Sunday, July 3, 2011

Experimenting...

...with the Japanese x and + block. As you know I've become addicted to making these gorgeous blocks. I am still working on my blocks I started here, but I got to wondering how this block would look in just two colours. I have always thought that the Jennifer Paganelli Sis Boom toile (called Nuala but now oop ) is my absolute favourite toile of all time, and especially lovely in this pink and brown colourway. I teamed it up with Denyse Schmidts Flea Market Fancy bubbles in brown, and Kaffe Fasetts Guinea flower in white and brown. I really liked the block using just two (main) colours and three different fabrics.


However when I joined all the blocks together I didn't like it so much....it looks more like a x and + and - block now!


So I added a border to see if I like it better.


I didn't.                      So I unpicked it!!!


 I decided to make alternating blocks, so I made up some new blocks this time with brown in the middle cross...











twisted the four corner sets around...

and placed them with a slightly different setting to the usual Japanese x and + block.







Then I sewed the first block with the pink middle cross, alternating with the second block with the brown middle cross. I'm much happier with the design now.


Yes, I think I will keep this pattern.


A stained glass photo...


Now to decide if it needs a border or not.

I may be a little preoccupied for the next week or two. We have had a wonderful visit from my brother and his wife this weekend (til tomorrow), and also today we gained three extra teenagers, (our nephews and niece visiting from Brisbane for 10 days), so we are a full house. It is always fabulous to have time to see our family, but I may be a little scarce from here for a bit, I think I will be in the kitchen a lot instead! May your week be a wonderful one. xo

34 comments:

Ruth said...

This is lovely! I liked the first design too, but the final design you've come up with is really striking! Have a lovely time with all your visitors!

Goneaussiequilter said...

So fun how you've played around with this block! I love the layout you've come out with. Great job!

LeKaQuilt said...

I love how it looks in the end. And the dotted fabric with the flowers is absolutly gorgeous! Take care and have a nice time with your family.

Victoria @ BUMBLE BEANS said...

Beautiful switcharoo!! I do love the pink toile border.... Shows the print so nice! Can't wait to see bow you finish this one...Enjoy your company!!

Karen said...

I thought your first one looked OK but when you changed it around, BINGO, it really came to life. I so detest the whole unpicking thing but sometimes its necessary. Great job.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Thanks for taking us along on your experiment Cathy! It's a gorgeous result, of course!

Cille said...

Looks marvelous... Much better than the first try

Cardygirl said...

Have a great week with family...love that toile & the second layout is fabulous!

Annie said...

I like what you did with the quilt. I think you would get away with no boarder as it's so interesting.

Helen in Switzerland said...

Love the second version - you made the right decision! (as always!!)

Judith said...

Yes its nice having family over. I have just said goodbye to my sister. She has been visiting for 2 weeks.

As for your quilt blocks. The first ones looked lovely, But when you joined them together they lost their impact. I really like your solution. It's much more interesting. Love it.

Enjoy your family and try not to spend too much time in the kitchen.

Jodi said...

fabulous experimenting every step of the way! Love those fabric choices together!

Maree: said...

Love the Final layout too...Enjoy your Busy Household...
cheers

Nifty Quilts said...

I LOVE your new pattern!! It reminds me of something that Kaffe would want in one of his books. You are always so inspiring. Have fun with your guests!

Lisa said...

Great finish! Really spectacular. So fun to rearrange and try new patterns, you hit the jackpot here!

Nyla said...

Love your redesign! I would put the border on just because the pink toile is so beautiful! Enjoy your family time!

LynCC said...

Very nice! Absolutely love the change-up!

Ann Marie said...

Impressive! Both the final design and all that unpicking.

Thanks for sharing both versions. I love seeing how people work out a quilt design.

Oops-Lah said...

Wow, what dedication! I don't think I could have "stomached" all this unpicking. But the result is stunning, as always. Although I liked the first combination too, the second is definitely "the one".

Barb said...

Soooooooooooooooooooo pretty.....love the fabric you chose!!

Heartsdesire said...

Sometimes things don't always turn out the way we imagined, so we have to play around a bit. Your second version is fabulous. I'm not a fan of borders, so I say, no border. I always have trouble getting them straight.

Minka's Studio said...

Thanks for sharing your process. I've always been a fan of pin and brown. Love what you are doing!

Crispy said...

Oh Cathy, "your" design is absolutely gorgeous!!! You done good :0)

I'm inheriting 3 teens tonight, 2 for 2 weeks and 1 for the rest of the summer. It's going to be wild here too!!

Crispy

Carla said...

Oh, Cathy, you are a genius! Thanks for sharing your process and enjoy your family!

teawithhazel said...

love your final solution..it works beautifully..jane

Tarnyia said...

WOW it does look so good... love the changes and how you experimented with the fabrics... have fun with your visitors too xxx

Mary said...

In the end, it became beautiful!

Anna said...

I do like the second redition better but I would never unpick a quilt...unless someone was holding a rotary cutter to my neck! lol

meli B said...

I didn't mind the first quilt and I thought the border made a big difference but the rearrangement of the blocks is fantastic. I love your second effort but I have to say I really admire your resilience. That unpicker sure got a going over.

Selvage Quilter said...

Your fabric combinations are stunning! Thanks for showing your design process. I love to see how a quilt comes together, especially a gorgeous one like this.
Happy quilting.
Karen

Sarah said...

WOW!!! You are so creative Cathy! I absolutely LOVE the finished product. Have a lovely time with your family staying. x

alobsiger said...

Wonderful, Cathy! I love it with the alternate block and the colors are so pretty!

Michelle Brewster said...

Amazing how a quilt's look can be so affected by the color and presence of a border. I love the final....just beautiful!

Clares Place said...

Hi there I just stumbled across your blog. I loved seeing your process. The final layout is the pick – adding a border would be fantastic too!