Monday, November 1, 2010

All Around the Town

Over the past months I have been digging my UFO's out of their hiding places and airing them here with a view to trying to get them finished. A lovely blogger Teresa from Fabric Therapy reminded me of a quilt top I finished about 5 years ago. All Around the Town was a BOM I had joined (alas, I now cannot remember who I purchased this bom through). The pattern is a written by Sue Garman (pub 2000) and was put together using the needleturn applique method.
Although the fabrics that came with the pattern are not my usual choice of colours (not a Kaffe to be seen), I did thoroughly enjoy making up this quilt top. It was fun to make this quilt represent my local community and add in little extras like the seagulls and beach huts so familiar to the Mornington Peninsula (though I did have to cut out the quilt shop to put these in, arrgh!).
Looking at the original pattern I realize I did make a few changes, it appears that I totally ditched the one big house that was sitting on this hill, and made two smaller houses instead (oops I only photographed half a house on the left, trust me, that purple thing is a little house!).
We have a family of geese that roam around our church grounds (oh they are so cute at the moment there are about 7 little goslings waddling around behind all the adults, so sweet), so of course the church block had to get a goose, though I think he looks more like a duck!!!
Teresa is doing a fabulous job of adding in her own touches, I love the pumpkins she has added to her Big Red Barn block.....
Photo from Teresa's Fabric Therapy Blog

Honestly, I will not be working on finishing this one anytime soon, I have too many others I want to finish first. However I have enjoyed taking some photo's and showing this one off.

On a housekeeping note...I apologize that I have not been able to reply to all my comments lately, life has taken me over at the moment (I'm fine, just busy), but I do need to leave a reminder here. I have had a few comments left asking me questions, however they have come through as 'no-reply' so I cannot answer them. PLEASE, if you wish to ask me a question could you send me an email instead of a comment (I do answer all my email questions). You can find my email address by clicking into 'view my complete profile' on the right hand side of my blog. Thank you so much, it distresses me when I cannot answer a question because there is no email address for me to reply to.

For those who live in Victoria...have a lovely Cup Day tomorrow! xo

22 comments:

Mystica said...

This is so detailed and beautiful. I am temporarily living in Melbourne (!) and think that you have been able to incorporate so much of your town into this quilt. This is a real unique piece of needlework.

Andi said...

An amazing quilt!
But what's more interesting to me is how much your style has changed in the past 5 years!!
So glad you have more vibrant colour in your quilts these days!!
Andi :-)

MÂȘ Clara Lloveras said...

It´s very lovely work!!!!

Vicki ♥ said...

I love your All around town wall hanger. Its fabulous :)

Shellie said...

LOVELY little houses! each one is just perfect :) thanks for sharing.

PS I'm having a little get-to-know-me giveaway at my blog if you'd like to pop over!

Crispy said...

I LOVE this pattern!! It's fun seeing your personal touches too :0)

Hey, loved your tree you posted on GA!! It's good to hear that it wasn't all that hard to sew up.

Crispy

Karen said...

I like how your personalized your quilt. I have the pattern set but have never done anything towards making it.

Dee said...

this is an awesome quilt and thanks for sharing it with us! enjoy the weather...we're approaching winter in the States and I envy my southern sisters!

Frances Leate said...

I just love house blocks and like you I often enjoy taking UFO's out of the cupboard to give them an airing. It is often with much regret that they go back to their home in the cupboard because other projects are far more urgent. Happy stitching!

YankeeQuilter said...

Looks great...aren't you just a tiny bit tempted to take a little piece of Kaffe and slip it into that quilt somewhere! A flower...a shrub...another goose perhaps?!

Nedra said...

What a fun quilt that you can personalize for your own location. Sue Garman is a great designer, and your applique is done to perfection.

Teresa said...

Oh, what a treat to see your "Town" quilt - thanks so much for taking it out and getting a picture! And thanks for the shout out! I love all your personal touches, especially the goose!! And your applique is so beautiful! I have 3 more "blocks" to do on my version, but I have had to set it aside to get some Christmas gifts made...I'm bummed! As I use my design wall to work on gifts, I keep covering and uncovering my "town" and it is sorely tempting to work on another block!!!! Since any side could be "up" (or north, LOL), I am still trying to decide what side to put the hanging sleeve on. Maybe I will put a sleeve on each side and rotate it periodically!

I really love your quilt!!

In stitches,
Teresa :o)

Cardygirl said...

Great quilt Cathy & it is lovely how you have personalised it. Good luck with the Cup today!

Hi! My name is erica. Would you be my friend? said...

Hi Cathy! It's been a while! :) I love that quilt...so much fun to look at. And I love the gulls, and Teresa's pumpkins. Such fun!

Miriam said...

Another beautiful quilt, Cathy!
I love all the birds throughout the blocks.
It is great how you have personalised this quilt.
You have a lovely Cup Day too, Cathy! :)

Sonja♥ said...

hi hi
Very funny quilt!!!

mieke said...

This is a nice quilt, Cathy, I love the changes and the little personal touches! It is funny: I designed a quilt myself, called "around town", a while ago, I will see if I can find a picture of it.

Doris said...

That is REALLY fun, I love it!

Shelley said...

This is so charming! I too saw this in a blog post recently and thought to myself "one day maybe I'll make that!" I'm about to start on the Piece O'Cake Welcome to the North Pole pattern using primarily Kaffe for the houses, etc. Should be fun!

Lynne said...

I absolutely love this quilt - I have to say, I would love to do one of these types of BOMs one day - all the little whimsical details - but I would never have picked this out as one of your quilts! That's what I love about quilters, you think you have them pegged as a certain type and they never stop surprising you.

Rachaeldaisy said...

What a beautiful quilt!! I love that you've added your special touches.

Marina said...

Truly beautiful! Is there any chance to get the pattern? Marina, a quilter from Argentina