Sunday, August 7, 2011

Scrappy 25 Patch in Flannel

Earlier in the week we had a small burst of warmer weather which was perhaps why our plum tree burst into bud...


Looks like spring is almost here! Anyway, my scrappy 25 patch quilt top using Anna Maria Horner's gorgeous Folksy Flannels is done.


I had tried a few layouts on my design wall before I hit on the Scrappy 25 patch on point idea!! Firstly the usual two colours in each block 25 patch.


Some of the fabrics in this range were fairly plain, so I felt it needed a bit more of a scrappy look to it. Starting with a half 25 patch block then filling in the rest with diagonal lines of colour was a good idea, but I didn't like the end result.



Lastly I turned the blocks back on point and began again with half a 25 patch block in one colour...


Then added various colours to the block in perpendicular lines. Some of these lines cross over into the next block.


I'm pretty happy with the result and will definitely use this design again. 


The jagged edges will all be cut off and straightened when I attach the binding. 


I loved using these flannels, usually when cutting and sewing with flannel the whole house gets covered in dust bunnies. Not with this range...no dust bunnies anywhere, I was very surprised.


I am going to have to get moving on quilting this if I want to snuggle up to it while it is still cold, though I have a few other quilts to finish off first.

33 comments:

RED PEPPER QUILTS said...

Lovely quilt ~ I can imagine how very cozy this one is going to be with all those yummy flannels.

Beautifully pieced and I love the layout.

Oops-Lah said...

so beautiful! Are you quilting it by machine? Well, if it's not finished by this winter, there's always the next one!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

That is just gorgeous Cathy! I can keep it for you while it's warm there and COLD here if you like!!

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Cathy, Oh, that is just so lovely..

Ronnie said...

Love your creative twist on the 25 patch, but could you clarify how you did this? How did you "add half a patch" and other squares "on the diagonal"?

Sara said...

Very pretty! Thanks for sharing :)

Andi said...

Another stunner.
But you'd better hurry up and quilt it or you wont get to enjoy it until next winter
;)
xx

Kelli said...

Hi Cathy!
That is just gorgeous! I am new to blogger, only been here about a week. I look forward to following your posts.
Kelli

Cathy said...

Hi Ronnie, I was kind of hoping my pictures would explain because I'm hopeless at putting it into words!!! Unfortunately your comment is a no reply, could you send me an email so I can hopefully explain it to you? Thanks so much. Cathy

Michelle @ the quilted tortoise said...

What a great design idea! I also love the first photo with the blossom in the foreground and the lovely quilt behind!

Tarnyia said...

It's gorgeous Cathy... once again you have produced a fantastic quilt for us all to admire xxx

Miriam said...

Your quilt looks great Cathy.

I think you have found the perfect combination of colours and arrangement of blocks.

Our plum tree has burst into blossom too.

Anna said...

you are amazing in your ability to put together a design layout! I love it! How are you doing?

Kathie said...

love your new quilt, great to know you didn't have fuzzies all over due to cutting flannel.
Very fun quilt, sometimes simple is just the best,.
I bet this one will be fun to hand quilt
Kathie

nicolette said...

I love everything about this quilt, the colours, prints, lay-out! Beautiful Cathy!

Janet said...

Another gorgeous quilt, you're amazing Cathy! I love it when you go through the design ideas, it's inspiring. The flannel must be an excellent quality.

meli B said...

Love your final arrangement. I've never made a flannel quilt. Must be so cuddly.

Pieces of Sunshine said...

Your quilt is looking good - so are your plum blossoms!

susis quilts said...

dear cathy,you do such wonderful work wih your quilts,love the rich colours,you always use,happy stitching,susi

Heather said...

So pretty and bright. I love it!

Crispy said...

Lovely quilt and it was great reading about your thought process. Excellent results :0)

Crispy

Sequana said...

Here I was, admiring so much your jagged edge on the quilt - and then to read that you're gonna square it off....:(

Oh well - I'm sure there's no way to really keep it. But don't you think it looks NICE like that? A really wonderful design.

LeKaQuilt said...

Another gorgeous quilt from you! I love the colours you use :o)

Ann Champion said...

Your quilt is beautiful Cathy! It seems every block looks better on point?
I love the rich, happy colors you've used. The flannel must be a very nice quality?
This is going to be such a nice quilt to snuggle with! :)

West Michigan Quilter said...

You just amaze me! This quilt is awesome!

Pinkadot Quilts said...

Your layout showcases the fabric beautifully! Looks very snuggly indeed!

Ruth said...

I do love those good folks - and the layout is superb!

Stephanie said...

I have a thing for flannel. This is wonderful.

Cardygirl said...

Looks great Cathy!

Cate said...

Love the fabric colours and you did a great job changing the design around. Great photos too.

Letterpress said...

These last two quilts have been quite an inspiration--thanks for showing us your achievements!

Elizabeth E.
http://occasionalpiece.wordpress.com

beth said...

It's beautiful! What batting will you use?

Catherine said...

This is gorgeous!! Love the final design you went for which gives it a lovely scrappy look. Hope the cold weather continues for a bit so you get to snuggle under it a little.