Saturday, January 22, 2011

A Fabulous Trip!

Our little trip to Ballarat was wonderful! I had not visited Ballarat since I was a young child and the size of it surprised me. It is full of wonderful gold rush history, with many incredibly old (for Australia!) ornate buildings built in the mid to late 1800's. While it was so lovely to be a tourist around Ballarat, our first priority in visiting was, of course, Ballarat Patchwork!

Ballarat Patchwork is a little jewel that beckons you in as you drive into town.
Crammed full of colour (heaps of Kaffes in there!), and patterns and accessories it is lovingly run by the incredibly capable Emma who made Deb and I feel right at home (thank you Emma).
 Emma folding some of my stash!

We had not been there too long when we had a wonderful quilting star visit the shop...Jodie Carleton of Ric Rac fame!
Jodie is a very friendly, funny lady and has many beautiful patterns on sale in the shop. Jodie has two of her wonderfully detailed creations on offer in the QLD flood auctions, you can still get in if you are quick!

We also got to see Emma's incredible Victorian Quilters Raffle Quilt she has made (quilted by Vicki Jenkin)...
Wow, this is one quilt I would love to have come to my place look at those Kaffes set off beautifully by the white. You can find more info about it and see better pics at Emma's Scrap Bag Blog.

We hadn't really set our minds to buying too much, but we did come away with quite a nice little haul....
Most of these are Kaffes shot cottons and Brandon Mably's stripes with a few other luscious colours thrown in. And look what I found...
Aneela H of Comfortstitching blogs new fabric. Absolutely gorgeous!

Deb found some beautiful new Aboriginal prints that she wants to make into a table runner (Deb doesn't have a quilt blog so when she makes it up, I will get a photo!)...
And some gorgeous brights to go along with the beautiful Don't Look Now Little Monsters Pattern by Kellie W.
I purchased another little nifty item that I will get pics for next time. Overall we spent two fabulous hours wandering amongst the fabrics and chatting with new friends. I will definitely be visiting again! xo

21 comments:

Ann Marie said...

Oh I love that Victorian quilters quilt........WOW!!!!

Chookyblue...... said...

what a great stop........miss ric rac is lovely isn't she..........

Janet said...

What a lovely shop and fancy seeing Jodie, how wonderful. I'm slowly collecting monster fabric too.

Jackie said...

What a fabulous little shop!! Just up my alley. That quilt is absolutely to die for, simply gorgeous. I hopped on over to her blog and love the Kaffes set against that background. How nice to meet up with Jodie too! A wonderful trip for sure!

Emma said...

It was lovely to you you too Cathy!
Come and visit again soon, em

Barb said...

Those fabrics are just awesome....thanks for showing us the quilt shop and that one raffle quilt is just wonderful!!!

Andi said...

I get the impression Jodie spends rather a lot of her time in that shop.
But who can blame her?
Andi x

Nedra said...

What a wonderful store. It's the first I've heard of it (since I'm from the U.S.) I can see why you loved it. Great Kaffes, etc.

Stephanie said...

Wonderful quilt shop and a celebrity visitor. Great fabric purchases too. Looks like a good time.

Evelyn said...

What a beautiful store and great quilts. I don´t think that stores like this even exist here in Austria. Wonderful.

alobsiger said...

WHAT A GORGEOUS SHOP! Oh dear, oh dear! Those windows! Love the stacks you and Deb chose -- very cheerful. And to have one of Aneela's packs -- LUCKY GIRL! :-) I keep telling myself that April isn't far away. hee hee Have fun with your new purchases!

Ann Champion said...

What a fun shop..and fun trip! You got some nice goodies.
The raffle quilt is gorgeous!

ranette said...

Looks like a very successful trip Cathy! What a gorgeous quilt and fabrics!!!

Nifty Quilts said...

Thank you for the fun tour! You have convinced me to visit Ballarat someday.

Kim D. said...

What a beautiful shop, love the stained glass in the top of the windows. Emma's raffle quilt is gorgeous, Wow! Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

Hi! My name is erica. Would you be my friend? said...

I'm glad you had fun! That seems like a fun shop...wish I could visit it. :) I look forward to seeing Deb's projects.

meli B said...

Love what you bought. I did not know Sherbet Pips was already available. Have you decided what colours you are using for the Kaffe Workshop? I think I am going to have to bring a ton of fabric in. It's too hard to choose but I really want to use what I have.

quiltmom said...

Those are some stunning fabrics that you found on your visit to the quilt shop. I do love the aboriginal fabrics too.
The Victoria raffle quilt is absolutely gorgeous - what beautiful quilting and terrific piecing.
Thanks for sharing all the wonderful pieces.
Regards,
Anna

Anonymous said...

Hey Cathy, I'm 'scared' that in 10 years I'll be just like you, hunting down the most beautiful materials and shops, a house full of colour/material,designing,UFOs and consequently living in an overgrown jungle and maybe even forgetting to go to work!!And I'm only up to my 2nd quilt. Thanks for your wonderful inspiration, help and fiendship. Kathy xxoo

sewjourn said...

Isn't B'rat Patchwork just the BEST shop? And fancy seeing Miss Ric-Rac there.....quite a common sight I think!

Sonja♥ said...

Are you going to quilt the "little monsters" plaid!? Woaw, I love this one from DLK!:)
This shop (and blog) looks amazing!!!!