Wednesday, March 14, 2012

At the Treehouse & Material Obsession

I had a wonderful day at Treehouse Textiles yesterday. Emma and Sarah are the most amazing hosts and their talent and attention to detail is seen everywhere. They kept up our strength all day with the most delicious macaroons, teas, coffees (latte with none thank you!), amazing food...the lunches were exquisite and very yummy!


We had three gorgeous girls learning how to make the hugs and kisses quilt blocks (based on Japanese x and + blocks). Check out that view, so inspiring, I could have stayed all week and kept sewing!


They picked it up beautifully and by lunchtime lovely blocks were emerging.


I can't wait to teach another Hugs and Kisses class on Saturday 24th March. See here if you would love to join in the fun and be thoroughly spoilt by Emma and Sarah!!

In the meantime, I've got a flying visit to Sydney this weekend for a family do. Almost two years ago I was fortunate enough to meet the lovely Kathy from Material Obsession.

Liesl, myself and Kathy when I visited July, 2010

This Friday I'm going again, yay!! I thought I'd let anyone in the area who might be thinking of visiting Material Obsession this Friday (16th) and would like to meet up, I should be there around 10am-12md, depending of course on my bus, plane, train and bus timetables to get me there!!! (I may be a little weary, I'm leaving home at 4am, yikes!). I can't wait to see Kathy in her new shop (she moved her shop to Drummoyne last year). I must remember to pack my camera. See you next week. xo

19 comments:

Nedra said...

What a wonderful time! I love everything MO, and how fun that you get to rub shoulders with Kathy. I still have the X and + quilt on my to do list, and everytime I see yours I want to get started now!

Lisa said...

Your Hugs and Kisses quilt looks really interesting, lovely colour combos.

Bronwyn said...

So jealous you are going up to Sydney to see Kathy and her shop - I went there last year during the SIT Sydney and desperately wished both Kathy and her shop up and moved down here to Melbourne - do you think you could suggest it? ;)

Bronwyn said...

So jealous you are going up to Sydney to see Kathy and her shop - I went there last year during the SIT Sydney and desperately wished both Kathy and her shop up and moved down here to Melbourne - do you think you could suggest it? ;)

Miriam said...

Congratulations on a successful day at Treehouse. The setting looks beautiful and the food looks scrumptious!
Have fun in Sydney...especially with Kathy at MO.

Patchwork and Play said...

Your students were quick learners- great blocks! Have fun in Sydney!

Oops-Lah said...

What a wonderful room for sewing/quilting. I'm not surprised you wanted to stay. Your students produced beautiful work, but that's not surprising either with such a talented teacher. Have fun in Sydney.

Michelle @ the quilted tortoise said...

So glad you had a great day teaching. Can't wait til the 24th, it's going to be so much fun!

Cardygirl said...

The class looks great! Have fun at MO!

Jackie said...

What fun! I am sure you were the best teacher and it really does show! I love their blocks! Have a safe trip and a fabulous time at Material Obsession!

Shocking Hocking said...

looks like you had a fabulous time at treehouse - and your students! enjoy your trip to sydney - i'm going to quilt market there in june - really looking fwd to it :)

YankeeQuilter said...

So jealous! I love the Material Obsession books...take lots of photos...

Lenna Green of Stitching Cow said...

Hope you have heaps of fun although I am sure you don't need much encouragement.

imquilternity said...

Congratulations on your class at Treehouse! It's not easy, sometimes, to be an instructor but looks like you did a great job! I admit, too, that I'm envious that you get to visit Kathy at MO. That's one of the things on my "bucket list". She inspires me. I just love her color sense. Have fun and be sure to let us know how it goes.

Pinkadot Quilts said...

Looks like a very fun time.
The lunch looks like a little work of art too!

fiberchick said...

What a wonderful day... I actually want to move to Australia because of MO and all you quilters! Your blocks are gorgeous...

Jenna Appleton said...

Really sorry that I couldn't make it this morning! MO isn't that far from me but I had to be home to collect the boys at 11am :(

Sarah said...

I can only imagine how wonderful your hugs and kisses class was in such a beautiful setting. The food looks amazing too! Yum! I've just had a week in Melbourne staying at my sister's place with my daughter - we had a ball. Made it over to Patchwork on Central Park and picked up a few fat quarters of Liberty... so exciting doing it in person instead of on the internet! Anyway, nice to "see" you. Hope you have fun in Sydney. xx

Cathy at PotterJotter said...

Hi. Have enjoyed looking around your blog as I base a lot of my work on quiltblocks and textiles. Had not heard about Hugs and Kisses blocks til now. Thanks! xCathy