Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Bloggers are Wonderful People Too!

On the Saturday morning of our stitch day a week or so ago it was pouring with rain.  I did wonder if anyone would come, but we had a fabulous turn out!

 L-R: Melissa (Meli B is Making Things), Miriam (Yellow Roses), Me, Maree (On my Verandah), Chris (Chris the Quilter), Meredithe (Pomegranate and Chintz), Merran (Merran2011), Kathy in front (a lovely work colleague of mine).

Most of these girls drove over an hour in the pelting rain to get here (apart from Maree who flew down from Brisbane!), and I was so thrilled they did. We started off the day with show and tell, oh my goodness what talent, check these out...

Melissa - Meli B is Making Things

I love Melissa's crochet bag, might have to get my Mum-in-law to make me one of these (or learn how to crochet myself!)


Gorgeous circle cushion!


Melissa purchased these ugly kimono scraps (her words!!), and turned them into a stunning quilt. I wish I could show you the real thing, it was really amazing.


Chris - Chris the Quilter


Chris' hexagon quilt is incredible. Over 7000 1/2 inch hexagons all using Kaffe Fassett and Brandon Mably fabrics. A true labour of love.


Merran - Merran2011


Merrans quilts were works of art in themselves. I particularly loved her Giant Dahlia (above). These two patterns (above and below) were from Michelle Yeo.



Merran's quilt above and Meredithe's quilt below are both from the same quiltalong challenge that Meredithe is hosting on her blog. They started with an orphan block, then had to add triangles, the next border was squares, etc. What a great idea.

Meredithe - Pomegranate and Chintz


Meredithe made this quilt called Tilt in a class with Kaffe and Brandon when they visited Australia...


Don't you love this idea...Meredithe has taken a vintage doily and turned it into a quilt label!!


Kathy (a lovely work colleague) and Maree - On my Verandah


Kathy recently started to make quilts, and she is onto her third beautiful quilt already. I love the stars.

Miriam Yellow Roses blog...


Miriam is prolific with the needle!! Her hand work is exquisite. This bird quilt below didn't really show up very well in my photo, but the detail on this is amazing.


And as for this one, wow, all done by hand!!


We did get to the morning tea (at lunch time!!) and some stitching, though I think more talking and eating than stitching was done.


I often count my blessings when I think about having a blog and the amount of fabulous people I meet out there in blogland, but I'm even more blessed when I can meet these wonderful people face to face. It was a great day and I will definitely be having another stitch day at my house in the future. xo

26 comments:

Nedra said...

What an amazing group of talented ladies! Each piece was my favorite! Lots of Kaffes and I loved that crocheted bag. You are very fortunate to be surrounded by so many wonderful ladies.

Anne said...

A privilege for all of you - wonderful company and memories to share. Beautiful work by all - just stunning.

meli B said...

Every time I look at our photos I smile. Thanks for hosting such a fabulous day. I will happily brave the wild weather again to hang out with you and your lovely bloggy buddies.

Andi said...

I'll try to get there next time!!
xx

Oops-Lah said...

Is there anything better than sitting and stitching with friends (old and new), especially when it's raining cats and dogs outside. So cozy. You had some very talented ladies there, it seems.

Kathie said...

how nice that you all live that close you can get together, what fun. I loved seeing all the quilts and projects a very talented group of ladies
thanks for sharing
Kathie

Quiltjane said...

What an amazing and talented group of women you are. A very special day indeed.

Cate - Urban Quilts said...

Nothing like craft to connect a group of women. Sounds like you all had a great day and I love all the pics of great beautiful work.

Sujata said...

Wow! What a show! Thanks for all the inspirations! looks like you had a great time sewing together.

Dee said...

Thanks for lettiing us come to the party too! What lovely friends and beautiful quilts!

Victoria @ BUMBLE BEANS said...

YAY! for fabulous creative women!!! I can feel the inspiration all the way across the world!

Helen in Switzerland said...

Wow! It sounds like you all had a fabulous time! I'm green with envy!! It's a shame you don't live in central Europe!!

Barb said...

What fun!!! I love all of the projects!

Nifty Quilts said...

WOW!! What a fabulous bunch of talent and inspiration!! You Aussies really take the cake on beautiful quilts.

West Michigan Quilter said...

Loved seeing all the beautiful quilts. You have a group of talented ladies. Thanks for the links.

Sandi said...

Loved seeing all the work you talented ladies have done...you are a great inspiration. It looks like you all had a great time sharing your love of stitching. Thanks Cathy.

Maree: said...

Thank You so Much for your Gorgeous Hospitality and for putting on a Great Day..it was Very Inspiring to see Everyone's Projects and to Meet New Bloggers.
cheers
xx

Susie said...

Such amazing and talented work. Thank you for sharing.

Adele said...

All that talent in one room! Everything looks fabulous.

randi said...

wow! there was a lot of inspiration in this room. how wonderful!

fiberchick said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous and more gorgeous... You Aussies rock!

Jackie said...

Wow, wow, wow! All such talented ladies with such gorgeous quilts! I have a few of Michelle Yeo's patterns, they are fabulous. I am just in love with Chris' hexagon quilt!!

Carla said...

What fun to spend the day with so much talent! I love that Meredith wore a skirt that matched her quilt!!

Chookyblue...... said...

thanks for sharing all the show and tell..........gorgeous..........glad the day went well.........

qusic said...

Oh, how I loved to see those beautiful quilts, thank you very much for your show and tell, you made my day:)you great girls!

Cardygirl said...

Looks like a GREAT day...glad you had fun!