Tuesday, March 20, 2012

There And Back Again

And a great time it was! My quick trip to Sydney was fabulous, and of course it started off with a visit to Kathy's colour saturated shop Material Obsession. The title of this post also relates to a much cherished book of mine - The Hobbit (can't wait to see that movie at the end of the year, Martin Freeman being one of my favourite actors right now). Anyway, walking into Kathy's shop was like entering into a cave full of sparkling treasures (no dragons to slay though, unless you include the beckoning credit card in the pocket!!) I could spend hours wandering through her rooms (upstairs and down), which is exactly what I did!! Divine colour, bolts of gorgeous fabrics, I love the folded quilts sitting up high, quietly surveying all who enter here...


I have known Kathy, both through her blog, her books and personally for quite a few years now, and she never ceases to inspire me and make me think I could take on more challenges!

 Me (shocking photo of me but I'd been up and traveling since 4am!! 
Well, that's my excuse anyway!),
 Kathy and Liane

It was also wonderful to meet Liane from Berry Red Stitches while I was there. She too was visiting from interstate and we quickly fell into a chatting companionship as only bloggers can do!!

I am very impatiently waiting for Kathy's new book release next month, as soon as I have it in my hands I will let you know all about it! Of course I can never visit Kathy and leave her glorious shop empty handed! Ever since I spied Uzbek Patches it has spoken to me.

I now have a kit to create this quilt for myself.


Kathy packaging up my kit for traveling!!


This gorgeous fabric caught my eye too, so it came home to Melbourne with me.


The rest of the weekend was spent attending a beautiful wedding of old friends (the happy couple are in their 70's!), and catching up with lots of family. We don't get to have family gatherings very often, so thoroughly appreciate them when we do get the chance. Sunday night was spent quietly looking through past photographs of my (deceased) Grandparents. We came across some lovely little gift cards my Grandmother had painted for my Grandfather...


She was obviously very much in love.


Back home now and back to work and other things. I will be seeing the Hunger Games movie on Thursday with another Kathy, a dear friend from work. I loved the books so I'm looking forward to seeing this movie. Have you seen any great movies lately? xo

20 comments:

Stephanie said...

What a lovely treasure. Penmanship was quite artistic once upon a time. Too bad no one writes with pen and paper any more.

Jackie said...

Fabulous trip! Goodies to come home with a wonderful memory too. Great card, I am with Stephanie about the penmanship! Enjoy the movie!

Sheila said...

Awesome fabric shop! So much color!
I want to see The Hunger Games, too. It was filmed here in North Carolina. So exciting as many extras were local.
I did see a great Disney movie last week. It is based on a novel written a hundred years ago by Edgar Rice Burroughs. The novel was the first in a series of 11 books. Though the first book in the series was called The Princess of Mars, the movie was called JOHN CARTER. Got bad reviews from the movie critics, but I loved it! Go see it! The movies critics have it wrong on this one.

Marie said...

Oh, lucky you. A trip to Material Obsession would be like a trip to Mecca but I'm not sure that doing so from Canada is in the near future so I'll have to live vicariously through your adventure. It looks just amazing!

Lucy @ Charm About You said...

What a fun trip, the shop looks amazing!
Those cards are so beautiful :)

Nedra said...

I saw your picture on MO a few days ago, and it was so fun to know you were with Kathy having a great time. I didn't know she had a new book coming out. Thanks for the tip!
And yes, I'm looking forward to seeing The Hunger Games. Loved book #1 the most.

Anonymous said...

That Shop looks so lovely! I saw "Hugo Cabret" a few weeks ago. It was the best movie I saw for a long time.
Greetings from Germany, Inka
inka(dot)mangels(at)elaborate-consult(dot)de

Jacqui said...

I love the little gift cards made by your grandmother for your grandfather. So pretty and being handmade, so unique.

Chookyblue...... said...

what a great day out.......lucky you.......

Cardygirl said...

Glad you had a great weekend!

Theresa said...

What a gorgeous weekend. I'm hanging out for Friday too! I can't wait for the movie. My daughter even had me downloading trailers and interviews last night in preparation for our session!

Helen said...

Was an awesome day out. Lucky you!! I am pea green with envy!

Kathie said...

I can't wait for Kathy's book to come out either.
I just love her style and her color sense ... looks like a fun kit you bought I hope you will share your progess while making it.
the hand writing is amazing , beautiful.
Kathie

Oops-Lah said...

I can't wait for Kathy's book either. She has such knack designing quilts as well as combining wonderful colours. Glad to hear you had a good trip.

Doris said...

That card of your grandmother's is so precious...

Hi! My name is erica. Would you be my friend? said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time! :) The cards are beautiful! I did see a good movie...what was it? I really liked Frozen and Apollo 18 was just my type (love creepy space movies...a lot!). The Italian Job was good too. I haven't read The Hunger Games yet.

Sarah said...

Hey Cathy, yes, I saw the Marigold Hotel movie today and it was fabulous! I've been on holidays and it's been marvelous. Have been stitching, which has been great too. I have updated my blog if you're interested! Xx

Claudia said...

Agree with the comment about a trip to Material Obsession is way up there on my wish list but doubt it will happen anytime soon!

Jean said...

No wonder the cards were saved... beautiful!
We recently saw a movie called "The Way" really good!
I'm anxious to see Hunger Games also.. the books were fantastic! Makes me wonder though how they can possibly make them PG with all that they are about and all!
Hope that you have a great time!

Annie said...

Love looking at pictures of quilt shops.