was never as lucky. Of course I saw them at a parks, but that's not the same, is it? I think my favorite of your different layouts is probably the second one but I'm sure it'll look stunning, whichever you are going to make.

Kathie said...

how exciting to see a Koala that close, ok not that you asked but I like the random solids the best! can't wait to see what you make with these beautiful fabrics.
kathie

Cardygirl said...

Your new project looks good! Looking forward to the next instalment!

Katy said...

the new quilt is going to be wonderful - can't wait to see what design you've chosen!

I get quite giddy over koalas. Any Aussie animal actually. But the koala is a cute little thing, isn't it?

Stephanie said...

Delicious colors and all of your settings are terrific. Must had been fun to play. I heart Koalas.

Jackie said...

As always, love the combination of color and pattern. Wonderful layouts to choose from too. Love the Koala!

Sujata Shah said...

Lovely fabrics. Playing with squares is so much fun. Cute Koala and Lucky you!!!

Viviana said...

Hemosas telas.EXCELENTES SUS TRABAJOS!!

Dee said...

growing up, I always wanted to live in Australia and everyone bought me Koalas! He's super sweet, until you try to love on him! lol

I like the new colors and am not sure which design I like best. But, knowing you, it will be awesome no matter which way it ends up!

Karen said...

Your design wall has gotten quite a workout!! Isn't playing like that so much fun. Can't wait to see the final set.

imquilternity said...

Looking forward to seeing what you've finally decided on! Love, love, love the fabrics you've chosen to use.

Jenny said...

oh!!! she looks just like Koala Lou! from Mem Fox's book...my kids love that book! (so do i) how neat. your quilt in progress of course leaves me speechless cathy...i love the double downward stripe...jsut love it.

YankeeQuilter said...

Great fabrics...sometimes simpler blocks give the fabric mainstage (and these fabrics certainly deserve it!)

ps...love the koala bear photos!

Chookyblue...... said...

oh I like the second setting.........

and isn't it wonderful to see Koala's

helen297 said...

What a cute Koala! Love the quilt making process, a design wall sounds like a good idea!

Scarlett Burroughs said...

Thanks for sharing your design process. I linked to your post here

http://quilting.craftgossip.com/squares-on-the-design-board/2010/07/17/

Warmly,
Scarlett Burroughs
Quilting Editor, Craft Gossip

wishes, true and kind said...

Cathy, I love it when you show all the different layouts, and having done it a couple of times myself, I know how much work that is. Well, it's a little less work if you have a decent design wall and not a flannel sheet loosely tacked up. I think I will stop by Home Depot while I'm out running errands and make myself a proper (yet portable design wall).

How lucky to be up close and personal with a koala (yet still safe from those claws).

sewpam63 said...

Such gorgeous fabrics, Cathy! Thanks for showing us how you 'play' on your design wall. Will be watching to see what fabulous quilt you whip up!? ; )

A koala!!! Up CLOSE and personal!!! Neat-o!!!

Miri said...

Love the zig zaggy one...never thought of that for squares-interestingly different effect.

Kim D. said...

Love the florals with the solids, it's going to be stunning. Oh, the Koala is adorable!! How fun to be so close, boy those claws are sharp. Good thing you kept your distance.