Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The Art of Bag Making

Have you ever made a bag? I have made quite a few over the years, and thought I was pretty good at it, so when Andi mentioned a bag making class with Nicole Mallalieu I thought it would make for a nice day. What I didn't expect was how much knowledge, little hints & tricks and extra skill I would come away with from such a wonderful teacher.


Nicole Malallieu and Patchandi

What a fabulous day, spent with other lovely bag making enthusiasts at Nicole's amazing studio in Melbourne.


Sue and Margaret working on their beautiful bags

Nicki was so patient, calm, funny and very encouraging as we spent hours turning our choice of fabrics into wonderful bags.


Helen with her gorgeous finished bag
you can see some of Andi's lovely bag too (both using echino fabrics).


Other Helen with her lovely bag, I love the cane look handles.

This stunning Venetian home dec fabric caught my eye on ebay ages ago, and I have been wanting to turn it into a bag ever since.


Now I have!!


And the back...


All lined and even a clasp and a zipper pocket....!


Check out the gorgeous bag hardware, I love those o rings especially.


Thanks Nicki, your expertise is invaluable, I will have to sign up for a purse making class next!! xo

25 comments:

Miriam said...

Ohh wow, Cathy!!! What a gorgeous bag! That fabric is sensational!
What a wonderful opportunity you had to learn from Nicole and have fun with Andi and all the others there.

Nedra said...

Wow, that Venetian fabric really makes that bag. Good job!

Nifty Quilts said...

I LOVE your bag!! You really picked a great use for this fabric. Very special. I'm sure you'll have fun wearing it! I hope this means that your shoulder is better. No need for a reply!

Jackie @ Fred-and-Cissy said...

I love your bag, and its the perfect way to show off that wonderful fabric!

bec said...

Aren't they the best day out? You go home so much wiser! Gorgeous bag, that fabric sure had a purpose!

Cathy H said...

Love your bag, the fabric is beautiful....... nice ladies, nice class, a great day to remember....

Oops-Lah said...

What lovely bags you all made. And I too love a workshop like that; to learn something new and also come home with a finished project (and not to add another UFO)!

circle retreat quilter said...

What fab fabric and you satchel bag is great well done. Stacey

Michelle @ the quilted tortoise said...

Such a professional finish - it looks fab Cathy!

Janet said...

I have serious bag envy, yours looks gorgeous. Nicole is super talented and has such a lot odf good tips on her blog too.

Viviana said...

Very very beautiful.Felicitaciones es preciosa.
Saludos.Vviana

Stephanie said...

I believe I have made a bag or two. :o) I love using hardware. Love the fabric you used for your bag.

Isisjem said...

Love your bag! Looks like a great day was had by all! I love making bags. Probably my favourite item to make.

Maree: said...

Lots of Lovely Bags..Looked like a Great Group of Ladies...
Love your Fabric & Style..
Not Long Now.
cheers

imquilternity said...

That is the perfect fabric for your lovely bag. I also very much like the "pattern" you used (the shape of the bag, the size, the handles with "o" rings, etc.) It's really lovely - you did a great job!

Cardygirl said...

Great bags...looks like a great day out!

Amanda said...

Love your bag, I have to do a class with Nikki if half of what she passes on in her patterns comes out in the class it will be worth it. She is amazing.

m.e (Cathie) said...

Nikki is amazing isn't she!
what a great day you all had. love your bag & fabric choice.

Suz said...

I have several unfinished bag projects. I start, and then get discouraged that they don't turn out quite right... in fact, a bag making workshop sounds like a wonderful thing to suggest to a quilting guild to run.

Rafael's Mum said...

That's beautiful!! I wish I could have been there... I have been talking about making a bag just like that for years! Suppose I will have to dream a little longer...

Nikki said...

I just realised how colour-coordinated Andi and I are!!!

Thanks so much for coming to the class, Cathy - it was great to meet you. And many thanks for kind words here.

Andi said...

Yay for crafty stitching days with ace people and excellent learnings!!
Your bag is wonderful!!
Andi xx

Annie said...

Wow what a great class. Makes me want to do one. The bags are all fabulous

Sarah said...

That fabric is to-die-for and your bag looks so professional. Nice job!

pomegranateandchintz said...

Fabulous Cathy. Great choice for the fabric. What a lovely day you had.