Saturday, July 21, 2012

A Book of Joy

Kathy Doughty's beautiful new book 'Making Quilts..the promise of joy', certainly delivers on that promise! Such a joyful, dazzling collection of magnificent quilts, many of which I have earmarked to make up myself. Not just a coffee table book (though it is that too) this is a book that will be well thumbed and the inspiration for many creations.

(All photo's taken with kind permission 
from Kathy Doughty)


Here we see Kathy and her photographer husband (talented pair!) heading into the Australian bush with 22 quilts, a perfect backdrop for her often eclectic, colour drenched works of art.

From scrap quilts (I love that green)...

Greenfields (page 213)
to machine piecing...

I definitely want to make this one up maybe in liberty's. 
Sunburst (page 117)

to beautiful hand quilting on template piecing...

I bought the kit for this one, can't wait to get started on it.
Uzbek Patches (page 77)

and so much in between. One of my favourites is this charming Wagga quilt...

Wagga (page 205)

A few of the quilts I had spied on Kathy's blog Material Obsession (where she finds the time to post so much inspiration over there is beyond me, if you have never seen her blog, you are in for a treat!), but there were many I had never seen before. Back in 2009 Kathy started this quilt...

Pheasantville (page 137)

using this amazing fabric (Alexander Henry decor weight)...


which I had to get my hands on, and used to make this quilt (which is still unquilted 3 years later, arghh!!)...


Poor photo, will take some better ones...once it is quilted...one day!!

Kathy's marvellous book is available in Australia from her shop Material Obsession, and I've spied it over at Liza's place Glorious Colour too. Do you have your copy yet? Which quilt will you make first?

20 comments:

Steffi´s Candy Quilts said...

Oh, I´m waiting impatiently for this book and hope it will be available in Germany soon. I´m afraid that the shipping costs from australia would be more than the book itself.
Kathy´s blog is one of my favorites and I love her unique, beautiful sense of color and her glorious creations.

Cardygirl said...

Fabulous book, isn't it Cathy? I love so many projects!!! My AH fabric is still unused...but I gaze at it frequently!!

PatSloan said...

I've done that.. save a piece of fabric 'forever' for a special quilt!

What beauties in her book!

Nedra said...

I follow Kathy's blog, and am really looking forward to getting her latest book. Yes, I have ALL of her books:)

Deb said...

Greenfields is such a simple design but Kathy is rather clever with pattern and colour (perhaps it goes with the name?!) Sunburst would be beautiful in Liberty.

Jackie said...

Kathy's work always amazes. She has a great sense of design and color. Love the fact that you save a special piece of fabric for just the right quilt. I have several of those just waiting to be put into a quilt.

YankeeQuilter said...

Definately have to order that book...love her sense of color and fabric selection! Amazingly I have a dozen vintage blocks like those in the first photo! They've been hanging on my design board a year now!

Venus de Hilo said...

I do hope this will be released for American audience soon. No matter how much I love Kathy's work, $60 + shipping is way more than I am willing to spend on any book.

Little Island Quilting said...

I bought it from Quiltmania in France who are the sole distributors in Europe. That's my only grumble really as it is not an Amazon/Book Depository kind of price. That said it is a real smorgasbord of inspiration and I do like the circles quilt she made with Denyse Schmidts fabric.

Pinkadot Quilts said...

Ii really like the Uzbek one too, the hand quilting is so nice!

fiberchick said...

Isn't this book fantastic?

Nifty Quilts said...

Thank you for showing some photos from the book. It's still very expensive in the U.S. I'm hoping for a huge printing us. I'm sure it would be a big hit here.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

MMMMM - a kit for Uzebek Patches! That will be so fun. Love your quilt with the bird fabric from Alexander Henry! I could drool on that one!

Stacey said...

It's a fabulous book...I have already busted out the scraps and started making Soul Searching...great fun!

Miriam said...

I love that big stitch hand quilting and that bird fabric is amazing!!!

Lurline said...

Mmmhhh! A real entertainment - I browsed (again!) last night - a great book!
Hugs - Lurline.

Michelle @ the quilted tortoise said...

Ooooh, it hadn't occurred to me that you'll have a range of UFOs we haven't seen :) Looking forward to that!!

Anna said...

It's a fantastic book, I love all their works.
A hug.
Anna

Barb said...

I just love the hand quilting on that one...does look like a wonderful book.

Susie said...

Oh can't wait to get my hands on this one. Have MO 1 and 2 and love those!