Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Quiltalong Top Finished

We have our kids on their 3rd term school holiday break at the moment. It is always wonderful to have them home and have a little break from the usual routine. I won't get quite as much quilting done while they are around (I do like spending time with them), so it was lovely to have the Fat Quarterly Quiltalong quilt to whip up....it took about an hour to sew together today, so quick!
I really do like the way it turned out with the green polka dot fabric. I placed the blocks with the seams going sideways, then alternately longways (does that make any sense? Check the picture, you might work out what I mean!!)
This is only a small quilt, I will quilt it up then put it away for whenever I will next need a baby present (no, definitely not for me, I'm well over that stage of life I hope!). I do know that I will be needing to buy some of the yardage in this gorgeous Dream On range when it is released.

If you are wondering why I never did show a full picture of the little doll quilt I made for the Aussie Doll Quilt Swap I was in....well that is because my mind was so muddled a couple of weeks back I simply wrapped it up and posted it off without taking any photos, sigh!!!! Luckily for me, the partner I had made this quilt for was the lovely Kate from One Flew Over, she was nice enough to send me some full shot pics. I really do live up to my blonde hair some days!
As I'm sure I've mentioned here so many times lately you are sick of it that we have just had a really long, cold, gloomy winter....we are now starting to see signs of spring (even though it is still pretty cold and grey so far).
Don't you just love seasons? How comforting is it to know that change is just around the corner.
We will get our sunny days back again someday soon!
I will get some stitching done tomorrow, I have a good friend coming over for a stitch day, yay! I hope to tackle some backings for my ufo's. Have a sunny week. xo

29 comments:

Lizzie said...

Great quilt Cathy, I really love that fabric, I'm quite dotty about dots at the moment....
I love seasons too, it just takes a little longer to get here in the hills...sigh!!! Love your blossom shots though.
Lizzie
xxx

One Flew Over said...

Looks fantastic Cathy! Enjoy the break x

nicolette said...

I love the quilt-along quilt! So crisp and Spring!
The doll-quilt is awesome!

It’s a foggy day here, so more signs of Autumn are coming!

Quilts on Bastings said...

Hi Cathy,
The Fat Quarterly Quilt Along is seeing some beautiful quilts being made - yours is certainly lovely!

Jackie said...

Love the quiltalong quilt! It is always nice to have one to whip up quickly. Nothing like instant gratification. So glad that you are getting warmer weather, we are definitely getting cooler. The only thing I enjoy about the cooler weather is that I can sew more!

Karen said...

I like the quilt you are going to use for a baby gift. Those little strips around all the parts look good. I noticed that the quilt in your header has little strips too.

Cheryl said...

Nice to see a contemporary doll quilt! And thank you for sharing your signs of Spring, especially the peonies! We are praying for some fall coolness here in the AZ desert. Have fun stitching.

randi---i have to say said...

i just love that quilt! all of that green and those flowers make me wish summer would stick around a bit longer!

Crispy said...

The quilt came out lovely and it's so wonderful that you are ahead of the game for the next baby to show up instead of having to drop everything to get one done.

The mini is lovely, I'm sure Kate loves it :0)

Crispy, who will be whinning about our cold snowy winter while you are basking in the sunlight LOL.

Miriam said...

I love the effect of the light shining through the quilt! That green spot fabric is gorgeous! A beautiful quilt! I am sure it will be treasured by a new owner one day.
The doll quilt is great. I love the straight line quilting.
The pink blossom is pretty......a reminder that warmer days are not far away! :)

Ozjane said...

Quiltalong looks great finished and I too am loving the spring flowers and blossom.

Carla said...

Your dotty quilt makes me think that the pattern might be a good fit for my stash of vintage sheet FQ's. We American's who don't enjoy winter much are enjoying seeing your touches of spring...maybe a bit jealous!

Nedra said...

I love how you take pictures of your quilts in the sun, where we can see through to the seams. It almost makes the quilt take on a stained glass effect.
Sunshine is around the corner for you, and I am anxiously looking forward to the temps cooling down somewhat. So true, it's wonderful to experience the seasons.

alobsiger said...

Your quiltalong quilt is adorable! The green dot is so perfect for the alternate blocks. Very sweet! And your doll swap quilt is fantastic! Love the fabrics, love the quilting, love the inner border -- such a perfect little frame! Have FUN on your stitch day!! Hope the spring is perking you up. I am trying my best to appreciate the drama of a fall sky and the special glow of the fall sun without dwelling on the snow and cold that is sure to follow. :-)

izzy inspired said...

your quilt turned out adorable and I really like the way you alternated the direction of blocks...it add a unique dimension to the pattern.
I start to drool every time I see your mini quilt! I was so happy for Kate when she got it, what a lucky girl she is.

momto2wasd said...

Your quilt looks great! I have been thinking about placing my blocks both directions like you did--of course, I only have 1/2 my blocks finished so far.
Happy Spring to you! I hope your spring is nicer than the one we had here in WA State was this year!

Kristi in the Western Reserve said...

What a happy springlike feeling to celebrate the end of winter for you.

Helen in Switzerland said...

you did it in an hour? Who are you, Wonderwoman? No seriously - I love it - the polka dots were a great choice!

Cardygirl said...

Great quilt Cathy. A gorgeous spring morning here...hope it is brightening up at your place.

Maree: said...

Both Quilts are Great...Love the Green.
cheers

Janet said...

I love your signature sun shots of your tops. You were fast getting this one done. I love the spot fabric and the doll quilt looks wonderful too. I hope the sun is shining there today.

Teresa said...

Nice finishes! That green dot fabric is so fabulous in that project. I love how you photograph your pictures with the light behind...they look like lovely stained glass pieces and show what a lovely job you do pressing as you work. I love seasons, and fall in Michigan is glorious and my favorite. It is just beginning to slightly cool now and there is a little color showing. The next 4-6 weeks should be amazing!

In stitches,
Teresa :o)

miekeduyck said...

Beautiful quilttop, Cathy! I also like your miniquilt.
So strange that you are moving into summer, while our summer in Europe is over, and autumn is just around the corner...also "bravo" for the beautiful flower pics!

kmcl said...

Lovely quilt Cathy! Now I get it - what those jelly rolls are used for. I used to wonder. I love the gree fabric that goes with the prints.
Cheers, Kim McL

Miri said...

Great quilt! Fabulous mix of florals and the dotty!

Claudia said...

Both quilts are charming, Cathy. My daughter is just mad for green - she would love me to make a quilt dominated by green dots. :)

wishes, true and kind said...

Cathy, your quiltalong top is fabulous, and so are your lovely flowers! Hope you had a fun sewing day with your friend :D

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

Really really really cute. I love it.

Molly said...

I love the dream on line. it looks great with the polka dots!