Monday, March 5, 2012

Bound and Quilted

Considering I am teaching these blocks at Treehouse Textiles next week, it was nice to finally finish quilting my Japanese x and + quilt.


I always really enjoy using a freemotion style of quilting on my quilts (when I'm not enjoying hand quilting with perle 8 thread that is!!), and this was no exception.


I love the organic look to the quilts when you just put them under your machine needle and make lines and zig zags, crosses and a little stipple stitch without marking it all out first. It feels like doodling with a pencil except you are doodling with needle and thread (funnily enough, I'm pretty hopeless at doodling with a pencil!). Instead of changing thread colour for each different coloured fabric, I chose a light tan Rasant thread for the entire quilt.


Nice, slightly wobbly, character lines I like to call them! (which is what I'm calling all those extra lines I see when I look in the mirror these days!!).


I used the fabric I had leftover from my Wonky Star Quilt for the backing. I cannot get enough of this fabric I just love it!


The black and white polka for the binding frames the quilt beautifully.


Remember the brown and pink Japanese x and + and o quilt? 


That is next to be quilted, but for that one, I am going back to the perle 8 thread and embroidery needle! I wonder if I can get that done in a week?!!!

34 comments:

Lisa said...

Great quilt, reminds me of licorice allsorts for some reason. Such simple blocks but so effective when all put together. Great fabrics.

Beatriz said...

I love your quilts. Yes, character lines. I´ve got too - both kinds.LOL

Kathie said...

I love your quilts. Oh the organic machine quilting is great! I bet you had fun quilting it!
Kathie

Laurie said...

Gorgeous -- I love this pattern as a way to use up scraps. Definitely going in my "to do" notebook. :)

PamKittyMorning said...

Love how this turned out! The touches of black really pop. Love all the fabrics, just an all around great quilt!

Cardygirl said...

The quilt looks great!!!! You must be excited about the class...

Bronwyn said...

Gorgeous Cathy!! Love a bit of wibbly wobbly quilting and yes the black and white polka dot is perfect!!

Nifty Quilts said...

Your quilting and binding really enhance the beauty of this quilt. I love the informal character and color choices! Congratulations!

Miriam said...

Beautiful Cathy! Sooo much work in all that quilting too.

Love the pink and brown quilt. I can't wait to see how you quilt it.

Have fun with your teaching! :)

Oops-Lah said...

I love the quilting you've done on your X block quilt. I must try that out. Good luck with teaching; I wish I could come too!

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Another beauty Cathy...

Lurline said...

I absolutely love it - I wish I could have stuck with it!
Hugs Lurline♥

Christine said...

Totally love it and I love the way you quilt, have fun teaching next week

Sheila said...

Great Quilt! Love it!

Barb said...

I love the polka dot border, quilts looks wonderful!

fiberchick said...

This quilt is just charming in every way!

Anna said...

what a great way to use some scraps...now I just need some more time!

Annie said...

Oh, your quilt is so fabulous and whimsical. I love it!

kim mclean said...

Love the quilts Cathy! Kim McL

Janet said...

Both quilts look fabulous Cathy. I think the machine quilting looks like a lot of fun to do. Even if you don't get all the perle quilting done on the pink and brown one, you can always use it to demonstrate the quilting stitch.

Annie said...

I agree, I love machine quilting, but equally love to get the needle and thread out as well. Love both of them and thier different effects.or

Paula Hensley Murphy said...

you are so inspiring!!!! I just love your work.

Michele said...

Absolutely stunning! Love the binding fabric!

Marjorie said...

The binding is perfect! Someday I hope I'll get to the point with my FMQ that I too can just wing it. You are my inspiration.

Nanette Merrill said...

I love it and the binding just pops. This is on my must make category.

Maree: said...

Love your Quilt & the Binding is Great...Love your Attitude about the Quilting I am a bit the same..as long as You are Happy with it that's All that Matters...
Enjoy your Class.
cheers

Jan said...

They look supreme Cath. I love the fabric you use for the backing too. I would like to be able to afford to buy a whole roll of my favourite backing fabric and then use it on the quilts I love.

I hope to get some finishes soon too.

Sarah said...

Oooohhhh, love you quilting Cathy! Gorgeous!

meli B said...

The machine quilting is perfect to accentuate all the crosses. It looks great finished with the spotty black binding. I think your class is going to be winner.

Marit said...

They are both very pretty, and so different! Love the quilting, and feeling inspired to be more daring...
; )

Lynne (Lily's Quilts) said...

Wow wow wow this leapt off the page at me over on Flickr and I had to come and see more. This is just so beautiful it really makes me want to make one exactly the same and I really love your quilting and now I want to do some the same!

Ann Champion said...

I love the way you quilted this fun top. What a fun quilt for a class! :)

Claudia said...

What a wonderful riot of color! My favorite type of quilt. :)

Carla said...

Your quilting is so fun and so is the quilt, Cathy! I love it so much!! Great job.