Monday, March 12, 2012

Foundation & a Finish

Firstly I want to thank everyone who took the time to chat about how they did their foundation piecing and whether they liked it or not on my last post. It appears that on the whole, most people love it! As well as that, there appears to be quite a few different ways to foundation piece, not just the traditional or the freezer paper methods. A few of you may have even convinced me to at least give the traditional method a try. Once again I am reminded about how amazing this blogging community is...we have so much information and ideas, tips and hints at our fingertips. I love it!

Ok, so I have stitched up Dan's (Piece and Press) gorgeous cushion using the freezer paper foundation piecing method, and I'm thrilled with it so far. I'm thinking the border will be a darker grey of some sort, haven't decided yet.


This will eventually sit on my couch. My couch has been calling out for new cushions for a long, long time, so this is a good start.


Because I used the freezer paper method to make this cushion, I can reuse the pieces to make another cushion to keep this one company!


I've also finished the hand quilting on my pink and brown Japanese x and + and o quilt.


I love the softness and texture of the quilt when it's quilted with perle 8 threads.


More pink and brown on the back of course!


And the binding had to be brown with hot pink polka dots!


Thank you to everyone who has wished me all the best for my class at the beautiful Treehouse Textiles tomorrow. I'm very excited and will be back with pics! xo

18 comments:

Linda said...

Love the colours of your quilt, subtle and different. like you, I love Perle hand quilting. Not a fan of all over, machine quilted to death quilts, so hand quilting is my choice every time. Good luck with your teaching.

Quiltjane said...

Cath, the foundation pieced compass and the cross quilt look fabulous. I love the freezer paper method too. I have used it for New York Beauties.

Janet said...

Great job on the foundation piecing Cathy. The great thing about your method is that you have the templates to start again. Congrats on the gorgeous pink and brown finish. I love the cuddly perle quilted quilts.

Marit said...

So much eye-candy here, Cathy! Beautiful work on the pillow! This is very intricate, and so precise... Love your soft and pretty brown and pink quilt, makes me want to do some quilting by hand again soon.
And wish you good luck and lots of fun teaching tomorrow. I would love to be in your class!

Jackie said...

Love the cushion!! Just beautiful! And the X and O quilt too. I did read your Foundation Piece post and love the geese that you made. I have never tried the freezer paper technique, as you know I love paper piecing too! You should give the traditional method a go... I have a tutorial on my blog for it that may just convince you to try it!

Barb said...

Wow....your compas looks fantastic as well as your quilt!@

Nedra said...

I like your idea of using a round block to make a pillow. I have seen several patterns out there, and don't have the time to make an entire quilt. But a pillow sounds do-able!

Julierose said...

Love that pink and brown combo--one of my favorites...Julierose

Nifty Quilts said...

Wow! Love your cushion. I'm always impressed by your fabric choices--fresh and fun, yet warm and cozy all at the same time. Your brown and pink looks grand with the stitching. Bravo!

Molly said...

Gorgeous quilt and the quilting adds some great texture. Pink and brown are an awesome combo!

Dan R said...

Wow you're fast!. The cushion blocks look great and I can't wait to see it finished.

Cardygirl said...

Love the FP...and the pink & brown colour way...lovely. Hope the class went well!

MJinMichigan said...

Your compass looks great. Compass blocks are so easy with freezer paper faux paper piecing.
I love the perle cotton quilting on your brown and pink quilt. Good luck with the class.

meli B said...

Love freezer paper piecing. Think it's the best. Where did you get the pattern from? I have always wanted to make one of those star medallion blocks. You must have stitched all day and night to finish the x o quilt. It is absolutely beautiful and will surely inspire your new students.

Maree: said...

The one thing I love about FP is the Perfect Points...Love your Cushion those Points are Beautiful..
Have Fun Tomorrow.
cheers

Michelle @ the quilted tortoise said...

Oooh, I love that shade of green in your cushion! It looks great! Love the brown and pink too!

Chantal Thibodeau said...

Hi, Love your little strip on the back of the quilt. I keep that in mind for a future project.

@pril said...

The paper pieced cushion is truly beautiful! Paper piecing yields great results though I don't have the patience for it.

@pril
KoolBeenz-blog.blogspot.com
For-the-Love-of-Pie.blogspot.com