Thursday, December 29, 2011

Handmade Gorgeousness!

Do you find that because you are a quilter, people don't tend to give you handmade gifts anymore? Perhaps they are worried we will see any faults or think that is it something we could make ourselves. But I still love receiving a handmade gift, particularly because I know the thought, love and care that has gone into the gift. I guess this is part of the fun of joining a quilt swap like Chookyblue's SSCS that she runs each Christmas. Not only do I get to make a gift for someone on the other side of the world, I also have the pleasure of receiving something beautiful that someone has made just for me. And check out what Judith from the Netherlands has made for me....


I love it. Judith this little quilt is perfect and I have just the spot for it, thank you so much!


Next post I will show some pics of the little quilt I made for my SSCS partner, also in the Netherlands. A huge thank you to the wonderful Christmas Elf Chookyblue for once again organising a very successful swap. You can see all the wonderful handmade gifts listed over on Chooky's blog too.

But that wasn't the only handmade gift I received this year. For my birthday my wonderful friend and colleague made me a quilt covered book for all my quilty sketches and designs...


This will be well used for sure


as well as a gorgeous timber thread holder with cute pincushion, lucky me. (Kathy's Dad made the timber parts, very clever!).


Talking about handmade gifts, my friend Deb finished her two monster cushions she gave to her nephews for Christmas, how darling are these?


Even the backs are beautiful. The pattern for these came from Don't Look Now's pattern Little Monsters.


On another topic, have you seen this months block for our bloggers bom yet? You might want to rush over (here) to check it out, Pat Sloans block is fabulous, but not only that, she also has a giveaway for this beautiful fabric...


You can check out all the variations of this block in the bloggers bom flickr group, I love seeing everybody's interpretations of the same blocks! I hope to make up this block with my Keiko Goke fabrics soon, but in the meantime, I'm having fun playing with some delightful fabric I found recently, isn't this just gorgeous?...


If I don't get back before Saturday, I hope you all have a wonderful New Years Eve, and not too much feeling like this the next day....!!! xo

18 comments:

Anna said...

oh this post was filled with so much love! I love it!!!

Nedra said...

I think we should be the FIRST to receive handmade gifts because we understand and appreciate all the work that has gone into them!
Lots of fun things to show in this post. Love the monster pillows for the boys.

Chookyblue...... said...

Cathy Judith made a gorgeous runner for you........it is so nice to receive something someone has made by hand.......it is more treasured by me........thanks for being part of the SSCS........hope your enjoying seeing all the hand made gifts.........and the sketch book your friend did is just the perfect colours for you.........

Oops-Lah said...

You are so right; it is indeed lovely to get a handmade gift. Although I do understand the "Angst" with comes with making and giving something I've made for someone who quilts or crafts as well. I'm always slightly worried that it might not be good enough. Silly really, I know! Love all your gifts you received, you lucky duck ;).

Cardygirl said...

Gorgeous gifts Cathy....chooky does a great job organising the swap...love the sketch book cover. Happy new year to you!

Janet said...

That could be me flopped on the couch after having a two year old for the night, lol. I love the hand made gifts you recieved, I really value the ones from the heart and hands.

Kathie said...

the notebook cover is just beautiful, I need to make one of those, I don't tend to make things like that but I love it!
very nice star quilt too, I agree its nice to receive quilts made from friends.
treasures aren't they? great fabric, can't wait to see what YOU do with it!
should I buy some?
Kathie

@pril said...

This was a great post. I am really diggin' the table runner and the monsters pillows!

@pril
KoolBeenz-blog.blogspot.com
For-the-Love-of-Pie.blogspot.com

Patricia said...

Check out this fabric called Aunt Sukey by In the Beginning Fabrics. I fell in love with this line a few years ago and the other prints in this line were just as interesting. Love your blog!

Jan said...

I love that quilt you recieved in the swap. I actually recieved a beautiful table runner from a new friend recently and was pleased because I have not really gotten anything crafty gifted to me.

Looking forward to seeing what your up to in the new year Cath.

pat sloan said...

The blocks are so fun to do!! loving all the variations... thanks for sharing!

Sarah said...

Happy New Year Cathy! I hope you have a wonderful 2012. Ours will be super busy with Travis having just landed a fabulous new job and me working towards my written exam in August. And don't forget Mary! Have fun tonight, xx

Jindi's Cottage said...

Lovely handmade presents there...love the quilt you received from Judith in SSCS...

Victoria @ BUMBLE BEANS said...

You Rcvd some nice hand made goodies! Some of my non sewing friends know I lie handmade so they started making jellies and kimchi and stuff like that... I often get homemade dushscrubbies and embroidered towels... My favs! Happy new year my friend! Hope I can make it to au one of these days!!

theshop said...

Hi, I found your post really helpful. It helped me all the way in completing my assignment, I am also giving a reference link of your blog in my case study. Thanks for posting such informative content. Keep posting.
handmade gifts

Talin's Corner said...

Those monster pillows/cushions are too cute. I just love them.

pomegranateandchintz said...

What lovely presents! It is so nice to received hand made gifts. Clever Kathy's Dad - like the addition of the pin cushion.

Ruth said...

That book cover is gorgeous - as is the mini quilt. What lovely gifts to recieve!