Friday, September 23, 2011

Where do the Children Play?

To celebrate the birth of my nephew James last month, I am making a quilt for him (of course!!). Just a simple quilt, basic squares...


...with a few square in a square blocks randomly placed throughout. These blocks are simple to make, but must be trimmed down and made square because they can get a little out of shape as they are sewn.


My sometimes odd sense of humour enjoyed the fact that as I took these photographs, my ipod which was playing on random in the background was playing Cat Stevens 'Where do the Children Play' at the same time!!


These beautiful, reminiscent of yesteryear fabrics are from Sarah Jane and are called Children at Play. They are simply delightful. I have added a few other fabrics also.


I had better hurry along and get this quilted before my nephew gets too much older!!!


I have to show you the magnificent flowering cherry tree that greets my at my front door every day at the moment, I cannot get enough of these blossoms, they will only last about two weeks.


This was a shot I took the other evening, I love the night sky in this photo.


Oh, and have you seen the new Kaffe fabrics? Liza at Glorious Colour has already tempted me with some of these amazing Frilly fabrics, I just had to have some...


Isn't it glorious?
Have a lovely weekend. xo

22 comments:

Barb said...

What a lovely quilt..and love pictures.

Pieces of Sunshine said...

Love your cherry tree Cathy. Does it smell nice too? Your night sky photo of it is gorgeous.

Donna~~ said...

Lucky nephew--those are such cute fabrics--and work great for a boy! Your tree is magnificent!

Letterpress said...

Not only do I love the night shot of your cherry tree--I love the banner to your blog as well. And yes--congrats on getting that quilt finished. My Children at Play are still in the cupboard.

Love the latest Glorious Color fabric, too!

Elizabeth E.
occasionalpiece.wordpress.com

Andi said...

Love the new quilt.
Love me a bit of Cat Stevens.
And love those blossoms.
Love,
Andi x

Oops-Lah said...

Gorgeous blossoms! Isn't it invigorating when everything comes alive again after the winter?
Lovely little quilt for your nephew. I'm sure it will be treasured and dragged around for a long time ;). And yes, I've been swooning over KF's new fabrics too. My favorites are the Parasols. MUST have some ;) (don't know what excuse I'm gong to give my hubby this time ;), actually he's a pet and doesn't care)

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

What a cute quilt for your nephew Cathy! Those children at play work perfectly with the other fabrics.

Victoria Paige @ Boutique Uniquely said...

What a great quilt! I love the random square in a square blocks.

Michelle @ the quilted tortoise said...

Your cherry blossom is gorgeous! And that night sky! I don't think i could ever tire of your blossom photos!

Janine said...

Love that quilt - it's just perfect for a little boy!

nicolette said...

Love your happy boyish quilt.The square in square blocks make it even more atractive!

Gorgeous blossoms! The leaves start to fall down here.

Happy weekend Cathy!

Miriam said...

What a lovely way to welcome your nephew, James!

The blossom is beautiful!!

Janet said...

Once upon a time, I used to have so many flowering blossom trees and fruit trees now I have none but yours took me back to a nice time. The little quilt is just lovely, the recipient is sure to enjoy it.

*karendianne. said...

What an absolutely fantastic quilt. I love the way the fabric works with the square in square blocks placed throughout. This is really fun for the eye to play with.

Stephanie said...

Very sweet. I love the square in a square blocks thrown in here and there.

Nifty Quilts said...

Your baby quilt is delightful! I think I will use your idea on my next baby quilt. Thanks!

Hi! My name is erica. Would you be my friend? said...

Hi Cathy! It's so good to 'read' you again. :D Sweet Quilt! I haven't seen the new Kaffe. That's probably best... ;)

Catherine said...

Isn't that the perfect fabric for a little boy quilt. It has a lovely retro look to it.
Your blossom photos are lovely and especially like your header photo!

Marit said...

A perfect quilt for a little boy! Love how you mixed in the square in a square blocks..
I am trying not to increase my stash (running out of storage) but I had to purchase some of this pretty line, too...
; )

pomegranateandchintz said...

Cute quilt! Gorgeous cherry tree - such a delight to looks at. Yummy fabric too!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Gorgeous quilt with gorgeous fabrics!

randi said...

this is a wonderful little quilt!