Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Japanese x and + Blocks

My blog reading a couple of days ago took me over to the lovely Mrs Schmenkman's blog where I spied these gorgeous Japanese x and + blocks (along with another beautiful block Mrs S is hopefully going to make a tutorial for, hint, hint!!). She linked to a fabulous tutorial for these Japanese x and + blocks over on Badskirt Amy's blog. Amy linked to the Japanese x and + block quiltalong happening over at flickr and I simply had to join up!!!


Amy's fabulous instructions for these blocks (here) are brilliant and easy to follow with great tips and straightforward photo's (thanks Amy). These blocks do take a lot of work in the cutting department, but wow, they are so much fun to make, I'm having a blast!


There is perhaps a little too much colour in my blocks and the eye doesn't really know where to rest, but I'm going with it. I'm trying to mainly only use what is already in my stash, though some of these are not that old!

Oops, upside down strawberries anyone?!

I think the best hint I can give is to start these blocks with a brand new sparkling rotary cutter blade!! If you take these blocks on you will be doing a lot of cutting and you want to stay on the sharp edge (just keep the fingers out of the way)!


My wonderful sister sent me the most fabulous gift a sister can give a quilter last year....how cute is this little iron? I can sit this right next to my sewing machine and iron each and every seam as I make them. This saves a lot of time running to the ironing board every time I need to flatten a seam. Invaluable!


Woohoo, I'm in fabric playing heaven!


What are you making this week that is giving you joy?

22 comments:

Oops-Lah said...

What great bocks! But they do look work intensive ;). How cute is that small iron! I want one too!!

RED PEPPER QUILTS said...

Loving these blocks. Really inspiring work!

Lynne (Lily's Quilts) said...

I love these blocks too but that iron is calling out to me - do I need one of those or should I continue doing the only exercise I do - getting up to walk one pace to the iron then back again?!

Cardygirl said...

Looking good Cathy! I am making a satchel bag to take to Darling Harbour...it is making me smile!

Marit said...

These looks like a lot of fun! I am picking my sewing machine up later today, maybe it's time to get busy?

Ruth said...

These cross blocks look great all together! You must be pleased with the effect!

Kathie said...

oh these look wonderful!!!!!
those fabrics are to die for!
I am making nine patches :) and working on another project I just can't share yet :)
Kathie

meli B said...

It's crazy - but I like it!

Crispy said...

Nope the eye doesn't really rest except to look at all the pretty fabrics in this project. It's going to be great :0)

I'm lovin' that little iron too. What brand is it?

Crispy

Michele said...

Love those blocks! They're so happy!

Victoria @ BUMBLE BEANS said...

they look great! we just did this block in our Bee for Amy...I love all the scrappy fabrics! they look great!

Diane said...

This is my kind of quilt! love the scraps.

Nifty Quilts said...

Great block! And I love your fabric choices.

Meredith said...

I just finished the same block for the one block over challenge. I just have to fine the space to take a photo and post it. Your blocks look great.

Hi! My name is erica. Would you be my friend? said...

Ooo, they're fun! I think you have a team of sewists working for you. That's how you get so much done... ;D

I'm working on my single girl...kind-of. :)

Michelle @ the quilted tortoise said...

Wow, they do look like fun! I love how you're using the black and white prints with those bright colours too.

Jane said...

I love this pattern! It may be just what I have been looking for. Inspirational!

nicolette said...

What a wonderful block! Can imagine you are having fun sewing them together!

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

Love the idea and your blocks are great. I adore amy, too. I gotta go see what she's doing.

alobsiger said...

Yea! Love your blocks, Cathy! I am indeed working on a tutorial for the other block. Just took pics today (it's been raining raining raining here but I took pics anyway because it's going to keep raining) so it should be up tomorrow. For some reason I have a hard time finding fabrics I like for the corners of the X...I always get stuck there.

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Love this design Cathy! What a fun quilt to make.

Mieke Duyck said...

I am playing with my BrokenDishes-blocks...see more on my blog!
This block you are making seems great fun,perfect for using up stash!!! :-)
Happy weekend! M