Friday, March 30, 2012

At the Treehouse and National Year of Reading Quilt

Last Saturday we had another Hugs and Kisses class at Treehouse Textiles. Five gorgeous women, piles of beautiful fabrics, amazing food and lots of coffee and treats all added up to a wonderful day. One of the things I have really taken away from these classes is the inspiration and enjoyment you get from seeing how other crafters put together their fabric and colour choices.

They are all so different, from a soft palette based around grey (looking a little like stained glass with the sun shining through), this quilt will have beautiful grey diamonds as a secondary pattern when the blocks are sewn together.


..to the use of just three colours, alternating pink, grey and green (another one with little grey diamonds in the pattern, these would look fabulous with perle 8 stitching in them!)...


..a great use of black and white in the background triangles with gorgeous grey, yellow and green (I love this palette)


..a gorgeous scrappy quilt. Love that mushroom fabric!!


...black, raspberry, aqua and grey, simply divine.


These last blocks were made by Michelle from The Quilted Tortoise. Michelle and I met through our blogs and then she realised we actually lived locally to each other. I love that our blogs can bring new friendships into being. Michelle is in the process of moving her blog over to Blogger, but soon you will be able to see more of her incredible work here.

A day at Treehouse Textiles is certainly a wonderful experience and a great chance to meet new friends. I'm rather tempted by the Tea Cosys and High Tea workshop coming up in June! If you want to be inspired check out Emma's blog here or like them on Facebook here to keep up with all the fun!

This week I've been busy with my other job at the library. As many Aussies may know it is the National Year of Reading (what a great thing to promote our passion for reading all year!!) and on Saturday we are having a Big Read Day at the Mornington Library which is lining up to be a fabulous day. My friend Deb (who has had some of her quilts star on my blog in the past) works in a school library. To celebrate the National Year of Reading in her school library, she has made a gorgeous quilt using the NYR logo.


It turned out beautifully. Deb had difficulty finding the right background for her logo, so she painted her own...I love the way the colours flow into each other. What a fabulous quilt to encourage kids to get into reading!


What am I reading now? I've almost finished Salmon Fishing in the Yemen (Paul Torday) in preparation for the movie release next month! Quite a quick, easy read, I'm really enjoying it. Oh, and I thought the Hunger Games movie was fabulous, great casting and reasonably close to the book.

10 comments:

Talin's Corner said...

Wow, those blocks look so different. I love the yellow/black/white/green blocks.

Nedra said...

So fun to see Hugs and Kisses in so many color ways.
And I work for a Book Store. Love the Logo.

Nifty Quilts said...

It's fun to see the different expressions in these blocks. I'm sure you teach it well!

Hi! My name is erica. Would you be my friend? said...

Deb's quilt is so wonderful. I love her passion for both quilts and books! :) I love seeing the different color choices too. :)

Rosa said...

Those blocks are very nice!

Cardygirl said...

The workshop looks great...love all the different colour combinations. Heading off to look for some new books!

Annie said...

Each color set of blocks takes on an individual personality. I love them!

meli B said...

Hi Cathy, isn't amazing how those blocks could create such different feels. They all looked great. Lucky ladies to spend a day with you at the Treehouse. Happy reading this weekend!

Stephanie said...

Besides fabric aren't books wonderful? I love the real thing, to hold in my hands. All of the blocks are fantastic. Each so different.

imquilternity said...

Teaching sounds like such a wonderful experience. Watching these beautiful creations come to life! I love the black/yellow/
green combination too!