Thursday, July 12, 2012

Catching a Breath and the Down Under Doll Quilt Swap!

Phew, what a time! We have just had my parents staying with us for a week, always wonderful to have them down from Brisbane, so special to spend quality time with them. During that time I was working hard on my first ever quilt design for Quilters Companion magazine. Here is a sneak peek after I took it down to the beach for a little photo shoot of my own, I will be able to show the rest after the magazine is released in December. 



I'm very excited!

Also keeping us busy is my youngest son who is involved in a local theatre group (people's playhouse) doing the Wizard of Oz musical. After months of rehearsals they finally got to opening night last week and it was very well worth the effort more than 60 youngsters, incredibly hard working committee, a wonderful orchestra, and plenty of parents put into it. We will be going back this week to see it all again. Isaac is in the senior ensemble and is also the understudy to Scarecrow, it's his first experience of the theatre world and he will definitely be going back for more!

Logo from Peoples Playhouse website

I now have a few days to catch my breath before I get going on my second quilt design for another magazine, Homespun. In the meantime, something else exciting has begun....

....Announcing the Down Under Doll Quilt Swap

I'm so thrilled to announce this swap is open again for round three. The lovely Kate (One Flew Over) has hosted this swap for the past two years. This year the gorgeous and gregarious Michelle (The Quilted Tortoise) will be our host, you can pop over here to get all the details. I missed this swap last year , so I'm making sure I will definitely not be missing out this year. The first year I made up a little applique doll quilt for my partner...



And received an absolute beauty from none other than Rita Red Pepper Quilts...


For those who are interested (Aussies only), make sure you send an email to Michelle to let her know you are in (instructions here!). Everyone can check out the flickr page, very inspiring over there. I'm looking forward to seeing what gorgeous designs are created. xo


13 comments:

Cardygirl said...

How exciting about your foray into magazines...I am so excited for you! Love the little quilts too!

Oops-Lah said...

You are positively on a roll! Good for you. Love the sneak peek of your quilt for the Quilter's Companion magazine. Can't wait to get that magazine and the one with the quilt you are going to work on next.

Jackie @ Fred-and-Cissy said...

I love the quilting on your triangles!

Patchwork and Play said...

Your first 'magazine' quilt is wonderful! Congratulations! Look forward to seeing more from you Cathy!!

Marit said...

Congratulations on your design assignment and thank you for the sneak peek. The quilt looks really fresh, look forward to see more...
; )

Janet said...

I'm excited for you! The sneaky peek looks wonderful and so does that lovely texty print. All sounds good for your sons foray into acting, that sounds full on for him and for you guys too.
I wish I could join in the swap but my plate is overflowing.

Kathie said...

oh thats so exciting I am happy for you make sure you tell me when it avaialbe I will need to get that magazine
I LOVE the colors in the quilt and wow that newspaper/printed word fabric looks wonderful for an alternate block fabric, I have a BIG thing for fabric with words on it!
Wizard of OZ , one of my favorite movies
how exciting for him and you, always fun to see your children shine.
Kathie

fiberchick said...

Congratulations to you and your son! Can't wait to see the whole quilt... The newsprint fabric looks amazing with the solids.

Dee said...

Congratulations Cathy. This one is an absolute stunner, the quilting adds another dimension to the fabulous colours. Perfect for the summer issue of Quilter's Companion.

Nifty Quilts said...

Wonderful! Congratulations on your design assignments. The sneak peek is beautiful. Love how you've quilted it and your color choices. It sounds like you have a very talented son. Congratulations to him too!

Hi! My name is erica. Would you be my friend? said...

Ooo, I love it Cathy. Congrats on getting into the magazine! Congrats to your son as well. Glad he's having a fun time. :) Looking forward to seeing what you make for the swap. :)

Rafael's Mum said...

Congratulations on being (getting) published! and how wonderful to go and see your son in the play! well done to him as well.

Miriam said...

Congratulations Cathy!!!! Two magazines! Wow! I love the quilting design on your sneak peek.

Congratulations to Isaac too! Best of luck for his next performance.