Saturday, April 21, 2012

Sewing a Quilt Top Tute

I promised the girls at Treehouse Textiles that I would put together a quick tutorial about how to sew your square blocks into a quilt top. If you are new to quilting it is fun to research the different ways other quilters do things (via blogs, you tube, etc) and then work out which way best suits you. So this is the way I do it....

Now I am just showing how I put together a quilt top using same sized square blocks. At Treehouse we were making  Hugs and Kisses blocks, but here I have made up wonky star blocks. If you have triangle blocks or square blocks on point you would do it slightly differently.

Once you have your blocks all completed and ready to sew into a quilt top, you firstly need to lay them out on your design wall (I know, I am very lucky to have such a large design wall in my house!), or the floor or somewhere you can stand back and see your quilt design.


When you are happy with your quilt top layout, you need to number your rows, I generally do this from top to bottom on the left side of the quilt (see pic). I attach my numbers with a safety pin. (Click on any of these photo's to see more detail).


Now we need to get our blocks to our sewing machine to be able to sew them into rows. To do that, start with the bottom row, pick up the numbered block on the left, then pick up each block in turn until you have the whole row sitting in sewing order. Then I put that little pile on a plate. Repeat this process until you have all your rows sitting on a plate ready to be sewn. You do need to be a little careful at this point, if you trip over carrying this precious little plate of blocks, you will have to start the layout all over again!!!


Next I simply take my first little pile and sew each block together to form my first row. Once I have sewn all my rows together I like to lay them all out on my design wall again, to make doubly sure I have sewn them all  in the correct order. I usually lay them back onto my design wall, but I had fun pinning them to my back fence...


...they looked great when the wind made them dance!!!


Ok, back to business! Once all your rows are sewn and you are still happy with your layout, they need to be ironed. To make sewing your rows together very easy, iron your rows from left to right, and every second row from right to left, as in pic....


When ironed like this it is easy to sew the rows together, the seams nestle together nicely and just need one pin to hold them in place while you sew.


Sew your rows together making sure you are lining up the correct numbers. Once all the rows are sewn together your quilt top is done and you can simply iron these seams in once direction. Now lay your quilt out, stand back, and enjoy your creation.


I will be teaching how to turn your quilt top into a completed quilt (making your backing, basting, hand quilting and binding) at Treehouse Textiles in May and June. xo




12 comments:

Kelli said...

Love all the colors! :o)

Salley said...

That beaut fence always makes your colours sing. Very pretty.

Oops-Lah said...

Although I have been quilting for many year, sewing the blocks together is something I'm still struggling with and isn't my favorite part of quilt making. Numbering the rows the way you do makes a lot of sense and I will try it out next time I'm putting a quilt together. Thanks so much!

Cardygirl said...

Love them blowing on the fence! Good tute!

Kathie said...

great tutorial, thanks
love the pictures and I love the quilt
Kathie

KateHK said...

Great tutorial. I often use my phone to take photos of my design wall with the blocks laid out as I want them arranged. If i happen to mix up the blocks while sewing I've got a record of how i had them laid out. This has been a lifesaver from time to time!

KateHK said...

Great tutorial. I often use my phone to take photos of my design wall with the blocks laid out as I want them arranged. If i happen to mix up the blocks while sewing I've got a record of how i had them laid out. This has been a lifesaver from time to time!

Ailsa (Cape Pincushion) said...

Fabulous quilt! It is full of life!

Anna said...

The quilt is awesome...but you...are amazing!

Sarah said...

Ooohh, I love the colours in this quilt Cathy! Nice quick Tut too. xx

Kristy said...

Lovely quilt...another thought. Snap a quick pix on your digital camera once it is all the way you like it....then if the plate does fall you can recreate the look you loved.

Talin's Corner said...

Great quilt. I actually use the same process you described, but I use pins instead of safety pins. But using safety pins is so much better because I have found that the pins sometimes fall out while I am sewing and moving the rows around.