Sunday, August 22, 2010

Quilts en Provence

A couple of you guessed correctly...I received Kaffe Fassetts new book Quilts en Provence in the mail the other day! Now it appears this book is not released until next month or so in America, however a lovely shop in Australia (Ballarat Patchwork) was selling it and I just had to get a hold of it. I will give you a preview here with permission...

As you know I love anything and everything Kaffe, and once again I am not disappointed. This book is superbly photographed (by Debbie Patterson) in the colourful town of Roussillon, south of France.
In the book we find 20 quilts charmingly displayed around Roussillon from the quiltmakers Roberta Horton, Mary Mashuta, Liza Prior Lucy, Pauline Smith, Brandon Mably, Sally Davis, Ruth Eglington and Judy Baldwin (alongside Kaffe himself of course).
Kaffe Fassett Yellow Panels Quilt
One of the things I really enjoy about Kaffe's books is that while the quilt patterns themselves can sometimes be quite simple, they are put together masterfully using the saturated colour found in the glorious fabrics from Kaffe, Brandon Mably and Philip Jacobs.
Ruth Eglington Sherbet Quilt
Philip Jacobs is the featured artist in this book and it is fascinating reading about his passions and his varied history and experiences which have influenced the incredible fabric designs he creates today.
 Philip Jacobs Garden Party fabric (various colourways)
Kaffes books are for beginner, intermediate and advanced quilters alike, whether you want to make his quilts exactly as he does, or make the quilts truly your own with colours from your own imagination (and stash!).

Liza Prior Lucy will be making up kits for each of these magnificent quilts, keep an eye out for these popular fabric packs at Glorious Colour in the next few weeks. Liza's dazzling Fruit Salad quilt (below) has really caught my eye...
 Liza Prior Lucy Fruit Salad Quilt
In a word I find Kaffe's new book inspirational (as I find all his books!). I hope you don't have to wait too long to get your copy. xo

23 comments:

two hippos said...

The new book looks lovely!

Brianna said...

Already got my copy. Can't wait for fabric packs!

Marit said...

Look forward to read this one (too).
Thank you for leaving such a lovely comment on the FQ interview!

; )

Janet said...

What a lovely little preview. Loving the pink yellow and orange one of Liza's a lot. Thanks for sharing and getting the permission.

Lynne said...

yum yum yum yum yum - I must casually mention this book to my mum in the hopes that she commissions me to make another Kaffe quilt for her!

Catherine said...

Looks like another yummy must have book from Kaffe! The last quilt I have made or very similar to it. It was called 'a thousand pyramids' and I did it in scrappy blues. Seeing that picture makes me want to make another!

Quilts on Bastings said...

It looks like Kaffe has done it again! I love his books, quilts, fabric ...

Nedra said...

I was dieing of curiousity. Thank you so much for the preview! You know how I love those Kaffes.

Jackie said...

Hi Cathy, Yep, you are right! I still haven't gotten the word yet from my Fabric Rep for Westminster when we will get it. I am hoping it will be next month, as I will be sure to stock it in the shop. Love the preview though and now even more excited to get it!

PatSloan said...

LOVE Liza's pink/yellow... what a great looking quilt!

ranette said...

So excited to see a preview of Kaffe's next book....not only do I make quilts out of his books, they are so pretty that I use them as coffee table books! Love the Fruit Salad quilt too,,,,yummy.

Kim D. said...

Thanks for the preview Cathy. Looks like another fantastic book. Can't wait to see it in the stores.

alobsiger said...

YUMMY! Thanks so much for sharing! Can't wait to get my paws on this beauty. That fruit salad quilt is GORGEOUS! I also noticed Ruth's lovely quilt recently and fell for that one too. Oh my! Oh my!

Cardygirl said...

Great preview...too tempting!

Julia said...

Thanks so much Cathy..I'm trying so hard to break out a bit more into brights...my first order of Kaffe fabrics are on the way...Here's hoping I can use them to create something beautiful as well as you do..
Julia ♥

Miriam said...

Thank you for the preview, Cathy!
The colours and designs in those Philip Jacobs fabrics are so inspiring!!!
The fruit salad quilt is amazing!

meli B said...

Wow, I've been waiting for this book to arrive at Amazon. Thanks for the sneak preview.

YankeeQuilter said...

That fruit salad quilt is wonderful...thanks for the preview!

sewpam63 said...

Thanks for the sneaky peek, Cathy! You lucky, girl. : ) Enjoy!!!

wishes, true and kind said...

Gorgeous photos. I don't buy many quilt books any more -- I usually just check them out from the library or browse the quilts on flickr, but Kaffe's books are always exceptional and timeless. I just have to own my own copies of his books because the inspiration is there every time I pick them up, year after year after year....

RuthDesigns said...

Glad you're enjoying the book Cathy, I think Liza's Fruit Salad is my favourite from this collection too. Was a stinker to draw and colour!

Ruth x

fabrics lover said...

Hmm how lucky you are. I am still waiting for my order.. Can not wait ...

Judi said...

Thanks for sharing this. The fabric packs are in at Glorious Color. I've already ordered Mexican Party. Hopefully Amazon will get the book to me before November!