Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Leftovers Mini Quilt Done

Thank you everyone for your gorgeous comments on my Leftovers Mini Quilt. I loved reading all your great ideas for what to do with leftover bits of fabric that often get thrown out! I have had a lot of fun with this one and it is now finished. It ended up being around 80-90cms (a yard) or so, of course I posted it before I measured it!!!


Mini quilts are so quick aren't they? I managed to get a photo of this yesterday just as it started to rain. We have had wild, cold weather here at the moment, and lots of hail. Today the sun is out but the wind is freezing!


After cutting out my Japanese x and + blocks I also had some 1 1/2 inch strips leftover, I'm going to try and use them up too. At some point I will get back to those Japanese blocks and finish them off as well!


The quilting on the back is all nice and squiggly...


This is the quilt after it was thrown in the washing machine and tumbled in the dryer...it came out nice and wrinkly and not too much fraying!


A little label on the back, this one is gifted and on its way to a lovely friend.


Also made this week were a couple of churn dash blocks for Christine at Once upon a Quilt. Christine is generously making up a quilt for Lurline's hubby Ed who has been very ill, you can read more here.


Mmm my stash is mainly brights and florals, not too many manly colours but I think these blocks will be ok.


Have a wonderful week. xo

20 comments:

Lizzie said...

Oh it turned out lovely Cathy, I love the quilting and applique at the same time, must give that a go...
Lizzie
xxx

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

That little quilt is going to be such a special gift for a friend Cathy! Love it!

Christine said...

Love the quilt and the block, thank you Cathy

Pieces of Sunshine said...

It turned out well Cathy.

Nifty Quilts said...

Great quilt! I love your choice of border and binding. I think the scraps from a quilt are often more fun than the original quilt!

Cille said...

Really smart use of the corner left over. I have a pile myself that is hard to part with. Thinking it would be the perfect back piece for my quilt

Mieke Duyck said...

I really like this mini quilt Cathy! Great fabric choice for the border too. You are a great inspiration! Thanks, M

Cardygirl said...

So beautiful Cathy. I am always a little fearful of machine applique but I love the squiggliness of the stitching!love the border fabric too!

syglad said...

beautiful quilt .. lots of great things in your blog I like. have a nice day ..

Miriam said...

Your little quilt turned out really well! I love the border fabric.
Great blocks for Ed.

Maree: said...

Love your Mini Quilt & looking forward to seeing what you do with those Strips...
Lovely blocks for Ed.
cheers

Stephanie said...

Very very cute. I love the DS border and polka dot back. Lovely churn dash block.

Kathie said...

this is just so adorable!
love the border and the binding too, great job!
must have been hard parting with this one
its such a beautiful, happy quilt
Kathie

Victoria @ BUMBLE BEANS said...

great use of those leftovers!! so cute!love the monkey wrench blocks too.. so worth it

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Cathy what a gorgeous quilt.....I may have to make one of these....

Nancy said...

Just too cute..

Michelle @ the quilted tortoise said...

It's turned out great Cathy! Where do you get your fab labels made up?

Are you thinking of doing the Farmers Wife QAL??? I am so in love with the blocks I've seen so far and have ordered the book, but i don't think i can commit to 2 blocks a week for a whole year - I was joking yesterday that maybe I'll be a farmers girlfriend instead and try for half…can I tempt you to join us???

Chookyblue...... said...

gorgeous mini quilt.........

Sarah said...

Your mini quilt is so playful and lovely. Thanks for sharing it with us all Cathy. xo

Crispy said...

The little quilt is gorgeous Cathy!! I love the triangle quilting with those polka dots, your friend will love it :0)

The churn dash blocks will work just fine and you have a good heart to send them!

Crispy