Saturday, August 27, 2011

Bumble Beans Basics Quilt Gather

When my lovely blogger friend Victoria (Bumble Beans) put out the call last year to raise quilts for the homeless in the Bronx, I said I would send one. However I got slack and didn't get around to it. This year Victoria has teamed up with Pat Sloan (Pat Sloan) and together they have put out a second call for quilts. This time, I am getting my act together and sending over this one....


This quilt is an exact replica of Mary Mashuta's All Season Garden Quilt, found in Kaffe Fassetts Quilt Road book (pub 2005).


I love the zig zags on this quilt and hope to make the pattern again in different fabrics one day.


The backing is two tone, mainly because I didn't have enough of one!!!


300 quilts have been donated so far, with the target set for 700. You can learn lots more about this quilt drive here, this site also tells you what sort of quilts are needed as well as where to send the completed quilts. Jackie (Canton Village Quilt Works) has also generously offered to quilt up to 5 quilts if anyone has a spare quilt top lying around...though I imagine those five spots will go super fast!!!


Mine has been washed and now just needs a label. It will be packed off on Tuesday. I hope it can bring some warmth and comfort to someone in need.

As an added note: please keep the east coast of the US in your thoughts and prayers as Hurricane Irene is currently threatening and it doesn't sound good. xo

24 comments:

Maddy said...

Love your colours, l am sure that it will cheer up the recipient.

Lurline said...

Your quilt is so gorgeous Cathy - your genorosity is a wonderful quality you have! Be proud, My Girl!
Hugs - Lurline♥

Oops-Lah said...

Absolutely stunning! And what a fantastic cause!

Kathie said...

oh that quilt will make someone happy...
ah yes keep us in your prayers this is going to the storm of the century if they are correct. hoping it goes out to the ocean and the damage this causes is minor...
hoping we don't lose any trees in our yard and the power...they are predicting our power could be out for 5 days...thats a nightmare in my book
Kathie

Cardygirl said...

Great quilt for a great cause.

Quilts on Bastings said...

Beautiful quilt Cathy - I am sure it will be well received.

*karendianne. said...

Gosh, what a stunner to contribute to a great cause.

Stephanie said...

A very lucky someone to receive this beauty. I donated 3 quilts last year. I hope Victoria reaches her goal.

Victoria @ BUMBLE BEANS said...

Thank you Cathy! It's beautiful and when I have it in my hands and hand over that quilt to it's new home, They will be some touched to hear it's all the way from AU!! ;-) The quilt hand out days are the most powerful days I've ever been a part of. I'm so happy. Thank you dear! HUGS!!!

LJ said...

ohhh how i love this quilt!!

Sheila said...

I love your beautiful, colorful quilt. Pieced back are more interesting than solid backs :D Someone is going to be thrilled to receive this quilt.
Great job.

Pat Sloan said...

Thank you so much for donating a quilt.. I love you with all my heart!

Anna said...

what a lovely quilt! It will not only bring warmth but a smile to someone's heart!

Crispy said...

WOW what a beautiful vibrant quilt. It is sure to put a smile on someone's face. You have a good heart :0)

Crispy

Arantxa puntadas said...

Te ha quedado preciosa, seguro que da felicidad a alguien. Enhorabuena

Janet said...

What a truly wonderful gift Cathy, someone will get a lot of warmth and pleasure from that gorgeous quilt. I'm just hoping the hurricane might be downgraded and ther's no more loss of life.

Teje said...

Hello Cathy! I'm so happy I found your lovely blog! I just love your quilts! You are very talented and you know how to use colours! I enjoy seeing your colourful designs!
Sunny wishes from Greece!
Teje

Miriam said...

What a beautiful quilt, Cathy! I am sure it will bring comfort and joy to its new owner.

Andi said...

A beautiful and very generous gift.
Andi xx

PS Thanks for your lovely comment over at Mulgrave Makers. xx

Jackie said...

Thanks so much for the mention!! This quilt is just gorgeous!! I love it and I know it will be loved. We are still not home yet and are getting ready to fly home tomorrow. I know that our home now has power, but still no phone, TV, or Internet. But on the bright side not any damage! Thanks so much for your generosity!

Valerie said...

This is just so pretty and I really like the zig zag too - and what a good cause. ;)

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

That is so incredibly stunning. I can't believe how great it turned out.

Pia said...

Hi Cathy

Your quilt is absolutely wonderful!

Kind regards
Pia

Ann Champion said...

Your beautiful quilt will certainly warm someone's soul as well as their body. What a thoughtful and loving gift. :)