Saturday, April 16, 2011

A Weekend of Achievement

Yesterday and today I have been playing with colour! Playing with fabric! Oh the fun you can have in your own sewing room!! Old fabrics are being pulled out of drawers where they have been lurking for years, newer fabrics are being sorted back into their colour piles. I have a long way to go, but I'm getting organised.

It struck me last night that we have UFO's and WIP's for quilts in progress, but what do we have for old fabrics that haven't even made it to the quilt stage yet? OFYTBU's perhaps? (Old Fabrics Yet To Be Used). OFN's? (Old Fabrics Neglected?). I don't know, I'm not very good with names. I have decided though, that I am going to take some of my years old fabrics (I'm talking between 5-15 years and not a Kaffe or Amy Butler in sight!) and make them into a somewhat modern quilt. Will that work? Perhaps add some red spots or black and white toile to spice up a duller colour scheme. Or just use a more modern looking pattern like, say, a stripe quilt, with some lovely straightline quilting? Then I can call these fabrics OFMM's! (Old Fabrics Made Modern). Ok, I give up on the names, but over the next few months I hope to show some older, loved fabrics turned into something new.

And because I have been rolling in, err, sorting out fabrics, rather than creating anything, I will show an older quilt that I made about 5 years ago. This is an Aardvark quilt pattern called Harlequin that I purchased from Lisa Prior Lucy's shop Glorious Colour in kit form.


I just love it. To quilt it I did the large diamonds with a freemotion clamshell, the smaller diamonds with a stipple, and the 4 patch diamonds with a freemotion diamond shape.


The back was a bit of hodgepodge, whatever I had in the stash that fitted! All gorgeous Kaffe fabrics of course!


Pretty isn't it? Have a fabulous Weekend. xo

22 comments:

Janet said...

What a great finish, bet it makes you feel good and the quilting looks amazing. I'm going to see what fabrics you call old and see what you can do to give them a makeover, I might get some ideas. My really old ones got relegated to bags but with the price of fabric sure to rise, I better hang onto them.

Cardygirl said...

Looks great...some old fabrics are hard to use as our tastes change...love to see what you do with yours!

Ruth said...

Love the diamonds!

Andi said...

Its gorgeous!!!

Oops-Lah said...

I agree, your quilting is amazing! And I'm always telling my husband that fabrics have to be stored before they can be used like good wine ;). So far he's still believing it. I must say, it gives me great enjoyment to be able to use some of my oldies with my more current fabrics.

Crispy said...

Beautiful quilt!!! I love the OFN name, that's what I'll call mine too :0)

Crispy

Jackie said...

No, I am not good at names either. Acronyms especially! I love your old quilt. Really isn't old though. Wonderful quilting and finish.

Stephanie said...

Very pretty! Great quilting. Terrific finish.

J said...

OFMM-'Old Fabrics Made Modern'- perfect acronym! I have been staring lately at my oldies (but goodies) wondering what to do with them to spice them up. Will be eagerly looking forward to your future posts to see what ideas you have. Great post!

ranette said...

Love the Harlequin quilt. I have that pattern, but have I made it...No I haven't, but after seeing your beautiful quilt, I might :)

I usually just donate my old fabrics, but I am excited to see what you do with your OFMM.

Helen in Switzerland said...

I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do with the old fabrics Cathy. I periodically make a real scrap quilt to get rid of some of mine. Most of them seem to be sol ugly that I'm amazed I even bought them in the first place, but somehow in a scrap quilt they fit in just fine!

Dee said...

Oh, another beautiful quilt from one of my favorite quilters! This is just lovely!

Your post is inspiring me to go through my fabrics. Another way to make sure fabric not seen in a while and not as much of a favorite as it once was, for me anyway-is to donate the fabric to a group that makes quilts for orphans all over the world. Waste not, want not.

2ne said...

Lovely quilt and great work :-)

Barb said...

I love your older quilt and to be honest, just because a fabric is older doesn't mean it can't be fashionable.....some of these older fabrics make wonderful quilts...so cant' wait to see som magic from over there.

Nedra said...

Sometimes it's kind of scary pulling out old fabrics. My tastes have really changed. I keep thinking if I blend some old with the new, the stash piles will eventually get smaller.
Love the quilting patterns you selected.

wishes, true and kind said...

How pretty! I've owned that pattern for a year or two and still haven't made it! I just love all those diamonds!

Anna said...

"POOOF" projects out of old fabric! I love your quilt! and I love that you finished!

Talin's Corner said...

Very pretty! I love the quilting on your quilt. I used to feel guilty having fabrics on the shelves waiting to be used, but now I am so happy to have a stash.

Debra said...

my god, your work is stunning...love your style :)

Hi! My name is erica. Would you be my friend? said...

I still can't believe you quilt with a regular machine! It's beautiful!

imquilternity said...

LOL! You are funny! I have fabrics that are in those categories - I guess we all do. There is such a color difference between them and the newer fabrics so I totally understand what you are saying. It will be fun and interesting to see what you do with them. I love the quilt you made and your quilting (as usual) is gorgeous!!

Sonja♥ said...

Your quilting (clamshells) are amazing!!!