Thursday, October 20, 2011

Paper Piecing Preparation how to!

Recently I had a lovely comment asking how I prepare my diamond paper pieces for my Star quilt. It is difficult to explain so I have taken some photo's to help show how I do it. I'm sure there are other ways (prob better ones too), but this is just how I have done it for my diamonds with the very pointy ends!!!


Firstly I lay out all of my diamond papers onto the fabric I will be using (to make the papers I make one diamond template out of template plastic, then draw around the template onto a light cardstock). I leave about 1-2 inches between each diamond.


Then roughly cut between the diamonds.


Then comes the neatening....trim around each diamond (I usually trim leaving just over 1/4 inch of fabric around the diamond template).



Snip off the pointy ends, this will help to reduce the bulk when it comes to folding the fabric around the pointy tips of the diamond.


Ready to baste. Whenever I baste hexagon shapes, I baste around the shape stitching through the fabric only. However when I baste these diamonds, I do stitch through the fabric and the papers, to ensure I have absolutely no slipping around those pointy ends. I begin along an edge (not on a corner) and make sure the thread is pulled through towards me as I come to the pointy end.


Next I fold down the snipped off end and finger press it down.


Then fold down firstly the right side, then the left side. When both sides are folded down stitch through all layers to hold them firm.


I am always left with a little triangle flap, however this small flap is never a bother and can be easily held out of the way whenever you are stitching the diamond shape onto the quilt.


Continue around the diamond firmly folding at each corner as you go.


Repeat the same process with the other pointy end and continue along until you are almost back where you began. Take a couple of small stitches through the diamond to finish and to ensure the thread will not unravel and you are done! (You can click on the photo below to get a better view of the stitches).


Preparing the diamonds in this way does require work, but I find it makes the actual stitching up process easier if they are well prepared. This is what the back is looking like...


How do you prepare your pointy ended paper pieces?! xo

24 comments:

Debs said...

Thank you for the pics with your tutorial - very helpful.

Deezebra said...

Nice tablecloth! :)

Barb said...

Awesome tutorial!

Lurline said...

Lovely tute - you'll be inspiring so many girls!
Hugs - Lurline♥

Erin in MI said...

I prepare mine exactly the same way you do. It's funny, I don't mind the fact that the prep takes so long with paper piecing, but can't stand the thought of prepping my pieces like that for applique. Hence, I do needle-turn applique. Maybe it has something to do with not liking the iron?? LOL

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your instructions. I now use glue to stick down the borders. I learnt this from Sue Daley. I am a hexi addict and have found that using glue cuts the prep time by more than half.

I do love this pattern. Do you have it available for sale?

Irene

fiberchick said...

Thank you so much for this... No wonder your quilt is so exquisite!

Nedra said...

I am SO happy you did this tutorial. I have never known what to do with those little flappy ends before. I've even gone to the web site of the manufacturer of the paper pieces and they don't even give tips.
Thank you!

Sheryl W said...

Buying pre-cut templates and a Sewline Glue Pen means that you can do all the prep sooooo quickly. Give it a try sometime, it's great!!

Miriam said...

I prepare my pieces the same way as you.

Janet said...

I do the same as you Cathy. It's looking mighty fine, you must be nearly at the end.

Cape Pincushion said...

Thanks for these very easy to follow step by step instructions. I would like to try this technique!

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Thanks for the 'how to'...just love this quilt,,,,

Salley said...

I do the same as you Cathy. Quite meditative and cheaper than therapy! I am not a fan of brown but your beautiful quilt is converting me!

Cardygirl said...

I am never sure what is the "right" way to deal with those pesky tails...I pretty much do the same as you, but tend to glue stick now days for speed!

Helen in Switzerland said...

I do mine just like you do!!

Rie said...

Just last week I completed my very first paper piecing - it was a hexagon flower! I love it! AND I love this whole paper piecing thing, I want to buy more paper thingies & was looking at the diamond shapes & wondering how to do the corners.... and you post about it! Cool! Thanks for the tut, I'm not scared of diamonds anymore!!

Anonymous said...

just curious, I have this pattern and would love to try it on a smaller scale. can you square it up whenever you feel it is done?

Michelle @ the quilted tortoise said...

Great tutorial Cathy! I have booked into a paper piecing class in a few weeks as I have never tried it before and I'm really looking forward to it. I do love the Kaffe shot cottons too, so gorgeous!

donna said...

I love the whole thing! The colors, the pattern, and the piecing! What size are your pieces?

Chookyblue...... said...

I cut strips and then cut out the diamonds.............I have a plastic template and it makes it so easy and I only waste a tiny bit at either end of the rows..
.....rotary cut everything.........

...I use the glue baste too..........so much quicker.......

ButtonMad said...

I can't get over the huge amount of work that goes into each of these beautiful pieces - such a lot of dedication...but the results speak for themselves - beautiful.

Ruth said...

Brilliant tutorial - I always used to think these things can only be taught when someone physically shows you, but I'm sure this will work for many people!

KippysSoMature said...

Excellent! thank you thank you thank you for this!