Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Aussie Doll Quilt

How is your week going so far? Over the weekend my 13.y.o son rebuilt my computer for me. My computer was old and slow and now I have a new screen and speed!!! I do not know how these kids know what they are doing, but watching him rebuilding the computer was amazing. Now I do seem to have lost some emails in the process of changing over, so I do apologize if I you are still wondering why I haven't replied. I think all will run smoothly from now on.

Anyway, I just have a little quilt to show today. A couple of months ago the lovely Kate from One Flew Over put out the call for an Aussie Doll Quilt swap. I had never made a doll quilt before, much less been a part of a quilt swap so I didn't hesitate to jump in. I can only show you a few sneak peaks of this quilt so far, as it is not quite finished, and obviously I don't want my partner to see it in full yet!!
After looking over my partners blog I decided use some lighter colours over a linen background. I used Anna Maria Horners gorgeous Little Folks in lovely blues, greens, pinks and golds. Of course, designing quilts myself is all a little new to me, so I'm not sure if I'm totally happy with it, but it is sweet. I think we do look more critically at something we make ourselves don't we? Anyway, I used the needleturn method to applique the flowers and stems.
For the quilting I free motion quilted around the flowers, then straightline quilted over the background. The lovely thing about doll quilts is how fast they quilt up! The quilting is not perfect, and the background looks a little crinkly, but all the wonkiness adds character I think (I hope!).
We have a little flickr group for this swap if you want to see more beautiful doll quilts to be swapped! How lovely to put some of yourself into a little quilt to send on to someone else, as well as knowing you will receive something special in your own letterbox sometime. 

I have also decided to join up the Fat Quarterly Quiltalong. This looks like it will be a lovely, quick project. Recently I purchased a jelly roll of Moda's new Dream On fabric (full yards to be released soon I think). I will use this for the quiltalong.
Perhaps I will take inspiration from Red Pepper's gorgeous Dream On Creation.

29 comments:

Marit said...

Thank you for a lovely sneak peek of the doll quilt, it looks beautiful! Maybe this size would be great to try out some needle turn applique for a newbie?
I am one of probably many waiting for the release of Dream On. (very appropriate name). Look forward to see your take on it, Cathy.
And lucky you for having a very clever son, fixing a computer for you!

; )

Barb said...

What a cute doll quilt!

Anne-Lise at Rag, Tag, Bobtail said...

I think the dolls quilt looks lovely!

Andi said...

Doll quilt looks gorgeous!!!!
Dream on is perfect choice for that quilt-a-long.
Can your son come over to my place sometime? My son is only 6 so still can't rebuild my computer for at least a few weeks. hehehe
Andi x

RED PEPPER QUILTS said...

Love your Doll Quilt - again just amazing applique.

I look forward to seeing your Dream On creation.

Rita

Jackie said...

It is amazing what kids can do! My son, also when he was 13, built 2 computers. I was amazed at what he could do starting from scratch. Your partner is just going to love this little quilt. The sneak peeks looks fantastic!

Deb said...

The doll's quilt looks gorgeous Cathy. And I love the fabric for your latest quilt-along, I'll look forward to seeing it.

Kathie said...

oh I love this little quilt very cute, great fabric choices.
I know your recipient is going to love this quilt. she is a lucky person!
Kathie

Shellie said...

can't wait to see the entire quilt - it's so lovely!!

PS I joined the FQ quilt-along, too. my very first.

:)S

bearpaw said...

This is beautiful, I love the way you are using such bold colourful fabrics for your applique!

ranette said...

Sweet little quilt, I love it! Isn't it great to have kids that know how our computers work? I don't know what I'd do without my daughter and her boyfriend!

Nedra said...

Your partner is very lucky to have you in the swap. Even the sneak peek is beautiful.

Shelley said...

What a happy little quilt! Just the little bit of sunshine I needed on this rainy morning :) Lovely work as always; your partner will be thrilled! I'm anxious to see what you do with the Dream On (gotta find some of that for me.)

Stephanie said...

You're going to make someone squeal with delight when they receive this adorable little quilt. I love Dream On--trying to resist!

Tiffany said...

Little Folks and linen...sweet combo! Your quilting and applique is beautifully done. Your partner is sure to enjoy all your efforts.

Crispy said...

From what I'm seeing your design will be a HUGE success with your swap partner :0)

Crispy

Jodi said...

This little doll quilt looks absolutely wonderful - thanks for sharing!

alobsiger said...

Oh my goodness! Rebuilt the computer? Then I should have a certain 10 year old putting together her own ikea furniture because that can't be nearly as complicated as rebuilding the computer. Amazing what kids can do! Your doll quilt sneak peek is entirely adorable -- your partner will swoon!! I see that along with my Dream On charm pack, I may need a layer cake AND a jelly roll. :-)

wishes, true and kind said...

Wonderful doll quilt! I'm so glad we'll be quilting along together in the FG quiltalong. I love Dream On, and have been hanging onto a charm set for the perfect use. I'll be using a Plume jelly roll.

Rafael's Mum said...

Love, love, love,... outstanding as always.

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

I've been trying to find a jelly roll of that! I love your flowers. Now I'm going to go looking again for dream on.

Sarah said...

Hey Cathy, where did you find the Urban Chicks Dream On fabric? I have been looking online and can't find it anywhere. Cheers, Sarah

nicolette said...

Hello Cathy, love the sneak peek of the doll quilt. Beautiful applique and quilting!

And hurray for such a clever son!!

One Flew Over said...

Cant wait to see the doll quilt! It looks beautiful Cathy. Also glad you are joining in on the quilt along xx

SewCalGal said...

Very cute. Love it.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

izzy inspired said...

ok....cathy...you are totally making me want to live in Australia, so I can be part of the swap...and get that gorgeous quilt!! I love it and think you need to design more often, it is blatantly obvious that you are very good at it!!

As for you son fixing your computer...that is why I do not rely on parent blockers, all my kids are smart enough to by pass them all and hack any wall I try to put up (i openly admit that they have surpassed me in whit and brain) so I just leave it in the middle of the family room where I can keep a watchful eye on them.....

Mary said...

This is wonderful! The flowers are perfect with the free motion stitching on the petals...the linen really gives it a lovely texture. Terrific design!

Kelly said...

I love how you did those flowers Cathy, It looks great!
And hats off to your son for rebuilding the computer for you!!

Sonja♥ said...

You definitely CAN free motion:)))
Lovely!!!