Sunday, May 6, 2012

Do You Spoonflower?

Spoonflower is a website where people like you and me can go to design their own fabrics. I certainly have not thought about designing my own fabrics at this point, but I have purchased a few from other designers and I'm very happy with the fabrics I received so far. Fabrics from here are dearer than the regular quilting fabrics ($18/yard on Kona), so I will only ever buy those 'special' ones that take my fancy. They are also not produced for the mass market, so sometimes have a gorgeous hand made feel to the designs, a little rawer and less sharp perhaps.

My first purchase was from the lovely Peagreengirl (click on pic to see more detail).


Her vintage inspired fabrics really excite me, I love her use of old photo's, antique script, birds, angels and even fish. Henry Fish is one of my favourites!


This one is so lovely I don't want to cut it up, perhaps I will just leave it whole and quilt it as is.


My next purchase was a gorgeous text fabric from Holliconger.


Holli has collaged random dictionary pages to come up with this very useful design. So far I have used it in my New York Beauty cushion (Piece and Press pattern) and I'm very happy with the result (yes, I must get this cushion finished!!).


Another fabric I am eyeing off is by Mimma from Mimi&me. She is fine tuning the colours in the hearts before I buy it, I just love the idea of red hearts on envelopes (see it here).

Do you use Spoonflower? To buy or to design? Have you been happy with the fabrics? Or not? If you design your own fabrics, put your link in a comment, I would love to see!! xo





22 comments:

Patchwork and Play said...

I subscribe to the Spoonflower newsletter and often vote on the contests, but I have never bought any of their fabric. I think I need to have a closer look!

Kristi said...

I'm always looking there but I couldn't imagine cutting fabric that costs that much so I have yet to buy any. I'm sure I will one day however. *smile* lovely buys!!!

diane said...

I ordered a yard of custom labels and also a custom fabric I made for a bee I am in. The fabric is very exclusive to the people in the bee so you probably would not like it. It is a text print with our names and blog names and locations on it.
http://www.spoonflower.com/fabric_items/new?design_id=993874

Mom Robinson said...

I have so loved your feedback on my fabrics!! Thank you so very much and the photos too... It is about the most exciting thing you can imagine to design and print your very own fabrics.. It'll be exciting to see what you do with them too!!!

Lynne (Lily's Quilts) said...

I love those fabrics you bought - I keep nagging her to get onto Moda and get a line made but she's very unsure of herself - I think they'd go mad - they're just too cool for school!

Maree: said...

Your Fabrics look Lovely Cathy I find it really Interesting I'm off to check them out...
cheers

Salley said...

I've bought from Spoonflower and vote in their competitions regularly. Such a wealth of talent out there. The fabric I've bought was perfect perfect perfect
It took awhile to arrive... they can have quite a waiting list but I am OK with that.

meli B said...

I think the fabric you bought is stunning and not expensive for what you have. It is always lovely to have something that is different from the usual. It makes it more special to use.

Marit said...

Thank you for sharing these lovelies. Beautiful design!
I have purchased a few Heather Ross FQ, that I haven't really used yet...
; )

HoffiCoffi said...

I've had great fun making a skirt for my daughter using her artwork for the fabric design printed by Spoonflower. I blogged about it here

Janet said...

I'm seriously drooling over those fabrics. I don't visit spoonflower, I'd have to have some of them. There is one there that I'm squeeling over, the ladies.

Susie said...

Wow! I'm off to check it out!

Cardygirl said...

Gorgeous fabrics Cathy...lovely to see some unique designs.

Marjorie said...

I'm afraid that the Spoonflower fabrics I bought have become the same as the "fine china" at my house. It's hard to find a reason special enough to use them.

Michelle said...

I drool, but their fabrics are more than my budget can handle right now.

quilt happy said...

beautiful fabric

Sheila said...

Beautiful fabrics! Very unusual.

doris batting said...

I have spent may happy hours surfing the moonflower site, so wonderful
not quite brave enough to order yet, but the time may have come now with your positive feedback

Karen said...

How very interesting. I never heard of this fabric printing service. Good for someone who wants the unusual and can afford the higher price for a yard of fabric.

Pinkadot Quilts said...

Very cool fabrics. I could not cut up that collage fabric!

pandchintz said...

Wow, this looks like one to check out! Thanks for sharing this information Cathy.

Madcap said...

Oh my gosh - now I'm writhing with want over Henry Fish!