Tuesday, September 20, 2011

For the Love of Applique

I guess you could say I am rather obsessed with creating quilts. But one aspect of quilting stands well on its own for me....needleturn applique. Yes, I have started yet another quilt (though with all the finishes that have gone on around here this year, perhaps I will be forgiven?!). This is my first block of the fabulous pattern Flower Garden from our Aussie talent Kim McLean....



These delicious fabrics are mainly those of the Japanese quilt maker and fabric designer Keiko Goke




Keiko's fabrics take me back to my childhood days, reminding me of crayon drawings and simple, colourful artworks. 



Most of these gorgeous fabrics I purchased from Superbuzzy and Glorious Colour. Liza at Glorious Colour has committed to send all the profits made from Keiko's fabrics this year over to Keiko to help her and her community of Sendai, who were devastated by the earthquake and tsunami earlier this year. I feel happy to know that my purchases will go towards helping this community in a small way. Thank you Liza!




Inspired by Keiko's amazing quilts, check out her gallery to see more (the site is in Japanese but the photo's are incredible!), I decided to do a strip background rather than a plain one, using mainly Keiko's fabrics...




with a few other fabrics thrown in (esp Timeless Treasures London Subway and Paris Roadmap as well as Lakehouse Annie's Seed Catalogue and Valorie Wells Dehli).... 




as well as some Kaffe shot cottons....



It is wonderful to be back to applique again, I had missed it so much. 






29 comments:

Donna~~ said...

Wow Cathy--you are so fast! I guess you really missed needleturn! :) Your fabrics are so great--it's going to be great fun to watch how your garden grows!

nicolette said...

All I can say is ooooooooh, so beautiful! Love your patched background!

Nifty Quilts said...

What a wonderful combination of colors and patterns! This will be a fun quilt. I'll look forward to seeing your progress.

Kathie said...

what fun! I love the idea of the pieced background! can't wait to see another block!
love this one ;)
Kathie who thinks what Liza is doing is wonderful for Keiko makes me want to purchase some of the fabrics just to help her.

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Oh Cathy that really is just amazing....

Annie said...

LOVE the colours

Heather said...

This block looks so interesting with the pieced background, I can't wait to see more! I too LOVE needleturn applique. Certainly my favorite part of quilting and I need my daily fix.

Janet said...

It looks great Cathy, so fun and it's been awhile since we've seen some applique from you. I do love a pieced background.

ranette said...

That pieced background is amazing Cathy! I am very excited to see your quilt come together and now I have a yearning for some of Keiko's fabrics....lol

Oh, how long did it take you to do this block from prep to finish?

Miriam said...

Wow, Cathy!! It is magical! I'm off to look at those quilts!...and Keiko Goke's fabrics.

I'm a huge fan of needle turn applique too.

Sujata said...

Wow! This quilt is going to be quite a happy quilt. Love the pieced background for the blocks.

Pinkadot Quilts said...

I love how you are doing the backgrounds...it is going to be a wonderfu quilt!

RED PEPPER QUILTS said...

Beautiful, inspiring work.

Keiko's fabrics are so different to those usually found in my stash, but I find myself really drawn to them.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Maureen Cracknell Handmade said...

Very inspiring! I love all the colors!!! I am working on a new applique quilt right now too. :)

Marjorie said...

I agree with you...I've just started a needle turn project and it's hard to set it down and get back to some of the quilting that needs to be done.

kim mclean said...

Looks great Cathy, love it, Kim McL

Ann Champion said...

When I first saw your pieced background I knew this would be a very special quilt. The first block is fantastic! I can't wait to see more. :)

West Michigan Quilter said...

Your block is beautiful! I haven't seen that pattern yet, and can't wait to get it! I love your fabrics.

fiberchick said...

You blow my mind!

Julia said...

wow, Cathy, it's going to be amazing!

Joanna said...

Oh gosh I love love LOVE Keiko Goke - I remember the first time I ever saw her quilts - she was teaching at the NZ quilt symposium. This was back in about 1997 I think? Anyway, her quilts were on display at the local art museum, and I still remember the feeling I had when I walked into that gallery. I never knew quilts could look like that. I must have made 5 visits to that exhibit, I just couldn't get enough of it. So I have just such fond feelings for her work. Her quilts changed my life!!

Danielle said...

I love Keiko Goke too !

pomegranateandchintz said...

WOW! Gorgeous! Looking forward to progress photos on this one.

Victoria @ BUMBLE BEANS said...

LOVE her fabrics... this will be yet another beauty of yours!

Oops-Lah said...

It's amazing how different your block looks from the original just because of the different fabrics you've used. I love it; actually I love it as much that I might have to order some of Keiko's fabric myself. I've already been drooling over them, but now, after seeing your block, my mind is made up ;). And I'm even doing a good deed (well, that's the story I'm going to tell hubby, in case he asks)

Susie said...

Beautiful as usual! Looking forward to trying needleturn applique one day myself. I love the fabrics - thank you for alerting me to another Japanese site. I love everything Japanese. Happy Stitching, Susie

Hi! My name is erica. Would you be my friend? said...

I LOVE it! And I love the fabrics.

be*mused jan said...

I just noticed some new Goke prints at eQuilter this weekend. Your project's looking great!

Sonja said...

It's fantastic, Cathy! I love your creativity:)